ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Versamax opinions
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 am 
Field Grade

Short and sweet, has everyone had good luck with the Versamax? Looking to get my first semi-auto 12 gauge this summer before duck season and it's the one I'm most interested in.

(I know there's a thread on them but I don't have time to go through 120 pages.. Just want to know if everyone has had good luck with them)

I'm more intersted in the Sportsman model

Post subject: Re: Remington Versamax opinions
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

Have you also looked at the V3 Waterfowl Pro? It is the one that seems to check all the boxes for me due to its features and reliability of that platform which is different than the 3 1/2 inch chambered VersaMax.

http://randywakeman.com/Review2019Remin ... owlPro.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am 
Crown Grade

Oyeme beat me to the punch. In no way knocking the VersaMax, but particularly if don`t need 3.5" shells ( while perhaps preferred, I`ve always wondered if they`re REALLY truly needed ), you really should look at the V3 Waterfowl Pro since you`re looking at Remington guns anyway. I know I would if I was getting into waterfowl, based on my experience with my V3.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 pm 
Field Grade

I did go look at the V3 today. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the V3 seemed clanky and cheap to me.

Also to top that off, bass pro shop has the camo Versamax Sportsman on sale for $699 right now. The problem is the closest one to me is 3hrs away.

Being 20 years old trying to buy my first semi auto, I really wanna be able to shoot one before I lay that kind of money down. Cause at this age, $700 is a lot of money!!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm 
Limited Edition

dk2429 wrote:
I did go look at the V3 today. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the V3 seemed clanky and cheap to me.

Also to top that off, bass pro shop has the camo Versamax Sportsman on sale for $699 right now. The problem is the closest one to me is 3hrs away.

Being 20 years old trying to buy my first semi auto, I really wanna be able to shoot one before I lay that kind of money down. Cause at this age, $700 is a lot of money!!

If the Versamax feels right and points well...for you that's all that really matters.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

mea culpa wrote:
dk2429 wrote:

If the Versamax feels right and points well...for you that's all that really matters.

That is absolutely true. It`s your money, buy what you want.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
mea culpa wrote:
dk2429 wrote:

That is absolutely true. It`s your money, buy what you want.

Amen to that! Literally the only point to my post was to hear if they are a good solid gun that will last.. If they are a bunch of trouble then I'd opt for something else

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 am 
Diamond Grade

The price you quoted on versamax sounds very hard to beat. I think one would work well for you. The only thing I did not like about mine was the trigger design. It was a little heavy, 6 pounds, and my other
guns were all lighter. The design of the trigger is not such that it lends itself well to being lightened, due to the geometry of it. It should work well for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 am 
Crown Grade

dk2429 wrote:

I have to admit that is a heck of good price!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
dk2429 wrote:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remingt ... Blind-Camo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

dk2429 wrote:
oyeme wrote:
dk2429 wrote:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Remingt ... Blind-Camo

Is that $350 discount on the VM an indication of that model not selling as well or is it simply a "deal" that bass pro got and is capitalizing on now? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:

Is that $350 discount on the VM an indication of that model not selling as well or is it simply a "deal" that bass pro got and is capitalizing on now? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

The "Versa Max II" is coming.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:53 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:

The "Versa Max II" is coming.

Link? Didn't see anything on google for a new Versa Max

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There is no link. It has not yet been formally announced.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any idea as to the difference between the Versa Max and Versa Max ll?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Any idea as to the difference between the Versa Max and Versa Max ll?

Doubtful since nothing has been announced.

Post subject: Remington Versamax opinions
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really like my Versa Max. The only problem I’ve had is that it has shucked a couple of bolt handles. Remington replaced them for free with the tactical handle which I like better and stays put.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:46 am 
Utility Grade

I have a left handed Versa Max, I love it. Has been 100% reliable with everything from light 7/8 oz loads up to 3.5", 1.5 oz BB's at 1550 fps. I shoot trap with it every week, hunt waterfowl with it and got a turkey with it a couple weeks ago. Very soft recoil, it's nice and easy on the shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 pm 
Limited Edition

^^^ Ditto on the LH Versamax as mine has been a great shooter. The only caveat being RTFM (read the fundamental (owners) manual) as it functions differently from many other S/A’s.