ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: V3 vs 1100 sporting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The original poster already says he has an 1100 Competition. The simple question was if the V3 was worth a look-- of course they are, they are excellent guns. Looking costs nothing.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am 
Presentation Grade

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... ture-test/

Looks like I’d only need to furnish 6 flats.

oyeme wrote:
mea culpa, if you will provide me the shells, I will run mine that long without cleaning and see what happens. I will provide you pictures and a report every 500 shells fired.

However, I have to say I don't understand why that is of such import but will step up and be your tester. I prefer 1 oz 7 1/2 shot at 1,250 fps. Let me know so I can send you my shipping address. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

Oh dear! 1,500 shells of non-descriptive make should certainly be considered a dis-qualifier! That is only 1,400 shells more than The Drake said he observed as a failure point, which is what I questioned. The fella that went 2,500 did state he used only one brand, Rem Gun Clubs.

Some quotes from the same article you provided.

"While we didn’t set any records (based on what I know from two previous Argentina trips and from others who’ve been there) the V3s did themselves proud."

Here is what the author said about the recoil from the V3.

"Short sessions hadn’t convinced me, but after our go in the dove fields my partners and I can vouch the V3 truly is mild-mannered. Unlike previous trips, I returned bruise-less and without a swollen cheek."

I am your Huckleberry (favorite line from Tombstone) to do an endurance test if you will only send me the shells.

There are many different guns in many different configurations so buy what you like. I do. :D

Last edited by oyeme on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
Oh dear! 1,500 shells of non-descriptive make should certainly be considered a dis-qualifier! "

It is extremely well-documented that dozens of V3's were run past 2000 rounds without any cleaning long before the first V3 was ever sold. By people with real names, not fake screen names. It is many years too late to re-imagine what is already well-known. It should be of zero surprise to anyone, for the Versa Max of over 10 years ago will go a couple of thousands of rounds without cleaning as well.

Yet, everyone knows (or should know) that cleaning your gun after every use is best practice. If you aren't inclined to ignore and abuse your shotgun, it is completely a non-issue.

V3's and Versa Max models are heavily used as rental guns and lodge guns. To cite one example, Stan Jones Mallard Lodge went exclusively with Versa Max and V3 models years ago and it was the best move they ever made . . . according to Stan Jones.

Sure-Shot game calls has beat the heck of V3's on several consecutive hunts . . . just ask them. They are low-maintenance gas guns and have been for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Yet, everyone knows (or should know) that cleaning your gun after every use is best practice. If you aren't inclined to ignore and abuse your shotgun, it is completely a non-issue.

Exactly. Although in some cases, ease of cleaning can be a consideration for some folks. I'd guess that the guns that claim to be able to shoot longest between cleanings might be the ones that are easier to clean at normal intervals. Just a guess...

I'm curious about another of the V3's well-noted qualities: low recoil. (I've been thinking about it after reading Life of Riley's "Recoil is cumulative" thread.)

I can't easily find the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure the V3 is a bit lighter than the 1100. Does the 1100's additional weight trump the V3's long recoil impulse?

I know this may be subjective and, if recoil is an important consideration for a shooter, aftermarket recoil reduction devices can be fitted. But, while I'm doing some guessing, I'll also guess that most guys don't ever get around to installing expensive aftermarket recoil reduction systems, even though they are concerned with recoil.

I think reduced recoil (or reduced perceived recoil) may be the biggest reason to consider a V3, if it is, or does feel, less than the 1100.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

desmobob: Check for PM just sent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Exactly. Although in some cases, ease of cleaning can be a consideration for some folks. I'd guess that the guns that claim to be able to shoot longest between cleanings might be the ones that are easier to clean at normal intervals. Just a guess...

I'm curious about another of the V3's well-noted qualities: low recoil. (I've been thinking about it after reading Life of Riley's "Recoil is cumulative" thread.)

Measured with Loadstar sensors, the V3 has less recoil than the 1100

https://www.loadstarsensors.com/easyblo ... nshot.html

The heavier Versa Max has even less recoil.

Most gas guns are exceedingly comfortable to shoot with typical loads, meaning not the heaviest lead or tungsten turkey loads. They all hurt with heavy enough loads.

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

Impressive. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:23 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The Loadstar data is with 1-7/8 oz. 1210 fps loads. Part of the recoil force reduction is attributable to the SuperCell pad-- but the 870 and 11-87 guns tested had SuperCell pads as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Most gas guns are exceedingly comfortable to shoot with typical loads, meaning not the heaviest lead or tungsten turkey loads. They all hurt with heavy enough loads.

Amen. With target and normal field loads, the V3 " shoves ", it doesn`t " kick " IMHO.

