ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trade my VM sportsman for a V3?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Im been looking for a 20 ga auto-loader for skeet and occasional bird hunting. Since Remington doesn't make the VM or V3 in 20ga (yet) or probably never will i was looking at the Winchester SX 4. Then I noticed a V3 synthetic and i picked it up and I was like WOW! that gun just fits like a glove!!!!!. Its making me think perhaps i should trade my VM sportsman which doesnt feel as nice for that V3? Im a little hesitant because that VM sportsman has be incredibly reliable and has never malfunctioned. I even cycles 7/8 reloads :shock: . So i dont want to jinks myself if the V3 hasn't been as good a gun and with all the Remington bashing ive been hearing from gun store clerks and gunsmiths that Rems quality has gone down and now with the chapter 11 i wonder it would be a good to trade?

I cant afford the 1100s or the benelli and berettas right now and i dropped $1650 on a Cynergy last spring so im kinda on a budget. All the remington shotguns feel great in my shoulder and are american made.

I did see 11-87 20ga on clearance for $359 so that may be an option to get my auto 20ga. ive been wanting also:?: My 870 exp took a dump that other day thought i'd replace it with that since i have copious remchokes laying around :lol:

Brent

Post subject: Re: trade my VM sportsman for a V3?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 am 
Crown Grade

Brent, FWIW, as have all the Remington guns I’ve owned since the 80’s, my V3 walnut has been an excellent field and informal clays gun. NONE have ever failed me, NOT ONCE. Then again, I do keep them clean. Yes, Remington’s been through and is in some rough waters right now. Based on my experience with Remington products through the years and their current excellent customer service, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a new Remington gun.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:40 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe wishful thinking as I have nothing to back up my thoughts on the bankruptcy; but I think Remington will continue to make guns. Having said that, there are already a whole bunch of V3 synthetics around and parts, service to match.

If the V3 fits you as you describe, I would not hesitate to buy one. My V3 like others has been 100% reliable with anything that I have fed it. It is a very good platform and my favorite do-anything 12 gauge.

However, I have never made a "trade" where I thought I got a fair value for the gun I got rid of, so I would keep the VM and buy a synthetic V3. Best of all worlds! Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The V3 is an excellent gun, but it isn't going to scratch that 20 gauge itch you have. I would look for a good used LT 20 with a RemChoke barrel, or see how a 20 gauge 11-87 suits you. One caveat, if weight matters avoid the flat black LT 20s. I bought a youth model and with a shorter barrel it weighed more than my LT 20 Magnum with a 26 " 2-3/4" RemChoke barrel. That polishing removes weight. The newer satin finish on the 11-87s is much smoother and better looking IMO.
All of them have an excellent record of reliability.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

eight seventy71 wrote:
Then I noticed a V3 synthetic and i picked it up and I was like WOW! that gun just fits like a glove!!!!!.

Why would you not buy it?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 am 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
eight seventy71 wrote:
Then I noticed a V3 synthetic and i picked it up and I was like WOW! that gun just fits like a glove!!!!!.

Why would you not buy it?

was a little concerned about the negative talk about Remington and what if its not as reliable as my VM sportsman. However i cant worry about that. i think i will still pick one up. I believe Remington will have a rebate coming up and ive seen the V3s go on sale around this time. :D

hope its offered in a 20ga someday :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

If I could, I`d keep the VM and get the V3.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 am 
Limited Edition

Tidefanatic wrote:

And then look for a 20ga :)
Take your time, make it happen. Even if you have to sell some furniture or something, LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:51 am 
Crown Grade

DooFighter wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

And then look for a 20ga :)
Take your time, make it happen. Even if you have to sell some furniture or something, LOL.

Absolutely! why not? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 am 
Crown Grade

Randy Wakeman made a very detailed review comparing several 20 gauge guns. In addition, he reviewed the Remington 11-87. It looks like you have several choices in 20 gauge and the best according to his reviews is the Mossberg SA-20 and he also thought highly of the Remington 11-87. On a personal preference level, I really like the looks of that 20 gauge Rem. 11-87.

Check it all out in below links.

http://randywakeman.com/WhytheMossbergSA20istheBest.htm

http://randywakeman.com/MossWeatherbyBa ... artTwo.htm

http://randywakeman.com/ReviewRemington ... yGauge.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

eight seventy71 wrote:
should trade my VM sportsman which doesnt feel as nice for that V3? Im a little hesitant because that VM sportsman has be incredibly reliable and has never malfunctioned. I even cycles 7/8 reloads :shock: .

