ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help!! snap cap stuck in my V3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

oday i went and disassembled my brand new V3 and gave it a cleaning. Got it all back together and the action worked fine. I shouldve just left it as it but my dumb azz put a couple of 12ga snapp caps or a plastic dummy round to see if it would cycle them. I pulled the trigger and then it ejected the shell fine. Then did it again and now the action is stuck!.... like really really stuck. I cant pull the barrel off. I dropped the trigger assembly to see wth was going on and i cant see anything. I cant pull the bolt back either??? I pulled hard on the barrel and it moves about 1/4 and there it sticks. It seems the bolt is caught on the snap cap or the cap is stuck in the barrel...i dunno. Unless something in the bolt assemble broke? I dont want to break the operating handle either.
Im problably going to have to bring it to a gunsmith so i dont damage it but the scary thing is that theres nothing left to take apart to get the bolt or the barrel off, Any ideas in the meantime to try :( :( :( :( . I cannot figure out what happend

Post subject: Re: Help!! snap cap stuck in my V3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I would try a wood dowel down the barrel to get it out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:56 am 
Crown Grade

Like soudakbearfan said, a 5/8 inch wood dowel or thereabouts. I am assuming plastic snap caps and IMO they are to be avoided plus not needed. Good luck an please let us know if you get everything back to normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:17 am 
Limited Edition

The dowel rod is the best method. I suggest it be at least 6 inches longer than the barrel. Place the gun muzzle down, on the dowel rod, on a protected surface like a hard rubber mat. Use your body’s weight to press down on the dowel. Push hard. If all else fails use a heavy hammer. If it is a plastic snap cap it may shatter. But, the idea is to move the bolt.

I assume from reading the post that the stuck round was moved from the magazine to the chamber during the dry cycle. If it is a plastic cap it may be broken already.

Please let us know what happened and how it was corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:59 am 
Presentation Grade

The V3 has a rotating bolt. If the bolt body is stuck forward you won't get anywhere by pushing on the snap cap from the front. It locks up tight for firing and won't budge. If the bolt body is rearward then pushing on the snap cap from the front sounds good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

The bolt face will rotate. Try to hold the bolt face in position and slide the bottom of the bolt...that might get the face to disengage. GL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:20 pm 
Utility Grade

good point by roadman the bolt is all the way forward. I released it in the dry cycle when it slammed forward my guess is how the snap cap got stuck. With the trigger assemble out
i can move bolt block a little bit. Its the bolt head that is lodged and not able to rotate. The shell support and bolt carrier assembly pieces seemed to be where they are supposed to be and not broke (i hope).

should the focus be more on trying to pull the barrel off since the bolt head is lodged??

i will try the gently dowel method and see how that works. THe idea is to brake snap cap which is plastic including the rim hoping that will dislodge the bolt or the barrel?? I hope i dont break the cam pin :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The extractor is what is keeping the bolt locked up tightly to the barrel. This extractor is hooked over the edge of the snap cap which is stuck in the chamber. There's no doubt in my mind that the steel extractor is much stronger than the thin plastic rim of the snap cap.

If you'll try the foot/boot on the bolt handle, I'm confident that the extractor will pull right through that thin edge of the snap cap, thereby freeing the bolt from being locked to the barrel.

Once you get the bolt back, the barrel will pull off very easily since there will be nothing holding it. Then you can use a mallet and rod to pound out the snap cap with no danger of breaking anything (other than the POS snap cap).

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 pm 
Utility Grade

*UPDATE*

Mission accomplished!! I got a dowel and tried the down the barrel method however the 5/8 dowel got stuck :shock: Once i got it out i put the dowel on the operating handle and one tap with the rubber mallet and it came out. I kinda over worried about it if i just did that before i'd saved myself some stress but its an $800 shotgun if it was an ol 870 or something I wouldn't of cared. Lesson learned

thanks to all the Remington lovers who gave their .02 on helping me {hs# :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

eight seventy71 wrote:
*UPDATE*

Mission accomplished!! I got a dowel and tried the down the barrel method however the 5/8 dowel got stuck :shock: Once i got it out i put the dowel on the operating handle and one tap with the rubber mallet and it came out. I kinda over worried about it if i just did that before i'd saved myself some stress but its an $800 shotgun if it was an ol 870 or something I wouldn't of cared. Lesson learned

thanks to all the Remington lovers who gave their .02 on helping me {hs# :D

Thanks for reporting back. I told ya that all it needed was a good shove/kick on the bolt handle. Glad it worked for ya. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.