ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Sportsman 12
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Friend inherited a Remington sportsman 12 full choke 30 in barrel . Didn't know remington made these, Could someone give me the history on these, Bluing looks like a Wingmaster but wood looks like plain express.

Post subject: Re: Remington Sportsman 12
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since you mentioned a Wingmaster I assume you are talking pump gun. They made Sportsman pumps and semi autos - based on the Wingmaster and the 1100. They were Remington's first attempt as making less expensive guns. They debuted in 1985, with no receiver rollmarking, gloss bluing, and satin finished hardwood stocks, all 2-3/4" models. Shortly they went to satin bluing as well, but the metalwork quality was still very good. They are solid bargains. In 1987 the Express arrived, and around there satin finished black synthetic 1100s arrived. The 11-87 was going to be THE main semi auto. We saw where that went. I can understand to perceived economy of manufacturing only one top of the line semi auto, but the way Remington went about it they forever ensured the 11-87 - not the 1100 - would be forever second fiddle.

Post subject: Re: Remington Sportsman 12
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

All of the above, except the Sportsman 12 Pumps were offered in 3”.