ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V3 trigger not always resetting to fire the second shot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:29 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Here is something else that can contribute to unreliable cycling on a semi-auto when shooting in cold weather, and that is the extra clothing may cushion the recoil too much and result in inconsistent cycling of the action.

Semi-auto guns need a reasonably solid resistance to rearward movement for reliable functioning. Otherwise, the recoil will move the WHOLE GUN rearward and this lessens the momentum difference between the bolt assembly and the rest of the gun. When you have internal springs (such as semi-autos do), then these springs need something solid to push against. If the whole gun is moving rearward rather easily, then it lessens the "push/resistance" effect that the springs depend on for reliable functioning.

Are you sure? The cycling of the V3 seems to be entirely from the gas system and not due to the recoil at all. I’ve shot my V3 one handed and it cycled just fine. The gun is so soft shooting that I don’t think that recoil plays any part of the cycling. My 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wowzer wrote:
Are you sure? The cycling of the V3 seems to be entirely from the gas system and not due to the recoil at all. I’ve shot my V3 one handed and it cycled just fine. The gun is so soft shooting that I don’t think that recoil plays any part of the cycling. My 2 cents worth.

You are correct. While all recoil and inertia action guns need backing up at some point, some gas guns do not. I won $50 long ago when my 1100 functioned perfectly while hanging from a tree on two strings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
Wowzer wrote:

You are correct. While all recoil and inertia action guns need backing up at some point, some gas guns do not. I won $50 long ago when my 1100 functioned perfectly while hanging from a tree on two strings.

And what if someone took a different 1100 (or some other semi-auto) and did the same test and the gun did NOT cycle properly? While I haven't done the "suspended by strings" test, I have seen on several occasions when a gun wouldn't cycle properly when shot by one shooter (usually an inexperienced shooter), but the same gun with the same ammo would cycle properly with a different (more experienced) shooter. I can only conclude that it is due to the resistance (or lack thereof) to rearward movement of the gun provided by different shooters.

Whether the gun is gas operated, recoil operated, or inertia operated, the rearward force exerted by the firing of the shell has to be resisted by something in order for the action to cycle. Depending on the gun, this "something" might be the weight of the gun, the relative strength of the internal springs, the resistance to movement of the internal parts, or the resistance to rearward movement provided by the shooter. This can and does vary from gun to gun and shooter to shooter.

In the OP's case, apparently the cause of the failure to cycle was due to internal resistance of moving parts, i.e. the bolt needed lubrication in order to fully lock up so that the trigger would reset and could be pulled. About all we (or at least *I*) can conclude with any certainty is that there is no gun that is 100% foolproof and is going to operate 100% of the time regardless what conditions we change. Spring strength, relative weight of parts, lubrication, friction, and external resistance can all play a part in whether the gun operates as designed.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Virginian wrote:
Wowzer wrote:

And what if someone took a different 1100 (or some other semi-auto) and did the same test and the gun did NOT cycle properly? While I haven't done the "suspended by strings" test, I have seen on several occasions when a gun wouldn't cycle properly when shot by one shooter (usually an inexperienced shooter), but the same gun with the same ammo would cycle properly with a different (more experienced) shooter. I can only conclude that it is due to the resistance (or lack thereof) to rearward movement of the gun provided by different shooters.

Whether the gun is gas operated, recoil operated, or inertia operated, the rearward force exerted by the firing of the shell has to be resisted by something in order for the action to cycle. Depending on the gun, this "something" might be the weight of the gun, the relative strength of the internal springs, the resistance to movement of the internal parts, or the resistance to rearward movement provided by the shooter. This can and does vary from gun to gun and shooter to shooter.

In the OP's case, apparently the cause of the failure to cycle was due to internal resistance of moving parts, i.e. the bolt needed lubrication in order to fully lock up so that the trigger would reset and could be pulled. About all we (or at least *I*) can conclude with any certainty is that there is no gun that is 100% foolproof and is going to operate 100% of the time regardless what conditions we change. Spring strength, relative weight of parts, lubrication, friction, and external resistance can all play a part in whether the gun operates as designed.

I’m not sure if we are using the phrase recoil operated in the same way. Of course the conservation of momentum requires that a bolt pushed rearward will meet resistance from the springs of the gun.

However, if a gas gun like the V3 fires, it is the expanding gas which provides the power to release the locking mechanism via the twin steel rods onto the bolt; the bolt cycles after the lockup mechanism releases. The gun could be accelerating forward or backward and it should have no effect on the bolt cycling.

