ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Battered gas piston Versamax.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've seen the VM mushrooming mentioned in a couple threads over the years, think there is a few posts buried deep in the massive TuJay's VersaMax thread about this? And if I remember correctly, it was bad heat treatment on a batch of pistons? But I'm pretty sure that was years ago about that batch. OP said he's had the gun for 8 months, did you buy it new? Or was it purchased on second hand market?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 am 
Utility Grade

trdjohn wrote:
I've seen the VM mushrooming mentioned in a couple threads over the years, think there is a few posts buried deep in the massive TuJay's VersaMax thread about this? And if I remember correctly, it was bad heat treatment on a batch of pistons? But I'm pretty sure that was years ago about that batch. OP said he's had the gun for 8 months, did you buy it new? Or was it purchased on second hand market?

I bought it new in late 2019. The gun was imported into my country in 2018 though. Serial number is RT27272B, not sure how to tell when it's manufactured.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 am 
Crown Grade

theix wrote:
trdjohn wrote:

I bought it new in late 2019. The gun was imported into my country in 2018 though. Serial number is RT27272B, not sure how to tell when it's manufactured.

Remington customer service will provide that information if you provide the serial number. They have an online chat service. At least that`s how I got the date of manufacture on one of my Remington guns.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:57 am 
Crown Grade

theix wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Why not try their chat line for customer service?

FWIW the gas pistons on the V3 leave a little play between the bolt carrier assembly that it acts on and the ends of the pistons.

Good to know. So I take it that the play is normal.

Indeed, and not uncommon.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

You mentioned needing to use buckshot and slugs in IPSC. If impact energy isn't important, perhaps "reduced" or "managed" recoil loads would be part of the solution. Regardless of whether they're labeled "magnum", slugs and buckshot loads tend to be loaded for maximum velocity. The alternative reduced recoil loads could be a workaround solution for the Versaport situation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

F*W*F wrote:
You mentioned needing to use buckshot and slugs in IPSC. If impact energy isn't important, perhaps "reduced" or "managed" recoil loads would be part of the solution. Regardless of whether they're labeled "magnum", slugs and buckshot loads tend to be loaded for maximum velocity. The alternative reduced recoil loads could be a workaround solution for the Versaport situation.

Although what F*W*F provides is a logical workaround; I don't understand why it should be necessary. The VM is designed to shoot 3.5 inch shells which can be loaded to that shells higher pressures limit of 14,000 psi VS standard 2 3/4 & 3 inch fodder at 11,500 psi.

If there are no other issues with that VM, then IMO it has to be a flaw in those gas pistons metallurgy. The proposed workaround will undoubtedly work but it is only that, i.e. a workaround.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:08 pm 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
F*W*F wrote:

Although what F*W*F provides is a logical workaround; I don't understand why it should be necessary. The VM is designed to shoot 3.5 inch shells which can be loaded to that shells higher pressures limit of 14,000 psi VS standard 2 3/4 & 3 inch fodder at 11,500 psi.

If there are no other issues with that VM, then IMO it has to be a flaw in those gas pistons metallurgy. The proposed workaround will undoubtedly work but it is only that, i.e. a workaround.

In most cases, I'd agree with you, but the Versaport system's primary way (and only way in the Versamax) of dealing with varying chamber pressures is the fact that longer shells utilize fewer gas ports. The action will tend to be overgassed with magnum pressure ammunition shorter than 3".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:34 pm 
Crown Grade

F*W*F wrote:
oyeme wrote:
F*W*F wrote:

In most cases, I'd agree with you, but the Versaport system's primary way (and only way in the Versamax) of dealing with varying chamber pressures is the fact that longer shells utilize fewer gas ports. The action will tend to be overgassed with magnum pressure ammunition shorter than 3".

Good point and you are probably right when it comes to 2 3/4 inch shells that exceed the pressures that are normally encountered for that length shell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

F*W*F wrote:

Exactly! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Versamax has no means of compensating for differences in gas pressure of shells of the same length. So, a hot 2 3/4" load may put more stress and wear on the gun's parts than a 3 1/2" magnum load. It's just a characteristic of the design.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.