Desmobob, if you value form over function and the checkering pattern on the walnut V3 is abhorrent enough to prevent a purchase, that`s perfectly okay. To each his own, for sure. Regarding reliability, IMHO though, the whole notion of judging the quality of a shotgun by how many thousands of rounds it can shoot before it dies under the weight of the accumulated filth is beyond absurd. How in hell did we ever arrive at a point where that was important, anyway?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Desmobob, if you value form over function and the checkering pattern on the walnut V3 is abhorrent enough to prevent a purchase, that`s perfectly okay. To each his own, for sure. Regarding reliability, IMHO though, the whole notion of judging the quality of a shotgun by how many thousands of rounds it can shoot before it dies under the weight of the accumulated filth is beyond absurd. How in hell did we ever arrive at a point where that was important, anyway?

To me, an ideal product of any kind is able to combine optimum function with desirable form. Some people place more value to function; some to form. And everyone's idea of ideal form is different. Purely personal.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the "how many rounds before failure due to filth" thing. I was just mentioning that there may be an underlying connection to ease of cleaning...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Oh dear! 1,500 shells of non-descriptive make should certainly be considered a dis-qualifier! "

It is extremely well-documented that dozens of V3's were run past 2000 rounds without any cleaning long before the first V3 was ever sold. By people with real names, not fake screen names. It is many years too late to re-imagine what is already well-known. It should be of zero surprise to anyone, for the Versa Max of over 10 years ago will go a couple of thousands of rounds without cleaning as well.

V3's and Versa Max models are heavily used as rental guns and lodge guns. To cite one example, Stan Jones Mallard Lodge went exclusively with Versa Max and V3 models years ago and it was the best move they ever made . . . according to Stan Jones.

Sure-Shot game calls has beat the heck of V3's on several consecutive hunts . . . just ask them. They are low-maintenance gas guns and have been for years.

You are sure hung up on "fake screen names" which would eliminate 98% of all posters on this site.

"Well documented"...source(s)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:

That's why they call them choices. If you don't like for any reason-- they are other models. Many other models. My fave is the V3 Waterfowl Pro. It is a hunting gun, of course, I think it looks quite good-- for a camo Cerakote plastic stocked model. that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Which models of the 1100 and V3’s were used, and what were the approximate overall weights?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:48 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

That's why they call them choices. If you don't like for any reason-- they are other models. Many other models. My fave is the V3 Waterfowl Pro. It is a hunting gun, of course, I think it looks quite good-- for a camo Cerakote plastic stocked model. that is.

Absolutely. Because one person likes one thing for one reason and someone likes something else for another reason doesn`t mean either choice is necessarily bad if it satisfactorily meets a need or desire. Plenty of choices for everyone! :D

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I just purchased a very attractive 1100 Sporting 20g tonight, via online so its not physically in my hands yet but they did send me some pics of actual gun. I've always been a huge fan of the classic looks of the 1100. Owned an 11-87 Premier 20g a few years back and always regretted selling it so it was time to cave and grab an 1100 Sporting. I dont mind the added heft of these guns as mine will be clays only, and will be a fun little distraction from my usual Browning 725 Sporting 12g.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Wonderful guns! Good choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

desmobob wrote:
To me, an ideal product of any kind is able to combine optimum function with desirable form. Some people place more value to function; some to form. And everyone's idea of ideal form is different. Purely personal.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the "how many rounds before failure due to filth" thing. I was just mentioning that there may be an underlying connection to ease of cleaning...

Believe it or not, the engineers and scientists at Remington are not stupid. They hunt, they shoot, they like guns, and they have family budgets as well. They also know what 1100s, 11-87s, and V3's are. They also know what people actually buy. What they say they are going to buy and what they actually buy are two different things.

Like many organizations, things are decided upon by committee. Not everyone agreed (or agrees) about the aesthetics of Limbsaver pads, SuperCell pads, vs. ground pads. What everyone agreed on was that SuperCell pads work better. Consider this forum and the endless comments and theories about Evil Recoil.

The reality is that the American consumer buys far more plastic-stocked repeaters in shotgun land than anything else. The prettiest shotgun in the world does no one any good if no ones buys it. You can probably guess the ratio of 870 Expresses sold compared to 870 American Classics.

No one wants an overly fragile shotgun-- one that breaks parts all the time. But those who enjoy good-looking shotguns (the better O/Us) have no problem cleaning them after every use, even though you have twice the number of barrels and choke tubes to take care of.

It is human nature: you are more likely to wax your Maserati on a Sunday afternoon than your Yugo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 am 
Crown Grade

Don't mean to get the OP's thread off on a tangent, but did anyone else notice from the charts on measured recoil provided by Randy; that both the Beretta A400 w/Kick Off and the Beretta Extrema II w/Kick Off had a higher and quicker recoil pulse than an 870 pump? Heck, even both inertia operated Benelli guns had a lower recoil signature. What a surprise! :shock:

Last edited by oyeme on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Yes, but with THAT load: 1-7/8 oz. lead / 1210 fps. Change the load and things change. The A400 is a real kicker, but that is actually with their wondrous (???) MicroCore pad not the springy stock thing Kick-off system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next