Shotgun Forum banner

Received my V3 today.. Sure feels good.

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  oyeme 
#1 ·
I bought a 26 inch V3 wood 12 gauge and it arrived today.

There is a $75.00 rebate good until 4/30/20. I did run into a hitch with the rebate form. The form calls for the original tag (Proof of Purchase) glued to the back of the manual (no problem there) AND the original Register Receipt from the purchase. Since I bought the gun from Grab a Gun online, there is NO ORIGINAL RECEIPT.

I called Remington and the guy who answered said "a printout of your purchase from GrabaGun should be enough." However, he allowed that he had NOTHING to do with the Rebate company. AND, the Rebate company is closed due to the virus. I have a phone number and will call them weekly until I get through.

If I just mail the material that I have, I'd have no way of knowing if what I sent was OK...and no way to recover my one and only Evidence of Purchase tag from the instruction book. It seems that they put difficult rules on needlessly. The Rebate Company knows that a high percentage of new guns are purchased on-line with no physical register reciept.

Other than that, I am happy with my new addition. Feels great and I am excited to plan on giving her a maiden voyage/shoot.

That gives me TWO new Remingtons that haven't been shot yet. The 870 TRAP model and now the V3. At least I think I have all of my potential clay sports covered, if I ever get to go shoot them.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same concern but printed out a copy of the receipt from GrabAGun and sent it along with the proof of purchase. I received my rebate check in about 5-6 weeks. I was able to check its progress online to assure myself it would go through. Make a copy of everything and send it in-you will get paid eventually.

Congratulations! That is the model I own and I predict you too will like it-a lot!

#8 ·
Congrats on the new V3. I think you'll find it to be a solid gun that eats everything you feed it, has terrifically low recoil and shoots where you point it.

#10 ·
Since it's brand new, suggest an initial " clleaning "with a good CLP , leaving it a little wet, particularly in the bolt and rail areas where things move. Always done that with my new guns and never had an issue.

#11 ·
Good advice from Tide. Hope you get to shoot it soon and when you do, I would be interested in your impressions. I suspect they will mirror mine and others who really like the V3. Good luck!

#12 ·
Tidefanatic said:
Since it's brand new, suggest an initial " clleaning "with a good CLP , leaving it a little wet, particularly in the bolt and rail areas where things move. Always done that with my new guns and never had an issue.
If you use a lot of oil, wont the break-in take longer? If the metallic surfaces have oil on it, I read that the metal burrs wont rub off. I dont know how true this is, but makes some sense...

#14 ·
Wowzer said:
Tidefanatic said:
If you use a lot of oil, wont the break-in take longer? If the metallic surfaces have oil on it, I read that the metal burrs wont rub off. I dont know how true this is, but makes some sense...
I said , " A LITTLE wet".

#15 ·
The only break-in my V3 needed was to remove it from the box that it came in, and install the barrel! No failure to do anything since that day.

I can't say that about 3 other semi autos from another maker which were also, significantly more expensive.

#16 ·
"Snap caps are nothing but trouble"

Hmmm I am VERY new at all of this.

I just bought some Snap Caps to help me learn to quickly and safely load my 870 and my V3. I also read that it was a good idea to "shoot" the gun with the Snap Caps prior to putting the gun up for a while. Supposedly, that use takes the pressure off of the firing springs when the gun is laid up.

Please help me understand your comment on Snap Caps. Thank You.

#19 ·
S.davis said:
Mine came with a lot of oil, I think CLP, on it's internals. I took it out shooting with no cleaning or break in, because I felt lazy, and the gun was cheap and work-a-day, and because I had waited a long, long time to buy one and just went straight from the FFL to the range. There was so much oil it splattered and splashed out.
Did it act up in any way as a result?

#20 ·
S.davis said:
Nope. I shot 100 rounds that day. Took it home and cleaned it. Shot a couple hundred with it since without a hint of trouble, except the chokes loosen.
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but put a little grease on the tube threads and see if that doesn`t help. It did for mine.

#22 ·
richg99 said:
I wonder if a short wrap of teflon tape would help to properly tighten the choke(s).

It's real purpose is NOT to fill any gaps.

It is to lubricate the fitting threads and allow them to turn even tighter without stressing the metal.
I have done that and suggested it here a while back on another thread; I was run out of town on rail for introducing a very dangerous practice! It does work but usually not required unless CTs fit really loose as they do in my Tristar G2.

#24 ·
It doesn't take a "shooting plumber". Bruce Buck the gun editor of Shooting Sportsman magazine has even endorsed that use. However, it is normally not needed and the grease as suggested does the trick.

#25 ·
Every choke tube gun I have owned has had the CTs loosen some during shooting. Even Briley thin walls although they did not loosen a great deal. My V3s Cts do not loosen easily or a great deal.
I check them each time I come back from shooting but it has not been a problem with some grease or anti seize on the threads.

I have never understood the dynamic of how shot going through the CTs causes the loosening of CTs. It is a bit weird to me. :?:

Like s.davis, I too like fixed chokes, but my V3 is used for all clay target games so changing CTs makes sense. Loosening is not a big deal on my V3, but the ones on my Tristar G2 loosen so easily that I use a bit of teflon tape on those threads. That includes an after market Trulock CT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.