ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I, FINALLY, shot my V3 and my 870 today.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

When I first took up shotgun shooting just before Christmas, I was concerned about the recoil from a 12 gauge. Hence, I started out with an inexpensive O/U 20 gauge. It helped me fall in love with clay shooting.

As I progressed, I could see that 12 gauge guns would give me more pellets in the sky, and might help my scores some.

I then made my purchase of both a Pump (Remington 870 TRAP with 30 inch barrel and a Monte Carlo stock) and a Semi-Auto Remington V3. (The V3 was based a lot on Randy's YouTube assessment and the testimony of other owners on this and other sites).

Good choices so far!

I found a window of time on Sunday when no one else was using the skeet range at my local shooting emporium.

I only shot one session as I truly just wanted to get to know my gun somewhat. My first few shot's sounds were louder than I expected, in spite of good hearing protection.

The recoil was more than I anticipated, but not a bother,.... just more of a surprise. The YouTube video said the V3 had one of the softest recoils of any SA 12 gauge. I was happy with everything except my score. Only 9 our of 25.

My scores had been moving up in the ten Skeet rounds I previously shot. 17/18 for 50 felt like progress. Obviously, I have to learn my gun and its capabilities to get back to where I was before.

Today, I again found an empty Trap range. I brought the 870 Pump along with 25 ..one.. ounce loads (recommended by some talented guys on a shooting site.)
The recoil was about what I had been led to believe. At my advanced age of 80 years, I could see that a Limbsaver AirTech cushioned pad would be helpful. It is already ordered!

The pump gun worked flawlessly, once I learned to use some force when pulling the fore-end back quickly. Again, just 9 out of 25 were broken, but the bulk of the shots, according to my young puller, were just below the clay. I know what i have to do, and that is shoot, and shoot some more.

I have no way of patterning these guns for a while, but I see that as a necessary item as soon as I can get a place to do it.

All in all, a great way to start back shotgunning!

Thanks, again, for all of the help and encouragement on this site and the others that I have visited.

Post subject: Re: I, FINALLY, shot my V3 and my 870 today.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
When I first took up shotgun shooting just before Christmas, I was concerned about the recoil from a 12 gauge. Hence, I started out with an inexpensive O/U 20 gauge. It helped me fall in love with clay shooting.

As I progressed, I could see that 12 gauge guns would give me more pellets in the sky, and might help my scores some.

I then made my purchase of both a Pump (Remington 870 TRAP with 30 inch barrel and a Monte Carlo stock) and a Semi-Auto Remington V3. (The V3 was based a lot on Randy's YouTube assessment and the testimony of other owners on this and other sites).

Good choices so far!

I found a window of time on Sunday when no one else was using the skeet range at my local shooting emporium.

I only shot one session as I truly just wanted to get to know my gun somewhat. My first few shot's sounds were louder than I expected, in spite of good hearing protection.

The recoil was more than I anticipated, but not a bother,.... just more of a surprise. The YouTube video said the V3 had one of the softest recoils of any SA 12 gauge. I was happy with everything except my score. Only 9 our of 25.

My scores had been moving up in the ten Skeet rounds I previously shot. 17/18 for 50 felt like progress. Obviously, I have to learn my gun and its capabilities to get back to where I was before.

Today, I again found an empty Trap range. I brought the 870 Pump along with 25 ..one.. ounce loads (recommended by some talented guys on a shooting site.)
The recoil was about what I had been led to believe. At my advanced age of 80 years, I could see that a Limbsaver AirTech cushioned pad would be helpful. It is already ordered!

The pump gun worked flawlessly, once I learned to use some force when pulling the fore-end back quickly. Again, just 9 out of 25 were broken, but the bulk of the shots, according to my young puller, were just below the clay. I know what i have to do, and that is shoot, and shoot some more.

I have no way of patterning these guns for a while, but I see that as a necessary item as soon as I can get a place to do it.

All in all, a great way to start back shotgunning!

Thanks, again, for all of the help and encouragement on this site and the others that I have visited.

What loads were you shooting? The especially loud report makes me think you had some loads that were a large part of the extra recoil you experienced. In skeet, I think 1 ounce loads will work just fine for you and will produce less recoil. In fact, 1 ounce of 9s or 8s with the factory Imp Cyl choke should be near perfect for skeet. Try the same ones you used for trap and see how that works.

Congratulations on getting out to shoot again! Stay with it and good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

Loads in the V3...When I was thinking I was going to be able to use my guns (Weeks and weeks ago) I bought two boxes each. One set was 1 1/8Ths #8 and the other 1 ounce #8. I used the 1 1/8ths for the V3, and the 1 ounce for the 870 pump.

Bobski sent me a listing of 7/8th ounce shells but I didn't order any yet. I am certainly going to try those. I am in the middle of a potential Summertime move in the next week or so, so I don't want any shells being sent to either address (TN or TX) right now.

No store locally carries 7/8ths that I know of. Once I get settled in ...I'll buy some 7/8ths and see how they work.

Some of the sound was just a surprise at how loud they were compared to my 20 gauge. Just learning here, you know! Ha Ha

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:08 pm 
Field Grade

OK..Getting a bit better at TRAP. Knocked down 14 out of 25 today. Still a LONG way to go.

Let's see, that makes my lifetime Trap scores 5, 8, 9, 14........ At least the trend is UP! Ha Ha

I did notice the 870's recoil more today than yesterday. I am happy that my Limbsaver recoil pad is on its way.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good to hear you are giving it a go.

My biggest problem when I started out was that I would try and peek over the bead to see the target break. I would lower the gun a bit to do that, hence shooting under.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hmmm. Have you been watching me play golf, too?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
Loads in the V3...When I was thinking I was going to be able to use my guns (Weeks and weeks ago) I bought two boxes each. One set was 1 1/8Ths #8 and the other 1 ounce #8. I used the 1 1/8ths for the V3, and the 1 ounce for the 870 pump.

Bobski sent me a listing of 7/8th ounce shells but I didn't order any yet. I am certainly going to try those. I am in the middle of a potential Summertime move in the next week or so, so I don't want any shells being sent to either address (TN or TX) right now.

No store locally carries 7/8ths that I know of. Once I get settled in ...I'll buy some 7/8ths and see how they work.

Some of the sound was just a surprise at how loud they were compared to my 20 gauge. Just learning here, you know! Ha Ha

It is your decision, but IMO any 1 oz load at around 1180-1250 fps will be VERY mild in the V3. I am extremely recoil sensitive and shoot a V3 so can say that from actual trials.

The same load in the 870 at around 1200 fps should also not be too bad when you get your new recoil pad installed. Those loads will also not penalize you any in target count until you get to a handicap yardage of 23 yards in Trap.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Got a chance to pattern all 3 guns today. Happy to say that the 870 TRAP version shot about 80/20 and the V3 and the O/U 20 gauge were probably near 50/50.

Just what I wanted.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like 1 oz of 8 shot @1185 fps, great for clays and nuisance birds, very mild recoil.