ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 Fail To Fire
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Took it on a dove shoot Saturday. Shot it one time and it snapped on the second shell. Took the shell out and it had a VERY LIGHT indent on the primer. Swapped guns to finish. Total disassembly and cleaning last night. Tried shooting it. Same thing. Snap with a very light dimple on the primer. Nothing looked broken. Pushing the firing pin protrusion from the rear of the bolt in to even with the bolt yields no protrusion on the front. Pushing it way into the bolt yields protrusion on the front. Pin doesn't look broken on the front..........Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Post subject: Re: 11-87 Fail To Fire
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Took it on a dove shoot Saturday. Shot it one time and it snapped on the second shell. Took the shell out and it had a VERY LIGHT indent on the primer. Swapped guns to finish. Total disassembly and cleaning last night. Tried shooting it. Same thing. Snap with a very light dimple on the primer. Nothing looked broken. Pushing the firing pin protrusion from the rear of the bolt in to even with the bolt yields no protrusion on the front. Pushing it way into the bolt yields protrusion on the front. Pin doesn't look broken on the front..........Any ideas as to what is wrong?

How many rounds have been shot through this gun in the past? When was the last time that the trigger assembly and bolt assembly were removed from the receiver? If you haven't done so lately, it's time to do it now.

Soak the bolt and trigger assemblies in solvent such as mineral spirits or kerosene for at least 30 minutes. Then remove from solvent and let dry. After dry, lubricate well with Breakfree CLP or similar. Reassemble gun and try again. It also could be an ammo problem. Try a different ammo.

You also might need to do some further checking or possibly replacement of parts, but let's try the above first.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Broken firing pin spring is most likely suspect.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Could be Skeet man. As in my post the gun hasn't been shot much since I got it last year.

Ulysses. In my post I stated that I had disassembled and deep cleaned the gun after the shoot and upon re-assembly it still failed to fire.

Thanks Guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Could be Skeet man. As in my post the gun hasn't been shot much since I got it last year.

Ulysses. In my post I stated that I had disassembled and deep cleaned the gun after the shoot and upon re-assembly it still failed to fire.

Thanks Guys.

Yes, but the word "disassembled" means different things to different people on this board. We get questions all the time from people saying they completely "disassembled" their gun and gave it a thorough cleaning, but to them that didn't include removal of the bolt assembly or trigger assembly. It's hard for us to know what each person's definition of "disassembled" means if they don't give more details.

As Skeet Man said, it could be a broken firing pin return spring, but it could also be other things. A weak hammer spring would be at the top of the list of likely suspects too. Could also be a broken firing pin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

When I deep clean I totally disassemble the gun down to the stock/magazine tube and receiver. I deep cleaned the trigger assembly as well as the forks and spring that return the bolt to battery. And I stated above I disassembled the bolt too. Note FP protrusion in first post. Ammo was factory Remington and Federal. Holding the trigger a$$'y and snapping the hammer against my finger it seems strong. Could be the FP even though the front of it looks rounded instead jagged like a break. Note it shot one time and quit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you look closely at the firing pin spring ? Often when it breaks it intertwines with itself and the break is hard to see. That is by FAR the most likely candidate. Next is a broken firing pin. When one does break, which isn't all that common, it usually breaks where the diameter steps down, not at the tip.
Weak hammer spring is way down the list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I deep clean I totally disassemble the gun down to the stock/magazine tube and receiver. I deep cleaned the trigger assembly as well as the forks and spring that return the bolt to battery. And I stated above I disassembled the bolt too. Note FP protrusion in first post. Ammo was factory Remington and Federal. Holding the trigger a$$'y and snapping the hammer against my finger it seems strong. Could be the FP even though the front of it looks rounded instead jagged like a break. Note it shot one time and quit.

Well then, taking you at your word that you cleaned and lubed it good and that you disassembled the bolt and put it back together properly, I'm going to double down on my first guess of a weak hammer spring.

I'm pretty sure that if you disassembled the bolt, you would have noticed if the firing pin or the firing pin spring were broken. Since you didn't notice either of those things, I'm nearly certain it's the hammer spring unless you just got a bad batch of ammo. But if your other gun shot this same ammo without any problems, then that puts us back to a weak hammer spring.

What you COULD do if you don't have another hammer spring handy is to simply cut about 3 to 4 coils off the firing pin spring. Keep in mind that the firing pin spring is working AGAINST you as far as ignition of the round in the chamber. The stronger the firing pin spring, the WEAKER the hit on the primer. That's why I don't think the problem is a broken firing pin spring. If the FP spring breaks, it will HELP the firing pin hit the primer harder because it won't offer as much resistance to hold back the firing pin.

So, clip about 3 or 4 coils off the FP spring and try again. If that works, then the problem is/was the hammer spring. Shortening the FP spring is not guaranteed to fix the problem if the hammer spring is VERY weak, but if it's only borderline weak, then clipping a few coils from the FP spring could be enough to make a difference.