ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: V3 vs 1100 sporting
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm 
Limited Edition

If that's a new V3 Premier prototype, its not bad looking. The lines of that gun just seem so all-over-the-place, not smooth and clean like the 1100. And those thick blocks of rubber used for recoil pads, while they may work, are just so ugly. But I do like the fact they're willing to put out a nice version of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:32 pm 
Crown Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
If that's a new V3 Premier prototype, its not bad looking. The lines of that gun just seem so all-over-the-place, not smooth and clean like the 1100. And those thick blocks of rubber used for recoil pads, while they may work, are just so ugly. But I do like the fact they're willing to put out a nice version of it.

Can't argue with that observation of the Super Cell pads. They are 1 1/8 inches thick and IMO no pad that thick is very attractive on a gun. On the plus side; they sure do help minimize recoil!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The V3 is worth a look vs. everything. Worth a look isn't a high bar-- it is worthy of anyone's consideration.

1) Cleaner action
2) Not a picky eater-- >2500 rounds between cleanings
3) Better trigger
4) fast 7/8 oz. loads to 2 oz. loads out of the box
5) No O rings or gaskets
6) factory available shims for drop and cast
7) lowest recoil of any shotgun in its weight bracket
8) Written lifetime warranty
9) Underpriced compared to many other brands / models
10) Made in the USA from American steel by American workers.

That's called well worth a look.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yessir.

OP, buy the 1100 Sporting now and then get the V3 Premier when it is available. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Digging up an old thread...Is the American Classic posted on the previous page discontinued? Remington still lists it on their website, but no dealers have had them for quite a while.

692 Black
1100 LT20 Special
1100 LT20
11-87 Premier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

JRinTX wrote:
Digging up an old thread...Is the American Classic posted on the previous page discontinued? Remington still lists it on their website, but no dealers have had them for quite a while.

Pretty small market for them, you will most likely have to order it. I did and got it within a week or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

JRinTX wrote:
Is the American Classic posted on the previous page discontinued?

No.

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:49 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
The V3 is worth a look vs. everything. Worth a look isn't a high bar-- it is worthy of anyone's consideration.

1) Cleaner action
3) Better trigger
5) No O rings or gaskets

Cleaner action ? Have you taken apart the bolt ? Its like 11 pieces.

2500 rounds between cleaning--The bolt will slow down long before then and cause jams. Seen it multiple time this year in the marsh after about 4 boxes of steel loads.

Lowest recoil--That's because it bleeds off 50-70fps immediately. Also, the Maxus is right there with it for recoil and had perhaps even less muzzle rise.

Yes it is a great value and rem has made a pretty decent gun here, despite the fist runs that blew powder in your face. I think you and I had that chat on that a few times didn't we ? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Remington V3: 2500 Rounds Without Cleaning (reported by ktktwix)

Quote:
About 9 months back I watched Randy Wakeman's review of the V3 on youtube and he stated Remington has a 2500 round cleaning interval on the V3, well just for ghits and shiggles I decided to test that out. After some careful bookkeeping on the number of rounds I put through my V3, last night I hit the 2500 mark without a cleaning. I haven't cleaned a thing, not the action, or gas system or barrel since sometime in september. And I'm not at all surprised to inform you that the gun never missed a beat, I had no malfunctions of any kind. All 2500 rounds were Remington gun club 1 1/8 1200fps loads, when I started the gun was ejecting empty hulls about twelve feet, and last night it was still throwing them about twelve feet. That tells me that the bolt was still cycling at the same velocity after 2500 rounds as it was when it was clean, it wasn't slowing down due to the gun being excessively dirty.

I feel confident that the gun could have went a good bit more than the 2500 rounds however I broke down and cleaned the gun and 2500 rounds because I was starting to pity the gun, and did not want to test it any further. as far as the condition of the gun is concerned, the mag tube was absolutely filthy where the gas valves bleed off onto the mag tube, and the gas tubes the pistons ride in were absolutely filthy. in the picture below with the paper plate full of soot and powder residue, that all came out of the gas tubes while removing the pistons, I had not even began to scrub the tubes out yet. When I did start to scrub the gas tubes out with a .45 cal bore brush probably an equal amount to that came out. Despite all the fouling the pistons were still moving freely in the gas tubes.

As far as the action goes, it stayed relatively clean, not a whole lot of fouling occurred in the action. About the same amount that builds up in my 1100 after a few hundred rounds. The trigger assembly however was an absolute mess, nothing a few shots of gun scrubber didn't fix however.

So can the V3 go 2500 rounds without being cleaned? My answer is "Easily". Should you go 2500 rounds between cleanings? "Nope." Proper cleaning and maintenance are key to making a gun last for many many years, also 2500 rounds of gunk building up is a pain in the rear to clean!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I really want to try a V3 walnut but the checkering pattern on the pistol grip almost makes me throw up in my throat a little bit...

I wish I had bought my Montefeltro or Outlander in walnut so I'd have better reason to buy a V3 in synthetic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

The Drake wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

1) Cleaner action
3) Better trigger
5) No O rings or gaskets

Cleaner action ? Have you taken apart the bolt ? Its like 11 pieces.

2500 rounds between cleaning--The bolt will slow down long before then and cause jams. Seen it multiple time this year in the marsh after about 4 boxes of steel loads.

Lowest recoil--That's because it bleeds off 50-70fps immediately. Also, the Maxus is right there with it for recoil and had perhaps even less muzzle rise.

Yes it is a great value and rem has made a pretty decent gun here, despite the fist runs that blew powder in your face. I think you and I had that chat on that a few times didn't we ? :oops:

I am not interested at all in getting into the line of fire between you and Randy but just wanted to provide input based on my experience with the V3.

