ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versamax malfunctioned today
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
I've never looked at a Versamax bolt but it looks to me that, if the gun has a rotating bolt, the locking lugs are gone.

Something had to break those two pieces off the bolt. Did you find them?

After looking at pictures of an intact bolt-head, it certainly looks like the lugs were broken off. They were initially stuck in the chamber still embedded into the brass. I picked them out with a screwdriver and I saved the two pieces. See pictures below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is reason to believe that the shell may have fired before the action was locked completely. Something ajar in the action from the previous shots possibly struck the primer as the bolt closed to cause it to fire prematurely. I realize only one of many possible scenarios.
70 years ago my dad had a Model 12 discharge as he closed the action with a broken firing pin. It had lodged with the tip protruding through the bolt from the previous firing and struck the primer of second chambered round before the action was securely locked up.
Fortunately he escaped without injury as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

I can see how that can possibly happen to a firearm but in this instance, I was swatting a wounded Duck and I believe the bolt had fully returned to battery since there was about 5-7 second delay between my 2nd & 3rd shot. If it had fired again immediately after the 2nd shot and without me pulling the trigger, then perhaps that‘s what could’ve happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

MCzar777 wrote:
I can see how that can possibly happen to a firearm but in this instance, I was swatting a wounded Duck and I believe the bolt had fully returned to battery since there was about 5-7 second delay between my 2nd & 3rd shot. If it had fired again immediately after the 2nd shot and without me pulling the trigger, then perhaps that‘s what could’ve happened.

Fair enough. The delay eliminates my suspicions. Hopefully it gets resolved and everyone remains safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You shouldn't have gone prying anything out of the gun, now you've compromised the only evidence you had...

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
You shouldn't have gone prying anything out of the gun, now you've compromised the only evidence you had...

I have about a dozen pictures and I had my Shotkam mounted so I also have video. I don’t think a picture of the lugs would’ve done anything additional to help the situation...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:31 am 
Field Grade

I woke up a little early this morning and decided to pull it back out of the safe and look it over more closely. I found some additional damage that I hadn’t noticed on Sunday when I got home.

It looks like there‘s some small chunks broken off of the receiver where the gas tubes seat. In addition to that, I think I’ve found two hairline cracks on the inside of the barrel. I’m not 100% sure they’re cracks but I don’t remember seeing them before and the lines appear to be shiny and they don’t go the entire way around the inside of the barrel. See pics below and I’ll update once I meet with my Gunsmith later today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

Since the Versamax is designed to handle the much higher pressures produced by 3.5 inch shells; whatever caused the failures had to be VERY high. I would get it sent back to Remington ASAP. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm 
Field Grade

I just got back from Gunsmith and he said it’s finished. He thinks the barrel is fine and what I thought were cracks look to be tooling marks. That being said, he mentioned that even if Remington could repair it, he personally would not ever shoot the gun again given the amount of abuse it took.

His advice was to still send it to Remington regardless and see what they say about it. So I’m going to send it in the next few days but I’m going to move forward with replacing it in the meantime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:31 pm 
Crown Grade

MCzar777 wrote:
I just got back from Gunsmith and he said it’s finished. He thinks the barrel is fine and what I thought were cracks look to be tooling marks. That being said, he mentioned that even if Remington could repair it, he personally would not ever shoot the gun again given the amount of abuse it took.

His advice was to still send it to Remington regardless and see what they say about it. So I’m going to send it in the next few days but I’m going to move forward with replacing it in the meantime.

Unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't replace it until I heard from Remington. They might replace it free of charge.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

That is incredible! I sure wish I knew what happened. It sounds like you were profoundly lucky that that is a strong gun. Wow!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:44 pm 
Field Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
MCzar777 wrote:

Unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't replace it until I heard from Remington. They might replace it free of charge.

I don’t necessarily have money to burn but I definitely don’t have time to wait 8-10 weeks either. I’ve got an out-of-state and guided Snow Goose hunt in exactly 1 month from today and I don’t feel like shooting my BPS god knows how many times in 2.5 days if I don’t have to. IF they send me a new one, I could always sell of them and not be out of pocket too badly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
That is incredible! I sure wish I knew what happened. It sounds like you were profoundly lucky that that is a strong gun. Wow!

When I showed him the shotgun hull (before he saw the gun and video) he thought that the gun had fired before the bolt was in battery. After seeing that the locking lugs had been sheared off and that the shots were not one right after another, he ruled that out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just curious , how the story ends ? Lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 pm 
Field Grade

Hey brother, I sent my Remington v3 back earlier this hunting season for an issue with the trigger plate assembly and the turn around time was 3 weeks from start to finish. I know it’s hard to be patient during duck season but it might just pan out. I would definitely plan to take the BPS but you might want to wait on buying a gun, unless you want to change gun platforms. Regardless, I hate to hear that happened especially with a hunt coming up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

I’m late to this thread, but thank God you were not injured. Makes me confident in the strength of the shotgun.

Can you borrow a semi-auto for your goose hunt instead of buying a replacement? Heck, I’d loan you one of mine if you lived close. My experience with Remington customer service and warranties is pretty good. I’m thinking they’ll treat you well. Give them a chance.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 pm 
Field Grade

43x wrote:
Just curious , how the story ends ? Lol

It’s not over yet unfortunately. Fiocchi confirmed that they received the ammo that I sent back and I have not heard a word from Remington even though the gun arrived over a week ago. I will be calling them tomorrow morning to see what they have to say.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do not expect expedience from Remington, in my experience RE warranty you REALLY have to keep on top of them, to the point where you'll feel like you're bothering them/calling too much, if you want faster than glacial speed.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 pm 
Field Grade

gvanek wrote:
I’m late to this thread, but thank God you were not injured. Makes me confident in the strength of the shotgun.

Can you borrow a semi-auto for your goose hunt instead of buying a replacement? Heck, I’d loan you one of mine if you lived close. My experience with Remington customer service and warranties is pretty good. I’m thinking they’ll treat you well. Give them a chance.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

I appreciate the offer and that is very nice of you to say the least. I ended up replacing the VMax with a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus. I didn’t feel like waiting to hear back from them and I’ve admired the A400XP for a while.

We’ll see what they say and none of this may have been their fault. I’m pretty much convinced that it was an issue with the ammo but we’ll see who ends up taking responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

MCzar777 wrote:
I was in the middle of a Duck/Goose Hunt this morning when my ~1 year old VMax’s bolt broke in two places. I’m not sure if it was a gun issue or if it was caused by the ammo but it ran fine all morning and I had put about half a box of Boss 3” #2 through it + 3 Fiocchi 3.5” #2s.

I’ve shot exactly 61 boxes of shells in it without a single issue and I clean it after every use.

By what theory could it possibly be anything but the ammo?

http://randywakeman.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next