ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Versa Max Warranty Mess
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Greetings gents,

I'm thinking I've been crapped on by Remmy for the first time. I'm a die-hard R guy but you gotta tell me if I'm rightfully pissed or complaining about nothing.

I sent my Versa Max Turkey back in after the screws in my scope mount stripped out a month ago at the range.

Today my gun came back with a note that said "warranty claim, out of obsession recievers, replaced with hardwoods".

That's right, I'm holding a obsession barrel, stock, and forearm, and a hardwoods receiver. I appreciate the brand new receiver but a different camo pattern? The gun looks ridiculous right now. Am I overreacting?

Remington shotguns and Ponsness Warren presses.....proof that God loves us.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
11-87 20ga.
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
Versa Max Sportsman Turkey
700 7mm-Express

Post subject: Re: Versa Max Warranty Mess
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I guess they wanted to get your gun back to you rather than hold for X amount of time until the appropriate camo pattern. I would contact them and ask whether you can return the receiver you have when the correct one is in stock. Either that or contact them and send the receiver back you got now, and tell them you are willing to wait for the obsessions receiver color. Good luck!

Last edited by oyeme on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

The tag says "old camo style no longer available".

I'd have expected a phone call or something I guess. Not just a package that was mismatched.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
11-87 20ga.
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
700 7mm-Express

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Ask them if they will take your barrel in and give you the one with the correct barrel camo pattern. Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

Worst case (maybe best case) is to have the whole gun redone to match all components by a competent Cerakote finisher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am 
Diamond Grade

I`ll be very surprised if Remington doesn`t ensure that you get a matched up gun to your satisfaction. As a customer, I personally think you`re entitled to that. Having said that, though the gun looks ridiculous to you, I`ll bet an inbound gobbler will pay no attention! I`m fully mismatched, me in Realtree Xtra and my 870 in Mossy Oak Obsesssion. Doesn`t seem to matter a bit! :D

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The gobbler might not notice, but I would. I'm picky about my guns and wouldn't want two different camo patterns on one. I'd ask Remington to either provide an obsession receiver or, if no longer available, to replace the gun with one entirely in the hardwoods camo pattern. They may not do so, but it won't hurt to ask.

How old is the gun and what caused the receiver threads to strip? If it was due to overtightening, then the damage probably would not be covered by warranty and Remington might have been doing you a favor in replacing the receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Two years old. On the phone with Remmy now. They claimed defect on their part on the screws. Customer rep said he can't believe it happened and agreed it's preposterous that they just sent it back that way.

Hoping to talk to management tomorrow. He is leaving them a note to call me back.

I told them I'd take my old receiver back and just shoot open sights if I had to. He said they scrap them immediately.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
11-87 20ga.
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
700 7mm-Express

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Angle for another one. They might bite since they admitted yours was defective. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

tkrysl wrote:
Two years old. On the phone with Remmy now. They claimed defect on their part on the screws. Customer rep said he can't believe it happened and agreed it's preposterous that they just sent it back that way.

Hoping to talk to management tomorrow. He is leaving them a note to call me back.

I told them I'd take my old receiver back and just shoot open sights if I had to. He said they scrap them immediately.

Let us know what happens. Sounds like they`ll make it right somehow.

Remington V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

Keep calling dont give up they will make it right

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Whelp, the verdict is in. Remmy will do nothing. They claim that the camo pattern no longer exist and it is what it is.

- - - - - - - - - -
1100 Lt-20
11-87 20ga.
870 Wingmater 28 ga.
Sportsman 58 16 ga.
Versa Max Sportsman
700 7mm-Express

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:32 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

tkrysl wrote:
Whelp, the verdict is in. Remmy will do nothing. They claim that the camo pattern no longer exist and it is what it is.

Verdict from who, meaning first and last name?

Are you the original purchaser of the gun? When, exactly, did you purchase it? Can you post a picture of the gun as received back from Remington?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Camo patterns are copyrighted and or patented, and generally licensed for use. If the owner kills one for a new one you can be in trouble finding a replacement anything to match.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

tkrysl wrote:

That`s certainly out of current character for Remington customer service. I`m sure you impressed upon them that you own no fewer than seven Remington guns and that there`s surely something that can be done to ensure your continued patronage and support as a paying customer. Certainly would want to inquire with someone " up the line " from a customer service rep.

Remington V3 Walnut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:32 am 
Tournament Grade

beavercleaver wrote:
Keep calling dont give up they will make it right

Hope it works out, still a great gun.

Last edited by oldshotty on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

tkrysl wrote:

tkrysl wrote:
Contacted Remmy today about my 7 year old Turkey edition. The screws stripped out of the scope base the other day when patterning. They didn't miss a beat. Sent me a warranty claim and shipping pickup free from UPS. Can't wait to see what they say.

This sounds like the problem. It was a "7 year old Turkey edition." That's well out of warranty. But now, you're saying that your 7 year old Versa Max is two years old.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Probably should have just replaced the stripped out screws with the larger size ones. I think my Mossberg uses the larger sizes one from the beginning. But since you got a new receiver, probably just ought to get used to having a two tone gun, makes your gun unique.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:34 am 
Field Grade

??? Looking at the Remington site now...Versa Max Turkey picture very clearly shows it in Mossy Oak Obsession, the Overview states "...availible (sic) in Mossy Oak Obsession and Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo...", and the Specifications state the finish is "Mossy Oak Obsession Camo".

If you're using a Weaver 48454 base as I suspect you are, be advised the provided machine screws are far too short and allow only a couple of threads to engage. I ordered longer, torx head screws for my gun (exactly like yours) and then reduced the length to where they were slightly below flush in order to get full thread engagement.

Short screws + over-tightening + aluminum receiver = stripped threads.

Call them back and ask why their website is still showing this gun in Mossy Oak Obsession.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:46 am 
Diamond Grade

MarkHodson wrote:
??? Looking at the Remington site now...Versa Max Turkey picture very clearly shows it in Mossy Oak Obsession, the Overview states "...availible (sic) in Mossy Oak Obsession and Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo...", and the Specifications state the finish is "Mossy Oak Obsession Camo".

If you're using a Weaver 48454 base as I suspect you are, be advised the provided machine screws are far too short and allow only a couple of threads to engage. I ordered longer, torx head screws for my gun (exactly like yours) and then reduced the length to where they were slightly below flush in order to get full thread engagement.

Short screws + over-tightening + aluminum receiver = stripped threads.

Call them back and ask why their website is still showing this gun in Mossy Oak Obsession.

Good luck

Wholeheartedly agree. This may not be over. A respectful, non-confrontional and rational inquiry up the line a bit may well result in a better outcome for you. I personally think it`s well worth a try. What`s the worst that can happen?

Remington V3 Walnut