ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STEEL IN 58 REMINGTON
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a model 58 choked skeet -- is it safe to shoot steel ?

Post subject: Re: STEEL IN 58 REMINGTON
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

I would but somebody will be here to tell you not to. Steel loads are much better than they used to be.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

I hunted in AR about 3 years back with a buddy using a model 58. His even had a PolyChoke on it! He had no problems with Kent steel loads. He kept the PolyChoke set on modified and of course on that model 58's "Heavy" Load setting. Based on that, I say it should be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I wouldn’t shoot more than 10,000 rounds through it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

thanks all

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Putting high velocity loads through a relic that was never designed for them will be iffy at best.

You will definitely shorten the lifespan of the gun compared to using shells it was designed for, and parts for the 58 are expensive and difficult to find (basically breaking one major component on a 58 puts most of the way to totaling the gun).

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Probably. You know it was not designed to shoot steel shot.
Is it wise?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:15 pm 
Limited Edition

If by "safe" you mean are you going to get hurt, probably not.

If you mean will the gun be hurt - maybe, eventually. But it's also a 60 yr old gun - any number of things might be wearing down.

I probably wouldn't shoot 100 rounds every weekend, but if you wanted to take it out and put a box through it a couple weekends in duck season, I don't think you're anymore likely to encounter trouble than if you were shooting lead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

Sure shoot it all you want it will be fine.I have one we have been shooting for years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

WOOD DUCK wrote:

No.

"Owners of Remington 12-guage Model 870, 1100, 11-87, 3200, and Sportsman 58 and Sportsman 12-A and 12-P shotguns manufactured between 1960 and June 1995 (the \"Shotguns\") who have not previously excluded themselves from the settlement are entitled to receive a payment (\"Settlement Check\"), as part of the resolution of the class action lawsuit in Garza v. Sporting Goods Properties, Inc., Civ. No SA-93-CA-1082(W.D.Tex.). "

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Which has nothing to do with anything other than lawyers making money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Virginian wrote:
Which has nothing to do with anything other than lawyers making money.

That may be your take, but resulfurized steel is not suitable for steel and current 4140 Chrome-Moly is substantially better. Lead only.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Damn I wish someone would've told me that back in 1979 when I was shooting some test loads
of steel shot , ever since 1990 I've run a steady diet of steel shot through my Wingmasters after
waterfowl and it hasn't caused a problem yet . I do have barrels that I opened the choke some
as some are 26" all the way to 30" with constrictions of .008 thu .027 , others are factory full
at .038 !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:42 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
Damn I wish someone would've told me that back in 1979

No, you don't. It wouldn't have mattered.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Yup nothing to worry about at all...just remember as steel gets older it may get stressed over time with repeated shooting. may be fine but why risk it? On another forum one member years ago was shooting His '86 Winchester just as he had done hundreds of times with His reloads , He was shooting off of the bench when the barrel let go blowing the for end to splinters many big ones ended up in His left arm . His right hand on the trigger was out of the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Key word - "reloads".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
WOOD DUCK wrote:

No.

"Owners of Remington 12-guage Model 870, 1100, 11-87, 3200, and Sportsman 58 and Sportsman 12-A and 12-P shotguns manufactured between 1960 and June 1995 (the \"Shotguns\") who have not previously excluded themselves from the settlement are entitled to receive a payment (\"Settlement Check\"), as part of the resolution of the class action lawsuit in Garza v. Sporting Goods Properties, Inc., Civ. No SA-93-CA-1082(W.D.Tex.). "

RandyWakeman wrote:

No, the Garza suit had nothing to do with steel shot.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=345137

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The Garza suit was settled: it did not go to trial.

Quote:
Description of Lawsuit: The Lawsuit, brought against Remington and DuPont, the former parent company of Remington (the "Defendants"), claimed that the value of the Shotguns had been reduced because the barrels were not strong enough and sometimes burst in normal use, causing damage to the gun and, in some cases, serious personal injury. Remington and DuPont denied such claims and asserted (1) that barrel bursts are extremely rare and occur only when improper ammunition, including ammunition generating much greater than normal firing pressure, is used, or when the barrels are obstructed, and (2) that the Remington owners' manual and the accompanying firearms safety booklet gives full and adequate warning of such hazards. The Court has expressed no opinion on the merits of the claims or defenses asserted in the Lawsuit.

Terms of The Proposed Settlement: The Settlement has three primary components: (1) Remington has begun to make, and will continue to make, barrels for Model 870, 1100, and 11-87 12-gauge shotguns (the other models are no longer made) from a different type of steel which can withstand higher pressure. (2) A fund of $31.5 million,less attorneys' fees and expenses approved by the Court, and less $1.375 million in notice and administrative costs, will be distributed among eligible Settlement Class members, (3) Remington will provide a shotgun safety bulletin with each settlement payment, which the Settlement Class member will agree to read and follow as a condition of cashing the settlement payment check. In return, Settlement Class members who do not exclude themselves from the Class will release and dismiss with prejudice all claims asserted in the Lawsuit relating to the use of 1140M Steel in the barrels of the Shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
The Garza suit was settled: it did not go to trial.

Quote:
Description of Lawsuit: The Lawsuit, brought against Remington and DuPont, the former parent company of Remington (the "Defendants"), claimed that the value of the Shotguns had been reduced because the barrels were not strong enough and sometimes burst in normal use, causing damage to the gun and, in some cases, serious personal injury. Remington and DuPont denied such claims and asserted (1) that barrel bursts are extremely rare and occur only when improper ammunition, including ammunition generating much greater than normal firing pressure, is used, or when the barrels are obstructed, and (2) that the Remington owners' manual and the accompanying firearms safety booklet gives full and adequate warning of such hazards. The Court has expressed no opinion on the merits of the claims or defenses asserted in the Lawsuit.

Terms of The Proposed Settlement: The Settlement has three primary components: (1) Remington has begun to make, and will continue to make, barrels for Model 870, 1100, and 11-87 12-gauge shotguns (the other models are no longer made) from a different type of steel which can withstand higher pressure. (2) A fund of $31.5 million,less attorneys' fees and expenses approved by the Court, and less $1.375 million in notice and administrative costs, will be distributed among eligible Settlement Class members, (3) Remington will provide a shotgun safety bulletin with each settlement payment, which the Settlement Class member will agree to read and follow as a condition of cashing the settlement payment check. In return, Settlement Class members who do not exclude themselves from the Class will release and dismiss with prejudice all claims asserted in the Lawsuit relating to the use of 1140M Steel in the barrels of the Shotguns.

But what does ANY of that have to do with the OPs question of using steel shot in his 58?

[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:32 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Skeet_Man wrote:

But what does ANY of that have to do with the OPs question of using steel shot in his 58?

Everything.
1140M was not designed or tested with steel, nor was the Model 58, nor are the forcing cones, and weak steel / stubby cones are a poor combination for steel loads. What would anyone expect from a shotgun made from 1956–1963? A 55 year +shotgun wasn't intended for steel loads, much less tested with them . . . and, why would it have been?