ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Remington Current Status
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Ilion ... 44791.html

Remington either finds a buyer or heads to auction in September.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: Remington Current Status
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you Randal for the update.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is sad news, indeed. I'm hoping that Big Green survives.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lossking wrote:
I'm hoping that Big Green survives.

My gut tells me it won't. By the end of September, everyone will know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:07 pm 
Crown Grade

So, for those in the know, how would an auction for something like a gun company go? Who would conceivably bid? I would assume that`s specialized equipment ? Would the Remington brand and name just cease to exist, with no more firearms produced under the Remington name? Just hard to imagine.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I owned Ruger, I’d be interested. At least in the shotgun rights.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I ran down to Wally World and bought up their last 2 Remington 870 Express; one in 12, the other in 20 gauge. Why? I have an odd collection of some firearms that I purchase new and keep them in the box with all the accessories. Anytime a company makes major changes or even goes out of business, I buy this stuff as an selling investment later. I will hang onto these shotgun for years down the road and see if a buyer will give me some extra cash back. Even if Remington survives, this may be there last generation of 870s from the Ilion plant. I bought a new-in-box Winchester 1300 in the marine coat finish years ago that was made in NY. Last year, sold it for double what I paid for it; $675. Lucky? Maybe, I did make money. Call me crazy for doing this, but there are folks out there who will buy items such as these. Even if nothing major changes with Remington, I still have two new shotguns that I own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Am I just imagining it, but isn`t it somewhat common for gun companies to be owned by other gun companies? Winchester comes to mind but I may be way off base. Seems I recollect Randy rattling off a list of such (?). Remington has always been a stand alone company. Those days appear over, indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
lossking wrote:
I'm hoping that Big Green survives.

My gut tells me it won't. By the end of September, everyone will know.

I know you're never wrong :wink: , but hope that you are about this. {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

The company will be sold off in parts, some of which will live on. Remington ammunition, The Remington name itself, the 870 and 1100 and no doubt other components are very valuable assets. I would guess another US arms co. will try to buy the choice pieces and run “Remington” as a subsidiary. It’s not the end of the world. Winchester was in shambles when the Olins bought it in 1931 and then ran it for another 50 years successfully. Something similar will happen to Remington.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lossking wrote:
I know you're never wrong :wink: , but hope that you are about this. {hs#

You can ask my ex-wife for a different point of view. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
Remington has always been a stand alone company. Those days appear over, indeed.

Not really. Have you heard of DuPont? Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Inc. bought Remington from DuPont. Remington, Savage, H & R, Colt, S & W, lots of structural ownership changes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm 
Field Grade

Randy, thanks for keeping us posted on this on-going situation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Coopdog wrote:
The company will be sold off in parts, some of which will live on. Remington ammunition, The Remington name itself, the 870 and 1100 and no doubt other components are very valuable assets. I would guess another US arms co. will try to buy the choice pieces and run “Remington” as a subsidiary. It’s not the end of the world. Winchester was in shambles when the Olins bought it in 1931 and then ran it for another 50 years successfully. Something similar will happen to Remington.

I can`t imagine someone not picking up, at the least, the shotgun and rifle rights and, as you say, running them under the Remington name as a subsidiary. Also as you say, some of the Remington models ( 870, 1100, others ) have to be valuable assets and worthy of continuing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Coopdog wrote:
The company will be sold off in parts, some of which will live on. Remington ammunition, The Remington name itself, the 870 and 1100 and no doubt other components are very valuable assets.

Yes, the Remington name is very strong and has a great sense of history. the 870, 1100, and Model 700's are all icons. Marlin as well has a following, and both Remington ammo / Barnes bullets have been strong and profitable entities for a good long while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Remington has always been a stand alone company. Those days appear over, indeed.

Not really. Have you heard of DuPont? Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Inc. bought Remington from DuPont. Remington, Savage, H & R, Colt, S & W, lots of structural ownership changes.

Thanks Randy. I guess that`s the sort of thing I was trying to remember. Isn`t Winchester owned by somebody other than " Winchester " ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
Am I just imagining it, but isn`t it somewhat common for gun companies to be owned by other gun companies?

One would HOPE. It is no longer possible to operate a large firearm company in the state of New York. I personally love upstate N.Y.--- but apparently New York does not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
Isn`t Winchester owned by somebody other than " Winchester " ?

The brand name and trademarks are owned by Olin Chemical. The only 'Winchester' left is the ammo. The rest are Chinese clocks, knives, repackaged Turkish pumps (SXP) and downgraded Browning stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
It is no longer possible to operate a large firearm company in the state of New York. I personally love upstate N.Y.--- but apparently New York does not.

I thought I read that litigation against Bushmaster (a Remington sub) for one or more of the massacres done with AR-15’s is a big problem for Remington. This bankruptcy sale will get that nightmare off the books. A new Remington division of a large firearms company could be a good thing. Maybe a US subsidiary of a Turkish Company. Let them supply the stocks and do everything else here in the USA in a modern, non-union, business-friendly state.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Coopdog wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
It is no longer possible to operate a large firearm company in the state of New York. I personally love upstate N.Y.--- but apparently New York does not.

I thought I read that litigation against Bushmaster (a Remington sub) for one or more of the massacres done with AR-15’s is a big problem for Remington. This bankruptcy sale will get that nightmare off the books. A new Remington division of a large firearms company could be a good thing. Maybe a US subsidiary of a Turkish Company. Let them supply the stocks and do everything else here in the USA in a modern, non-union, business-friendly state.

You mean Sandy Hook? I have no idea what that litigation has cost. Does anyone? It is beyond stupid, for Federal law prohibits lawsuits against gun manufacturers for criminal use of their products.

("The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) is a United States law that protects firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable when crimes have been committed with their products. However, both manufacturers and dealers can still be held liable for damages resulting from defective products, breach of contract, criminal misconduct, and other actions for which they are directly responsible in much the same manner that any U.S.-based manufacturer of consumer products is held responsible. They may also be held liable for negligent entrustment when they have reason to know a gun is intended for use in a crime.

The PLCAA is codified at 15 U.S.C. §§ 7901–7903.)

Yet they were sued, anyway. Yet, who was sued for the Las Vegas Massacre? :shock: Kid kills Mom (with a Savage .22) and after the murder, has access to her legally owned Bushmaster and her car. It could have been a Ruger, a S&W, a Sig, an Armalite just as easily . . . or, any other of the 20+ AR-15 platform brands. But, it happened to be a Bushmaster. How stupid.

2020 YTD in Chicago: 2326 people shot.
Who has been sued? Who has so much as been charged???

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next