ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sportsman 48 jams going back in to battery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently acquired a 12g Sportsman 48 and actually love the gun. But twice now in 200 or so rounds it has jammed returning to battery.

The first time I was actually testing to see how it did with light loads (not very well). It seemed like obviously not enough energy. The bolt froze up in the receiver, and I had to remove the barrel and trigger to get it loose.

Then I went and shot 4 rounds of skeet no problem. The 5th, on the last shot, I dropped a shell in the port, pressed the release button and the bolt came forward about an inch and froze tight. Wouldn't move forward or back.

My next move is to strip it again and this time disassemble the action spring in the stock. Maybe something is gummed up in there - I didn't break that open when I cleaned it after buying.

Anything else folks would recommend I check?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sportsman 48 jams going back in to battery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

FWIW - it would seem one of the legs of the wishbone managed to jam itself beside the cup for the recoil spring.

I have not quite worked out where enough slack came from to let the leg out of the cup. My best guess is 1) the cup was partially full of goop, and 2) the cup maybe wasn't moving quite as quickly as it should because of 60 yrs of gunk in the tube. So i cleaned that up and we'll see if things go better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't have one but I have seen a few that were very affordable , never know when one will adopt Me. It is interesting to see how this works out. :) .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm partial to recoil and inertia shotguns over gas operated to begin with, but I've been really impressed by the 48. Very few moving parts, very little to clean.

Mostly I wonder what might have worn to create enough play to let one of those legs out of the action spring cup. Nothing particularly obvious.