ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: why didn't the 11-87 catch on?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Virginian wrote:
I did not care for the swoopy rollmarking or the exterior coating on the G3. No problem at all with the sandwich buttstock.

Sandwich buttstock tripped me out. Just made me nervous, probably without reason. Swoopy rollmarking seemed mellow compared to some of the goofy stuff on guns, especially clay game guns. I always see stuff like that and just figure, well, other people must like this nonsense, or else gun designers wouldn't put it on there.

For looks I think they never looked better than the 1100s years with white lines and the engraving on the receiver and bolt, especially the ones with that fabulously straight grain Remington was putting out in the 70s. For form and function I prefer the 11-87 Premiers with the plain receiver, and the 20 ga. special field 11-87 is, for my money, the best upland semi-auto ever made.

I was unaware of the G3 exterior coating. What is it supposed to do?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I wouldn't say they didn't catch on, they were just finicky. I started out at 16 with a gifted to me 870 magnum express, and bought myself a 1187 super mag synthetic as a 18th birthday present. It shot decent, but was finicky with ammo. Sold it later for a Benelli Black Eagle for the duck blind, but that gun never fit me like the Remingtons did, and I never shot it well. Went back to a Remington in 2014 with a Versamax. I also have a 20 ga compact 1187 for my wife. I went to buy myself another shotgun this year, and the finish vs price for a dull wood / matte finish 11-87 just didn't impress me. Ended up with a bronze Tristar G2.

Now if they still buit the twin to my dad's 1975 1100 he bought new at a Ace Hardware store, with the straight grain wood reference above, and the checkering without the Flour stuff in it, I'd have paid just about whatever for it. That was the best looking shotgun ever built in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd rather have a sandwiched stock where both sides look really nice, than a regular stock where one side looks nice and one side looks like an apple crate. That is the exact reason behind Realwood, to be able to produce nice looking stocks without having to source high end gun blanks to do it.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The carbon fiber stock was (is) a terrific idea. See: http://www.millerpublishing.com/FullFea ... lication=2 .

Quote:
“Initially, we just glued it together without the carbon fiber, but you could see the two grain patterns on the two pieces that wouldn’t always exactly match up,” he said. “When we put the carbon fiber in between the two Walnut pieces to break the grain, the glue line went from a negative to a positive. People saw the advantages of carbon fiber and it makes the stock stronger and more stable.”

Larry Mether is vice president of sales for Midwest Walnut, marketing the company’s products to more than 20 countries worldwide.
Though the idea for the gunstock was Stout’s, he is quick to give credit to Jim Plowman, owner of Midwest Walnut, who helped get plans rolling on the Ultra Walnut.

“He (Plowman) is the only guy who’s been in the sawmill industry who was willing to make niche products,” Stout said. “Once you to talk to (customers) about the carbon fiber, they think it’s a hell of an idea. They understand it’s going to make the neck portion of the stock stronger which has always been a concern of the gun manufacturing industry.”

Stout said the carbon fiber has eight times the tensile strength of steel, meaning the stock is much stronger and more stable than a standard wood stock. “You’re going to have to move the carbon fiber before you split the wood and the carbon fiber’s not going to move,” he said.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of stodginess on the part of the consumer when the 1100 G3 was introduced. Since then, fake wood via dips (see Beretta / Benelli) and inking has become all the rage. The 1100 G3 was ahead of its time. Remington put a lot of work into it, with a PVD coated receiver and teflon-coated internals along with Pro-Bore barrels.

The 1100 G3 was the 11-87 that didn't catch on and that's a shame.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been looking off and on for a used 1100 G3 left hand for a decade or more now. I know they exist because I've seen actual photos of them in sold listings, but my guess is they made VERY few.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a G3 which is my main target gun. I replaced the Pro-Bore barrel with a 30" 11-87 barrel. It's a heavy gun, just under 9 lbs all told. It shoots nicely and will cycle reliably with down to 3/4 oz handloads. I'm pretty happy with it.