ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full frame 20 gauge cycling problem
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:16 pm 
Field Grade

Hi team. I have a full frame 20 gauge 1100 Skeet B with an 'L' serial number that's giving me some cycling problems. About once per 25 rounds, I got a failure to feed with the second shell getting stuck just before it goes into battery. I was using 7/8 oz 1200 FPS Gun Clubs. It acts like the problem I've had with my Beretta 391. The gun is fairly new to me, and the recoil spring was pretty noisy, so I thought I'd start by checking or replacing the spring. I bought a regular 1100 spring, but it's completely different that the one in the gun currently. The new spring is made of wire that's about 30 thousandths thick, whereas the existing spring is about 50 thousandths. Also, the new one has about 1/2 as many coils and is a little shorter.

Does anyone know a source for a new, correct spring for this gun? Or, is there something else I can try? Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve in NC

Post subject: Re: Full frame 20 gauge cycling problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:54 am 
Field Grade

Buy a Wolff or JNP Products recoil spring. I've had luck with both. https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/REMINGTON ... -p72243316
https://www.gunsprings.com/REMINGTON/11 ... dID217#575

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

If by "full frame" you mean that your gun is built on the 12 gauge frame, the serial number should end with an "X". I have several and they are all numbered in this way. Check the left side of the frame or barrel to see if it marked "LW" or "LT-20". If it is, you will need to take that into account when you order your spring. Also, check the feed ramp going into the barrel to make sure this is no metal burr or sharp edge that the shell may be catching. If it does, a couple of passes with a round file or Dremel tool should take care of it. Speaking from experience, except with mine it was with Rio shells.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is a gun built on a 12 gauge frame with the serial # ending in 'X'. (I just went through an expensive process to get my Beretta 391 cycling properly, and I sure hope the 1100 cycling is something I can easily fix. Not that a Beretta and Remington are the same mechanically, but the symptom is the same.)

JNP sells a recoil spring kit with the O-ring for $30 and Wolff sells the spring kit without the O-ring for $25. JNP describes its spring in some detail, but Wolff doesn't. Is there a difference between them?

Thanks again.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

My last several springs have been JNP and I've been very happy. You can just buy their spring for $17 plus shipping but before you invest, you should do some trouble shooting. You state that the recoil spring is noisy. I can't say I've heard a recoil springs in an 1100. I'd recommend taking the stock off and removing the spring to have a look. While it's out, clean out the tube and measure the spring. If it's shorter than 14.5" it should be replaced.

As a reference, I currently have two 1100 20 gauge standards and have had others. All were somewhat finicky on ammo. I now only shoot Winchester AA shells through them, either new or reloads and experience fewer issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:31 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks again for your help! I cleaned it up good and put the original spring back in. I'll try some different shells and see what happens. (That is, as soon as I get the stupid feed latch swaged back into place.)

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:39 am 
Field Grade

Several people on this site recommend using super glue on the feed latch. While I still stake mine, super glue is easier if you do a good job of degreasing the channel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds to me like all it needs is a good deep cleaning and replacement of the action spring with one you are sure is standard. I have never had a problem using a standard Remington spring, but I have fixed several guns that were malfunctioning with after market springs by going back to an original spring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I think factory recoil springs from Remington are about half the price of aftermarket springs and always worked well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

Keep the comments coming guys! I appreciate all your help.

What does the fact that the gun is a 20 gauge Skeet B on a 12 gauge frame tell me about the “standard” Remington spring I should use? That’s a sincere question BTW, not sarcasm. I mean, wouldn’t a 20g Skeet model demand a lighter weight spring. Or does the 12 gauge frame mean I should use a 12 gauge spring? Or, is a spring a spring?

Virginian, whereabouts in W’burg are you? I spent a few years at the College myself.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is ZERO reason to spend any more money on springs for a Remington than buying the OEM springs.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All of the action springs on the 12, 16, 20 gauge standard, and 20 gauge LW and LT, and the 28 gauge, and the 12 and 20 gauge 11-87 are the same spring. Pretty sure .410 is too but can't find the info right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:24 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Virginian. That's the clarity I needed.

Steve