ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wbho shoots a V3 for sporting?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone here who shoots a V3 for sporting clays please tell us your experiences. Which V3 are you using and did you alter it, weights, bigger bolt handle, etc.

Most important how does it shoot for you? I know it's the Indian not the arrow, but some guns are just easy to shoot for most people.

Thanks, Doc

Post subject: Re: Wbho shoots a V3 for sporting?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:38 am 
Crown Grade

I use mine (26 inch walnut) for informal SC, FITASC, 5 Stand, Skeet, & Olympic Trap. I have made no alterations other than the recoil pad to reduce the length of pull by .25 inch. It is now 14 3/8 inch which is perfect for me. I found that necessary because I don't shoot a pre-mounted gun except in Olympic trap of course. I much prefer a neutral balance to my guns, this model has that. The 28 inch model has a slight weight forward bias that many prefer. I did consider a larger bolt release but have never bothered with it.

I am not a registered shooter in any of those games anymore and only shoot some 100-150 targets every week. I am not good but reasonably competent on most days and my scores have gone up since only using my V3. Huge plus-no flinching!

I just enjoy shooting AT challenging targets and I am enamored of my V3's extraordinary soft recoil. Because of that fact, I shoot Walmart 100 pack Federals, 1,200 fps, 1 1/8 oz 7.5s for everything. I never could use those before due to excessive recoil. I will be placing an order soon for some better quality 1 oz at 1,250 fps to shoot from now on, so I could at least be using legal loads in my FITASC practice. The lack of maintenance required on the V3 would also be a plus for some shooters although I don't go 2,000+ rounds between cleanings.

My V3 has been 100% reliable-me, not so much! Wonderful semi auto design IMO and I have owned many, many different ones!

p.s. I forgot, if you want the larger bolt handle and bolt release; the Waterfowl Pro comes that way and in addition I think it has a beveled loading port.

Last edited by oyeme on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 am 
Field Grade

I do. It's totally reliable and very soft shooting. Very easy to clean as well.
I have the 28" barrel "Camo" version that I use in the blind, upland, and for clays.
No problems so far after using it for 1 1/2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only clay shooting I do is sporting, but I am not what you'd call a serious shooter. Before quarantine I would shoot 100-200 rounds a week outside of hunting season (which is pretty long for me). I primarily shoot my 26" walnut V3 for sporting. I have made no changes to it except extended Carlson's choke tubes and I put on a sling for duck hunting. My only complaints are loosening magazine cap and choke tubes. Otherwise it'd be very hard for me to imagine a better cheap new gun purchase. If the release a sporting version, I would be very, very inclined to buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I now use the thin model of these strap wrenches to tighten a couple of extra clicks on the forend nut and that has been at least 90% solution. In fact, I sometimes have to use it again to loosen the forend nut when I get through shooting. Since it is made of plastic and rubber, I find it does not mar either the metal or the wood.

I have not used it on extended choke tubes but it should work there also. However, I would be more inclined to just use a small strip of Teflon tape for that application rather than to take a chance on over tightening a choke tube and damaging the skirt of the CT.

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Filter-Wrenc ... nch-pcr-20