I can tell you that 100 rounds of steel shot and their V3 starts balking is FAR different than my experience. The most mine has gone is approximately 800 rounds before I cleaned it. I cleaned it then because it is my nature, not because the gun was balking in any way. My V3 will fling hulls with the best of them, so don't get in the line of fire from the ejection port!

As for the bolt having several parts, that is true but I did it easily after a quick look at a video. IMO it is really simple to do, requires no tools, and does not need to be done to maintain function. I am certainly no mechanical wizard, and I did it just so I could learn about the gun.

As for the lessened recoil, if it is due to the 50-75 fps loss you claim upon firing, then would that not occur to some extent with all gas autos? Yet the V3 has less recoil than any 12 gauge gun of any kind I have ever shot. As I understand it, SAAMI standards for shotshell velocities are plus or minus 50 fps, so I don't see the velocity loss you claim as being anything of note as there can easily be more than that due variations in the shells, and still be within SAAMI specs.

I will now remove myself from this potential fire fight. I just wanted to share my hands on experience with the V3 which is far different than what you have observed with other's guns.

Last edited by oyeme on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
As I understand it, SAAMI standards for shotshell velocities are plus or minus 50 fps

+/- 90 fps, and it isn't muzzle velocity. It is 3 foot instrumental velocity. It is also voluntary standards. It would only be meaningful if you were in the habit of shooting things off of your muzzle.

Neil Winston did all the work: http://www.claytargettesting.com/study2/Study2.2.pdf .

Quote:
In several cases there is a big variation in the speeds within one type of shell. The differences are large enough to explain why the shells which last week didn’t seem to kick hard now do, or why one shooter says that such-and-such handicap shells just dish out too much punishment while another says they are the “softest shooting”on the market. The box each tried might be exactly as he described it...

So what about the reloader who tries to match his shells to some factory offering? He’s chasing a moving target. And if he just follows the book, weighing loads when opening a new keg to keep everything the same? Here’s what happened to me: in switching to a different lot of powder: the charge dropped by my standard bushing increased by 0.3 grain, but the speed of the shells it produced dropped by 25 fps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:34 am 
Crown Grade

I have read portions of Neil Winston's work in the past but I just reread the entire article. His thoroughness is really incredible. The amount of time and effort can only really be appreciated if you have also done some chronograph work! Very scientific and definitive test material on shotgun shell velocities.

He blows up the theory about gas guns automatically registering slower velocities. Not so as evidenced by the Model 1100 in his test. He also blows up the theory of faster velocities from overbore barrels. Like they say, one test is worth a thousand opinions. In his case, hundreds of tests! Whew! Good stuff!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Drake wrote:
Seen it multiple time this year in the marsh after about 4 boxes of steel loads.

I’ve not had trouble with mine slowing, even shooting dirty Black Clouds on multiple day hunts, or hundreds of target loads between cleanings. I think I clean about every 500 reds, give or take.

And I never had any blowback trouble. Shot 10 or 15 different synthetic V3s, in windy Eastern Kansas. Not that I don’t believe some people did, but it certainly seemed like a small, small minority of users/guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
I really want to try a V3 walnut but the checkering pattern on the pistol grip almost makes me throw up in my throat a little bit...

It’s ugly. No 2 ways. Good grip though, and clean checkering. Vaguely reminds me of the checkering pattern on 11-48s or some of the 50s-era 870 deluxes, but I am not a fan or the look. Then again, I don’t have much positive to say about the Outlander looks either. Montes are pretty unobtrusive, if not particularly good looking, making them unique to the Benelli line of near-universally ugly guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

desmobob wrote:

If you say so. If you put your hand where it belongs, you won't be able to see it. Considering the price, you do get an honest walnut stock set on a V3 - - - not so with an A400 and many others that are far more expensive.

What is a really pretty semi-auto? Is it a Maxus Ultimate ($1979 MSRP) or a Maxus Sporting Golden Clays ($2099)? It isn't completely rational to compare a base model V3 that can be had for $800 (or less) with something twice the price.

Above are the seven shotguns that I use the most. Some things never go out of style.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

If the blowback was a non-issue on the original run of synthetic V3’s, why did Remington subsequently change the gas system?

How many people have run 2500+ rounds w/o cleaning? Appears that so far, we have a anecdotal report sample of one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

mea culpa, if you will provide me the shells, I will run mine that long without cleaning and see what happens. I will provide you pictures and a report every 500 shells fired.

However, I have to say I don't understand why that is of such import but will step up and be your tester. I prefer 1 oz 7 1/2 shot at 1,250 fps. Let me know so I can send you my shipping address. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
As for the lessened recoil, if it is due to the 50-75 fps loss you claim upon firing, then would that not occur to some extent with all gas autos? Yet the V3 has less recoil than any 12 gauge gun of any kind I have ever shot.

There is no evidence of that. Moreover, with 3 inch shells you have only 4 super-dinky ports open.

Does anyone here know the port diameter? If you do, you'll understand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
desmobob wrote:

If you say so.

I do say so... it's my opinion. If they had simply followed the shape of the pistol grip with the checkering, like on every other shotgun or rifle I can think of, it wouldn't look so hideous to me.

Attachment:
pistol grip.jpg

RandyWakeman wrote:
It isn't completely rational to compare a base model V3 that can be had for $800 (or less) with something twice the price.

I didn't make any comparisons. You did.

Even without your cheerleading, I'd think the V3 was a shotgun worth trying. I just can't make myself buy a shotgun that's uglier than a plugged toilet. :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next