ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading V3 bolt release parts list to "Pro" oversized
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

In case anyone wants to upgrade their Rem V3 synthetic with the larger bolt release button found on the Pro versions, here is a list of the part numbers.

Because of the WuFlu, a couple of the parts, namely the feed latch assembly (an important part), and bolt release screw are on back order, no specific timeline to get them.

(I did a similar upgrade on my Versa Max Synthetic, it was easy enough if you have good roll pin punches and starter roll pin punches.)

Apparently there is a different feed latch spring for the V3 Pro extended release (or so I was told) than what comes with the factory V3 synthetic feed latch.

They also want to sell you another pivot pin in the V3 package. (I reused the original pivot when I upgraded my Versa Max feed latch, and no issues reusing original after shooting a flat of shells so far.)

They would not sell me the large safety button that is found on the V3 waterfowl/turkey pro versions. Said I would have to send it in, and I have read in an old SW post that the part of the safety that fits thru the trigger guard maybe different size??? Is that true?? I sort of find that hard to believe, why would they stock 2 different trigger guards if they are trying wring out all manufacturing cost inefficiencies?

I get it, the company doesn't want more lawsuits, but it is a super simple swap for safety button, compared to swapping the bolt release/feed latch from standard to pro.

The thing is you can buy the original V3 size safety button from Midwest Gun Works. And I'm sure left handed people swap their original V3 safety buttons from right handed all the time at home. Anyway, I may have to find local gun smith that is willing to order the oversized button for me. Or find someone that didn't like the oversized button on their V3 pro version and is willing to sell it to me. (Believe it or not I found a couple old forum posts from SW and another website that people didn't like their oversized button, but the thread is well over a year old at this point. And I've yet to find third party manufacturer that sells V3 safety buttons, plenty of them for the 870, but those won't work.)

Post subject: Re: Upgrading V3 bolt release parts list to "Pro" oversized
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Took me longer to gather up tools than to actually do the swap. I stripped the gun to just the receiver (barrel off, action springs out, and trigger group out). Put the receiver into my vise with bottom facing upward. I used Milwaukee torque lock vise grips (jaws taped up) as my "third hand" to gently hold and take some pressure off the old feed latch assembly, and to keep the spring from flying away.

I then used a 5/64" roll pin punch to push out the feed latch pivot retaining roll pin, then used a 3/32" pin punch to gently tap out the latch pivot pin from ejection port thru the bottom (the large end of pivot pin faces the bottom of the receiver for reassembly).

On reassembly, I found it easier to take off the magazine spring retainer, relieving tension on mag spring and pushing the shell follower a bit into the magazine tube to get the new feed latch assembly with spring into place and line up the hole for dropping the feed latch pivot pin back in. I used the Milwaukee torque vise grips to hold it all in place while driving the retaining pin back in with roll pin starter punch and finished it out w/ 5/64" roll pin punch to full seat it into receiver.