ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 older Magnum w/steel shot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

I just acquired an 1100, 12 gauge Magnum left handed. Unfortunately I am right handed. It came with two barrels, one is 25" the other is 28". I think it was manufactured in 1966 and is in great shape and very tight.

I am going to get rid of it and friend is interested in using it for duck hunting. That means Steel Shoot. Are there any issues shooting 3" Magnum Steel loads from this gun?

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 older Magnum w/steel shot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

glhoffman wrote:
I just acquired an 1100, 12 gauge Magnum left handed. Unfortunately I am right handed. It came with two barrels, one is 25" the other is 28". I think it was manufactured in 1966 and is in great shape and very tight.

I am going to get rid of it and friend is interested in using it for duck hunting. That means Steel Shoot. Are there any issues shooting 3" Magnum Steel loads from this gun?

What choke?
Not recommended if full choke. Have steel choke tubes placed or open to maybe IC.
Also, alternatives to steel, Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 am 
Utility Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
glhoffman wrote:

What choke?
Not recommended if full choke. Have steel choke tubes placed or open to maybe IC.
Also, alternatives to steel, Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix.

As close as i can tell with my cheep calipers the 28" is Full choke (0.65) the 25" is IC (0.72)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can probably shoot anything from #3 and smaller thru either barrel, and anything from #1 and smaller thru the IC barrel with no worries. Today's wads are a lot better, but I did say probably. If you have choke tubes fitted and have steel rated tubes you can shoot whatever you want to.
I have a '66 1100 Magnum and with a Remington Steel Shot barrel or the original 28" Full fitted with steel tubes it has thrown everything without issue. I haven't shot anything tighter than Improved Modified, but that's because with #2 steel or #4 tungsten and Goose Hevi-Shot (the densest version) that's what patterns tightest. Modified shoots tightest with BB or B Hevi-shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm very fond of my 60's vintage Wingmasters and 1100 3"guns I do change barrels for better
performance . The 30" have been opened up to .025 along with the 26" to .012 but the 3" 1100
has a Wadlock barrel with tubes so , it's a matter of deciding how long my shots will be , inside
those perimeters it'll be a successful day !