People tend to think WAY too much. It sounds like you're getting all cranked up over gunshop noise. You already know better, based on your "VM sportsman has be incredibly reliable and has never malfunctioned." You need to sell it because of what, exactly? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm far better at foretelling the past than predicting the future, but I've seen all of this before, as have others. Doesn't anyone here remember when Winchester closed?

January 17, 2006. The text is included below:

U.S. Repeating Arms Company To Close New Haven, CT Facility – U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns will close its New Haven, Connecticut manufacturing facility. Many efforts were made to improve profitability at the manufacturing facility in New Haven, and the decision was made after exhausting all available options.

Quote:
Effective March 31, 2006, the New Haven manufacturing facility will stop manufacturing the Winchester Model 70, Model 94 and Model 1300.

Winchester Firearms will continue to sell and grow its current line of Select Over & Under shotguns, the new Super X3 autoloading shotgun, the new Super X autoloading rifle and Limited Edition rifles. The company also plans to introduce new models in the future. There will be no change in Customer Service.

This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization. Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.

What happened in 2006 was this: New Haven Winchesters (USRAC) instantly flew off the shelves, their prices doubling overnight. Seemingly EVERYONE wanted a New Haven made Winchester. The product was no better or worse than it was prior to New Haven's announced closing, but we always want what we can't have. The same thing happened with "Genuine North Haven" Marlin's.

You'll see the same thing with Remington. The day that Ilion closes, everyone will want a genuine Ilion, New York made V3, 870 Wingmaster, 1100, 11-87, or Model 700. It has already happened: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875741533 . Remington has had a massive backlog of orders for TAC-13's: MSRP $933. Yet, they have been selling for over $2000 for some time.

V3 Waterfowl Pro's and Turkey Pros are hard to find. You could do a lot worse than buying a dozen of each (if you can find them) and sticking them in the safe.

Regardless of the outcome, the V3 is a terrific shotgun. I've felt that since I first shot pre-production prototypes. If you think I'm selling any of my V3's, forgetaboutit. The only rational way to value something is replacement cost. There is nothing out there that works as satisfyingly well as a V3 at anywhere near its price point.

Nobody makes mass-produced repeating shotguns from blocks of solid steel except Remington. Anyone could-- the patents are long ago expired. Just as soon as you can't get them, you'll want them.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
eight seventy71 wrote:
should trade my VM sportsman which doesnt feel as nice for that V3? Im a little hesitant because that VM sportsman has be incredibly reliable and has never malfunctioned. I even cycles 7/8 reloads :shock: .

People tend to think WAY too much. It sounds like you're getting all cranked up over gunshop noise. You already know better, based on your "VM sportsman has be incredibly reliable and has never malfunctioned." You need to sell it because of what, exactly? :roll: :roll: :roll:

well....for one I"d sell it because i wouldnt need it if i got the V3. The V3 feels and points way better. Plus it would help defray the cost a little. Im also looking at a 20ga auto as well or maybe just save up for a dedicated 20 ga clays O/U. The VM i really have to push my cheek down on the stock to line up properly. The v3 i dont have to. I wondering what the diff between the two are. I was going to research that. I think the stock is different and then a 3" chamber.?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

eight seventy71 wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
eight seventy71 wrote:

well....for one I"d sell it because i wouldnt need it if i got the V3. The V3 feels and points way better. Plus it would help defray the cost a little. Im also looking at a 20ga auto as well or maybe just save up for a dedicated 20 ga clays O/U. The VM i really have to push my cheek down on the stock to line up properly. The v3 i dont have to. I wondering what the diff between the two are. I was going to research that. I think the stock is different and then a 3" chamber.?

They use a similar gas system, yet they are different. No action spring in the butt stock of the V3 and like you know, 3 inch VS 3.5 inch chamber. Lighter weight-mine is 7 1/4 lbs. Very little maintenance required and very simple when that is necessary. From what Remington says there are no interchangeable parts.

The V3 is one heck of a semi auto especially for the money, and it should please you. I love mine.

BTW, that $360 for a new 11-87 20 gauge is a steal IMO!