ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V3 vs 1100 sporting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Yes, but with THAT load: 1-7/8 oz. lead / 1210 fps. Change the load and things change. The A400 is a real kicker, but that is actually with their wondrous (???) MicroCore pad not the springy stock thing Kick-off system.

O.K., but unless I am misunderstanding you, the legend indicates that both tested Berettas had the KO system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:52 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It says nothing about the "SYSTEM."

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 am 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:
Don't mean to get the OP's thread off on a tangent, but did anyone else notice from the charts on measured recoil provided by Randy; that both the Beretta A400 w/Kick Off and the Beretta Extrema II w/Kick Off had a higher and quicker recoil pulse than an 870 pump? Heck, even both inertia operated Benelli guns had a lower recoil signature. What a surprise! :shock:

In my personal observations of recently (doing pattern work) firing a SBE (w/Limbsaver pad), A400 (w/KO system) & Versamax with the Federal HW-15 load of 1 7/8 ounce in #6’s appear to follow the chart except the A400 was almost identical (felt recoil) to my Versamax with the noticeable difference the VM kicked me just a tad longer in duration. I don’t know if that’s a function of a possible longer cycling time, or not. Also, the week before I’d fired the SBE with it’s original recoil pad...no bueno! The Limbsaver pad is the real deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:27 am 
Limited Edition

My Sporting 20 arrived yesterday and must say I'm very impressed. Been a while since I bought a Remington and with so much talk about bad quality I was a bit nervous as the gun came from the other side of the country. Won't be able to shoot until weekend but just looking the gun over I'm very happy with, fit and finish seem great, and Rem can still put some decent wood on their guns. My only complaint is still the big ugly recoil pad, doesn't line up with the lines of the stock at all and it just looks like they took whatever they had in parts bin and stuck it on. Other than that, beautiful gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree. I have always disliked any pad on a shotgun thicker than 1 inch.
You can get a better fitting and looking pad from Limbsaver. Consult their templates and with some careful measurements, should be able to find one that fits perfectly.

I forgot to add that is a beautiful stock!

Last edited by oyeme on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Oh dear! 1,500 shells of non-descriptive make should certainly be considered a dis-qualifier! "

It is extremely well-documented that dozens of V3's were run past 2000 rounds without any cleaning long before the first V3 was ever sold. By people with real names, not fake screen names. It is many years too late to re-imagine what is already well-known. It should be of zero surprise to anyone, for the Versa Max of over 10 years ago will go a couple of thousands of rounds without cleaning as well.

Yet, everyone knows (or should know) that cleaning your gun after every use is best practice. If you aren't inclined to ignore and abuse your shotgun, it is completely a non-issue.

V3's and Versa Max models are heavily used as rental guns and lodge guns. To cite one example, Stan Jones Mallard Lodge went exclusively with Versa Max and V3 models years ago and it was the best move they ever made . . . according to Stan Jones.

Sure-Shot game calls has beat the heck of V3's on several consecutive hunts . . . just ask them. They are low-maintenance gas guns and have been for years.

I’ve run my V3 over 1500 rounds without cleaning. It cycled fast and consistent. All rounds were w bird shot target loads.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

This discussion could well be moot as the V3 may be short-lived after September. Thankfully, there are millions of 1100's already in circulation so that supply will continue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

mea culpa wrote:
This discussion could well be moot as the V3 may be short-lived after September. Thankfully, there are millions of 1100's already in circulation so that supply will continue.

What happens in September?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
mea culpa wrote:

Probably something to do with Remington declaring bankruptcy for the second time in three years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:42 pm 
Crown Grade

mpolans wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
mea culpa wrote:

Probably something to do with Remington declaring bankruptcy for the second time in three years.

Maybe, but I’ve yet to see anything that would lead one to believe that Remington would either cease operations completely or end production of one of, if not the , best selling models that’s currently in production at any time, much less specifically September (?). Of course, there are those in the Beretta and Benelli crowds on SW that for whatever warped reason known only to them that would like to see Remington go out of business entirely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic,

The news article Mr. Wakeman posted said if a buyer isn’t secured by September, the company goes on the auction block.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 pm 
Crown Grade

mea culpa wrote:
Tidefanatic,

The news article Mr. Wakeman posted said if a buyer isn’t secured by September, the company goes on the auction block.

Oh, OK, thanks. I don`t recall that but then again some of Randy`s postings get somewhat lengthy and my memory's not what it used to be. That will be an interesting eventuality if it comes to pass. I suppose whomever might be successful in such an auction would intend for Remington to remain a firearms manufacturer (?).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 am 
Presentation Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
My Sporting 20 arrived yesterday and must say I'm very impressed. Been a while since I bought a Remington and with so much talk about bad quality I was a bit nervous as the gun came from the other side of the country. Won't be able to shoot until weekend but just looking the gun over I'm very happy with, fit and finish seem great, and Rem can still put some decent wood on their guns. My only complaint is still the big ugly recoil pad, doesn't line up with the lines of the stock at all and it just looks like they took whatever they had in parts bin and stuck it on. Other than that, beautiful gun.

Your Sporting certainly has beautiful wood. The wood on my 1100 Sporting 12 has decent figure, but isn’t as nice. Yours reminds me of the old C grade wood Remington mounted on the TC and SC series guns in the late 50s-early 60s. The wood stocked V3s I’ve seen have had fairly plain wood. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

spad124 wrote:
buckmark525 wrote:

Your Sporting certainly has beautiful wood. The wood on my 1100 Sporting 12 has decent figure, but isn’t as nice. Yours reminds me of the old C grade wood Remington mounted on the TC and SC series guns in the late 50s-early 60s. The wood stocked V3s I’ve seen have had fairly plain wood. Congrats!

I would certainly concur if the wood on my walnut V3 is any example. Having said that, I would hazard a guess that buckmark paid a fair bit more for his Sporting than I did for my walnut V3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

My answer is simple:

Hunting - V3.

Sporting - Sporting.