ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V3 Gas Venting After Repair
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Wowzer, that is a nice price...I just jumped on. Thanks...I guess. LOL. I hope it is long enough to just put a plastic buttplate on.

The V3 has the best feeling synthetic stock I've ever used, but I can see putting these on while duck season is out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:18 am 
Limited Edition

Wowzer, FullandFuller

Your comments started me looking for a wood set. Found one at CDNN sports. $39.99 new, walnut stock and forearm. It should be delivered Saturday. I’d probably never buy new furniture, but the price was too good to pass up. Hope it works. I also bought a new walnut set for my 45 year old 870. It was priced right as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dward wrote:
Wowzer, FullandFuller

Your comments started me looking for a wood set. Found one at CDNN sports. $39.99 new, walnut stock and forearm. It should be delivered Saturday. I’d probably never buy new furniture, but the price was too good to pass up. Hope it works. I also bought a new walnut set for my 45 year old 870. It was priced right as well.

I rubbed on an additional coating of boiled linseed oil. It really gave the wood some pop. I have 2 sets...the price was too good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You did good in my opinion. Some years ago I got an extra like new wood set for my 1100s for $53 on ebay before everyone else discovered that. Then later I got a new straight grip walnut set for my LT-20 for $100. If there's ever a barrel and stock shortage I'm ready.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:11 pm 
Limited Edition

The wood sets arrived from CDNN this morning. No complaints, no problems. The grain is straight and is a pleasant medium brown walnut. The V3 comes without a recoil pad. If you order one of these please realize that the pad on the plastic stock won’t work very well. The back of the plastic stock pad is designed to be inserted into the stock. On the wood stock this means the pad is not flush with the wood. You’ll need a different recoil pad. Also, I found it best to remove tension from the action springs before removing the stock. Simply remove the forearm and barrel to release the tension.

I’ll be shooting the gun tomorrow. I have added flex tape to the plastic forearm and I’ll be seeing if that change has any effect as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

A limbsaver 10102 (Classic) or 10806 (AirTech) recoil pad will fit on a V3 walnut stock. I think the Remington branded pad is nicer. Either of the Limbsaver pads or the Remington pad would work with or without the 1/8" spacer that comes with a walnut V3.

I just ordered a walnut V3 buttstock only from CDNN. I plan on using a LOP adjusting kit from Stock Positioning Systems (link below). I have used these before and I like them a lot. Of course they take time to mount, require proficiency with tools, and the patience of Job. The one I used before looks great. When the installation is finished I should have a V3 with LOP adjustable from 12 1/2" out to 14 1/2". The mounting hardware might make the shorter LOP 13". I will need to have the hardware all in front of me to verify the exact dimensions but the one I mounted a few years ago on my Sterlingworth looks like it should work at the shorter size. This will give me options for using my V3 as a loaner for smaller stature shooters.

https://stockpositioning.com/products/sps-2-sliding-post-adjustable-lop-pad-plate-black-stock-positioning

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dward wrote:
trdjohn,

I hope you get your gun back as quickly as possible.

Thanks, hope you can find a fix to your issue.

I got my gun back this afternoon. I shipped it out late Friday afternoon Sept 4th, over the Labor day weekend, they got it on Tuesday, 9/8; they had the gun for 6 business days, and then two shipping days back to me in Chicagoland. All this as hunting seasons start to pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Great turnaround. I hope this fixes your issue. Let us know after you get a chance to test it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:11 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm happy to report both the FlexTape and the wood stock corrected the problem. I placed one layer of one inch FlexTape on the inside bottom of the forearm. The tape is thick, but very flexible. Extra pressure was needed to seat the forearm, but this caused the tape to form a damn at the precise location were the gas was leaking. I removed the forearm after several hundred shells without gas escaping and saw no burning or melting of the tape. I consider that successful. If the venting reoccurs I'll add new tape.

But, I doubt I'll be using the plastic stock very much after acquiring the wood set. The wood changes the feel of the gun and I prefer it to the plastic. I was impressed by the density and grain of the walnut. There was no gas venting at the receiver with the wood.

Since the internet has no end, we're told, I hope this may help someone solve their problem in the future. Thank you all who provided constructive input on the problem. Your ideas were all helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am 
Crown Grade

Love it when a plan comes together. Well done. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

Dward wrote:
I'm happy to report both the FlexTape and the wood stock corrected the problem. I placed one layer of one inch FlexTape on the inside bottom of the forearm. The tape is thick, but very flexible. Extra pressure was needed to seat the forearm, but this caused the tape to form a damn at the precise location were the gas was leaking. I removed the forearm after several hundred shells without gas escaping and saw no burning or melting of the tape. I consider that successful. If the venting reoccurs I'll add new tape.

But, I doubt I'll be using the plastic stock very much after acquiring the wood set. The wood changes the feel of the gun and I prefer it to the plastic. I was impressed by the density and grain of the walnut. There was no gas venting at the receiver with the wood.

Since the internet has no end, we're told, I hope this may help someone solve their problem in the future. Thank you all who provided constructive input on the problem. Your ideas were all helpful.

Congrats on finding a solution(s). I like my walnut V3 very much and would ( and have ) recommend it to just about anyone. I`m also a longtime Remington fan, based upon the excellent performance through the years of the Remington products I`ve owned and used and the service I`ve received when needed from Remington customer service. With all that said, I just don`t think someone should feel they have to stick tape on a new gun. Just me.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Care to post photos of the new furniture? I’d love to see it.