ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1187 recoil spring
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stripping and cleaning my buddies older 1187 and can't get the recoil spring out. No big deal, but would like to get it out to completely strip and clean it for him. Any tips on how to get it out after removing pin. It doesn't have a slot to allow me to rotate it to get it past the burr on the pin hole.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Post subject: Re: 1187 recoil spring
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

I compress the spring with a screwdriver, point in a safe direction and let it rip. let me know if you find a better way!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll give it a try outside and let you know if it works!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dbl -- Thanks for the suggestion. That didn't work on the first couple tries, BUT it got it far enough past the burr that I could get a punch under the lip, through the pin hole, and give it a tap. It flew right out about 10 feet. Got the follower out with a tap through the pin hole the same way.
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Installing a Sure Cycle kit may not be a good idea as the yoke that rides against the bolt system is made of cheap(er) metallurgy and several have failed, post SS installation. The action (recoil) spring tube is braised into the receiver instead of being threaded as on a Beretta or Benelli. Obviously, a cheaper way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

mea culpa -- Thanks for the info. I've got this thing apart and cleaned, so planning on reassembling/lubing as needed and shoot a few rounds before taking it back to my buddy. It is an early version and its never been cleaned. Replaced the o-ring, but everything else looks good!

Besides fishing and shooting clay targets, cleaning guns isn't a bad gig in July, and it gets me thinking about the upcoming dove and teal seasons!