The general concept of a recoil operated gun is such that the gunstock must be kept firmly in place, in order for the bolt to be released from the locking mechanism, thereby allowing it to cycle.

Again, my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:13 am 
Field Grade

I came across this thread today. I had the same issue with my V3 this Duck season. 2-3 times during the season, I'd fire the first shot and the trigger would not reset. I'd cycle the action manually, ejecting the second-chambered shell and then feeding the third shell and was able to get the shot off (actually got the two birds). This happened in fair weather (40º-50º) not using gloves.

Because of using immediate action when hunting, i didn't stop to examine if the hammer had cocked or if it hadn't cocked. Next time this happens, I''l take a look.

I've used the gun for three seasons. Has been very reliable with only a couple of hiccups early on with 3" steel shells.

I did clean the gun after the 2nd- 3rd time this happened. Finished out the season with no other trigger re-set issues. Seemed to me to be a trigger re-set issue. When I pulled the trigger, the hammer didn't drop, there was no click. When I pulled the trigger, nothing happened, no click, no hammer drop, trigger just went slack.

Just thought i'd post this up in case there are any others experiencing this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

riceducker wrote:
I came across this thread today. I had the same issue with my V3 this Duck season. 2-3 times during the season, I'd fire the first shot and the trigger would not reset. I'd cycle the action manually, ejecting the second-chambered shell and then feeding the third shell and was able to get the shot off (actually got the two birds). This happened in fair weather (40º-50º) not using gloves.

Because of using immediate action when hunting, i didn't stop to examine if the hammer had cocked or if it hadn't cocked. Next time this happens, I''l take a look.

I've used the gun for three seasons. Has been very reliable with only a couple of hiccups early on with 3" steel shells.

I did clean the gun after the 2nd- 3rd time this happened. Finished out the season with no other trigger re-set issues. Seemed to me to be a trigger re-set issue. When I pulled the trigger, the hammer didn't drop, there was no click. When I pulled the trigger, nothing happened, no click, no hammer drop, trigger just went slack.

Riceducker, did you by chance talk to Remington about this? They might just ask you to send them the trigger assembly, particularly if they’ve not had an opportunity to “ study” this as a potential issue for others. I’d be willing to bet they’d probably be willing to replace with a new assembly in return.

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

Haven't talked to Remington about it. This is a first year (2016) production gun. I ordered one as soon as they hit the market. I did contact them the first year when the cammo coating was peeling on the butt stock. Made a repair tag on it, but I haven't sent it in yet.

I hunt Waterfowl pretty hard. Gun get a bit more use than the average Duck hunter does. The cosmetic peeling of the finish doesn't really bug me, at some point, I'll send the stock in for a replacement.

I didn't experience the blow back in the face that some have reported. I did break off the plastic front bead after the second season. Replaced it with a metal / plastic Bradley bead.

Actually, this was the fourth Dove / Duck / Goose season for the V3. Overall, it's been a pretty reliable gun. Only the few hiccups have been with 3" steel duck loads. Probably 600+ 3" loads. It's run 100% with target loads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

riceducker: Did you notice if it was a particular brand of 3 inch steel or across the board whatever you used? I have found nearly all semi autos (with exception of original Auto 5) have some ammo they don't like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

riceducker wrote:

Did you try dismantling the bolt taking apart completely cleaning it and putting a few drops of oil on the moving parts?

2018 Chiappa little badger
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2016 Remington V3 MOSGB
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

Last edited by kuffs06 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
riceducker: Did you notice if it was a particular brand of 3 inch steel or across the board whatever you used? I have found nearly all semi autos (with exception of original Auto 5) have some ammo they don't like.

No, I've used about 4 different brands. Federal, Hevi Steel, Fiocchi and Fasteel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I had the same problem a year ago and sent it in for repair. It was only happening with 3 inch shells. This duck season the same thing happened again. I sent the gun back again and they said they were just going to send me a new shotgun. The new gun arrived last week. I have not shot it yet but hope the problem is solved. There was definitely a problem with the hammer resetting when shooting 3 inch shells.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

EvenKeel wrote:
I had the same problem a year ago and sent it in for repair. It was only happening with 3 inch shells. This duck season the same thing happened again. I sent the gun back again and they said they were just going to send me a new shotgun. The new gun arrived last week. I have not shot it yet but hope the problem is solved. There was definitely a problem with the hammer resetting when shooting 3 inch shells.

That is what I call exceptional customer service. Good luck with your new gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

EvenKeel wrote:

Hopefully Remington uses guns that they replace because of issues as “laboratories “ to study the problems.

Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)