ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V3 walnut experiencing difficult loading of magazine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Recently purchased very lightly used V3 walnut that can be difficult to get the first round past the latch area when loading the magazine. Distinct grab at metal shell base with an audible click is noticeable. A forceful and speedy push of first round past the latch usually works best. Second round seems to load easier. Both older and newer style AA hulls present same issue. Resistance is at a level of causing pain with an arthritic thumb that limits amount of use endured. Any suggestion as to reducing this issue very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: V3 walnut experiencing difficult loading of magazine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:07 am 
Limited Edition

FWIW I have the same problem with my plastic stocked gun. I don’t know if there is a clear cut fix for it. I’ve been pushing the shell and wiggling it to get past the latch. I have well over 5000 shells through the gun now and still have the problem. I just live with it, but I’d love to know if there is a solution other than sending it back to the factory again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

I called the factory CS about this and their response is that you must shove the shells in rapidly and without hesitation. They indicated that there is no fix other than loading in that manner. I have gotten used to shoving them in quite forcibly and have no hang ups if done that way. It's just an idiosyncrasy of the V3 design that could be improved.

I watched a video of the V3 being used and noticed that the operator loaded the magazine very aggressively but had no hang ups doing it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Dward wrote:
FWIW I have the same problem with my plastic stocked gun. I don’t know if there is a clear cut fix for it. I’ve been pushing the shell and wiggling it to get past the latch. I have well over 5000 shells through the gun now and still have the problem. I just live with it, but I’d love to know if there is a solution other than sending it back to the factory again.

Thanks for your input. Have 400 rounds fired and three flats from previous owner. I can live with a lot of small things but my thumb is getting weary and torn. I enjoy the gun and would be nice being able to do more than a round per outing.

Last edited by skeetsit on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
I called the factory CS about this and their response is that you must shove the shells in rapidly and without hesitation. They indicated that there is no fix other than loading in that manner. I have gotten used to shoving them in quite forcibly and have no hang ups if done that way. It's just an idiosyncrasy of the V3 design that could be improved.

I watched a video of the V3 being used and noticed that the operator loaded the magazine very aggressively but had no hang ups doing it that way.

I'm assuming there must be a wide variation with it from one V3 walnut to another?

Last edited by skeetsit on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

OP: Check for PM just sent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

skeetsit wrote:
oyeme wrote:

I'm assuming there must be a wide variation with it from one V3 to another?

I`m not certain but that might be an inaccurate assumption on your part. Probably the only real and persistently negative issue, particularly with the walnut variant V3. It`s been reported before. It`s a great gun, but not smooth when it comes to the loading process apparently.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:36 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

skeetsit wrote:
Recently purchased very lightly used V3 walnut that can be difficult to get the first round past the latch area when loading the magazine. Distinct grab at metal shell base with an audible click is noticeable. A forceful and speedy push of first round past the latch usually works best. Second round seems to load easier. Both older and newer style AA hulls present same issue. Resistance is at a level of causing pain with an arthritic thumb that limits amount of use endured. Any suggestion as to reducing this issue very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The shell stop can be adjusted, to a point. All standard V3's load the same: I've had no problems.

However, the Waterfowl Pro and Turkey Pro load much easier due to a major redesign.

http://randywakeman.com/

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
skeetsit wrote:

The shell stop can be adjusted, to a point. All standard V's load the same: I've had no problems.

However, the Waterfowl Pro and Turkey Pro load much easier due to a major redesign.

Yeah, when I first started with my V3, I was more dismayed than I am now with the loading process. I`ve since learned to load it with gusto, particularly the second shell into the magazine. Certainly nothing to make me reticent to shoot the gun. Adjusting shell stops is beyond my technical abilities! LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to all for helpful input. My stage of arthritis of hands effectively reduces strength and eliminates anything involving gusto or exertion to over power the resistance required. It's obviously and simply not going to allow me to use it for skeet or anything when multiple shots are required. I do enjoy the gun, but hopefully the new owner will be able to enjoy it more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

skeetsit wrote:
Thanks to all for helpful input. My stage of arthritis of hands effectively reduces strength and eliminates anything involving gusto or exertion to over power the resistance required. It's obviously and simply not going to allow me to use it for skeet or anything when multiple shots are required. I do enjoy the gun, but hopefully the new owner will be able to enjoy it more.

That`s too bad, skeetsit, but understandable. Got to enjoy what you`re shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

skeetsit wrote:

Take it to a gunsmith and see if they can adjust it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'll be looking into purchase of waterfowl or turkey pro model with the major redesigned system. At 71 years, hanging in with my 11/87 Premier skeet 12 gauge and 1100 standard 20 gauge for recreational skeet makes sense as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

skeetsit wrote:
I'll be looking into purchase of waterfowl or turkey pro model with the major redesigned system. At 71 years, hanging in with my 11/87 Premier skeet 12 gauge and 1100 standard 20 gauge for recreational skeet makes sense as well.

Well, for clays the Turkey Pro won`t be good. The Waterfowl Pro could well be. Whatever you do, try loading it before the purchase :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Skeetsit, I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to responses shared, I came up with an alternate approach to loading the magazine. It has made my V3 walnut usable. Placing the shell on the carrier and stabilizing it there with light forward thumb pressure to shell base, then forming a fist to provide support to the thumb works quite well. The thumb end pad pressed firmly against side of index finger joint stabilizes thumb knuckle and protruding thumb tip. It provides ample support to allow a more forceful push of shell into magazine. Got through two rounds of skeet quite tolerably and excited to be back in action and enjoying the delights of V3.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am 
Crown Grade

skeetsit wrote:
Thanks to responses shared, I came up with an alternate approach to loading the magazine. It has made my V3 walnut usable. Placing the shell on the carrier and stabilizing it there with light forward thumb pressure to shell base, then forming a fist to provide support to the thumb works quite well. The thumb end pad pressed firmly against side of index finger joint stabilizes thumb knuckle and protruding thumb tip. It provides ample support to allow a more forceful push of shell into magazine. Got through two rounds of skeet quite tolerably and excited to be back in action and enjoying the delights of V3.
:D

Great skeetsit!! Glad to see you found a "technique" that will allow you to enjoy what is otherwise an excellent gun. Personally don`t think that should have been necessary in the first place, but hey, glad it worked out! Matter of fact, I think I`ll try that with mine even though I haven`t had the difficulty to the same degree.