ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1187 gas collar questions. Baker Big Bore barrel.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:33 pm 
Field Grade

I recently picked up this Baker Big Bore barrel. This was made by Stan Baker from an 1187 Barrel. It fits and functions on my Remington 1100 just fine as you see it, but because I’m not overly familiar with the 1187 barrels I was hoping someone could tell me what I am looking at. You can see that the gas collar has the 2 additional holes that the 1187 normally had. One of the holes was plugged with something, I’m guessing because it would allow too much gas to escape when using target loads, thus potentially not allowing enough pressure to cycle the action.
1. The holes have tapered rims around them. Was this a a stock configuration?
2. The 1187s also came with either a gas cylinder spring, or a gas cylinder collar (see pic). Which one would work with this setup if both holes were open.
3. I do have one of the collars, but the 1100 forends won’t go over the gas cylinder with the collar over it. I would need an 1187 specific forend if using the gas collar.

Any info appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1187 gas collar questions. Baker Big Bore barrel.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whatever is in those gas relief ports is new to me. It is not a Remington addition, and I had a few Stan Baker barrels; one 1100 Magnum and one 11-87, and neither of those had any such either. To shoot light loads in an 11-87 all you need is an oversized O ring or a Gas Seal Activator, you do not need to mess with the ports.
An 11-87 with a wood stock is supposed to have BOTH a gas collar and a gas spring, but I found the gas collar superfluous. The gas cylinder spring is a necessity.
Except for some early 11-87 wood fore ends, which were made with a stepped forward interior, an 11-87 barrel and an 1100 barrel will normally require the use of a different fore end, because of the different shape and size of the barrel gas ring. An 1100 barrel on an 11-87 is easier because all you need is a shim.
I found that I got gas leak by with 12 gauge barrels of .739" bore or above, but all that was more than 25 years ago now; the shot cups may have gotten better. I found I was able to achieve higher velocities with a few select loads, but I could not match Stan's results. Most "normal" loads experienced a velocity loss.