ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New, and wonderful, V3 + Parts info
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am 
Utility Grade

So, compared to many of you I don't really know what I am talking about. I only got into shotguns 3 years ago, but on that first informal skeet shoot with fellow redneck amateurs and friends, I knew I had found something that made my life better. In short order I obtained my first 12ga 870, an Express, which is what I could afford. Soon after that I found an older (1984) Wingmaster Police model that had been abused and replaced by a local police department and I have enjoyed them both immensely. I have access now to some friends' Mossberg 500's and while I can see their strong points, I prefer the 870 world for pumps. At the time this began, I never imagined moving into the Semi-Auto world.

But you all who kept talking about the V3 kept picking the scab for me, tempting me to check them out. After hearing that the fit was the same as an 870, numerous reviews of good and bad, and lots of informative videos, I ordered one about a month ago online without ever having held one - a plain synthetic Field Sport with 26" barrel.

Mercy sakes, I love this gun! Everything said about balance is right on, lighter than my 870's, and seems to be even easier to shoot well with my personal skeet hobby. (Me and my automatic launcher that this addiction led me to buy.)

My gun has the vented gas bocks, and maybe on one outing did I feel something hit my face, possibly two times. HOWEVER, I am left handed and shoot right handed guns. On that day of about 150 rounds, I had seven or eight different brands and price points of ammo with me to intentionally see if it would mess up with cheap stuff versus the top end stuff. The shells ranged from $5.48 ammo from Walmart from Estate, Federal, and Winchester, up to the beautiful shells found inside boxes of Nitro 27, STS, AA, and Gold Medal shells. The one failure to feed properly came from a Gold Medal that had a flopping chunk of plastic on the edge of the crimp end that kept it from being able to fully seat in the chamber - not the gun's fault, and with that removed, it busted a clay just fine. the hammer did fall on that shot, but the bolt was too far rearward for proper contact. I did have some black specks on my forearm that day, but nothing hot and nothing of a hindrance. I have come home with a couple of mild black smears on my face, but I am bad about rubbing my face with dirty hands, so in the absence of looking at myself in the mirror after each shot, I cannot say that the blackness was from a venting issue. I am happily impressed!

A further day out was made up of intentionally using a 100 count box of Walmart Federal shells. I wanted to try this after Randy's comment that life improves if you do not shoot those. In my life, there were not even and black particles on my forearm. Gun ran great, and I was super happy. That 100 cost me $19.48!

Don't get me wrong, I love the pretty STS sparkly green shells along with the others, but I cannot afford to live that high on the hog all the time. Also, for my purposes, apparently promo loads work just as well for me as the good stuff. I am glad to see this work horse gun accommodate my lowly station of skill level as well as a Dr. Wakeman - I think this gun will do me just fine till I die!

So, to all of the supporters, and even the naysayers, thank you for your input. Thanks to you all, I was able to make an informed decision that has made my shooting life more fun and enjoyable. I really do appreciate it. Sure, I had to pay $729 for it, but it is so totally worth that. I really wish I had taken the plunge when they were to be had for less, but I also have no regrets, except that I cannot afford another to be able to have one for both my boys.

Also, I think due to the lighter weight and me becoming more comfortable with both eyes open when shooting, this gun seems to "dust" the clays better than my 870 - I crippled more clays with it than I dusted. I have used the factory Mod choke and a Carlson's mod in it to see if there was a difference and I could not tell any. I have yet to pattern it (will do soon!), but it seems to shoot exactly where I am aiming.

So, the parts info, prompted by the well prepared boy scout in me, is that Remington is still open even as of today (9/22) and shipping parts. I have been able to obtain all the springs in the bolt (3), a new firing pin, the bolt carrier cam pin some say can shear off, and a pair of action springs as insurance for a long and beautiful relationship.

I am only about 400 rounds in or so, but I look forward to that being in the tens of thousands. I am glad I did not wait, and I would encourage anyone on the fence to take the plunge while it can be taken.

Thanks for reading and for all the encouragement in the V3 direction as well. May Big Green survive well.

Josh

Post subject: Re: New, and wonderful, V3 + Parts info
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey Josh! Welcome. I'm glad you like your pick of guns. You'll get years of fun and service out of it. I started shooting the Walmart Federal shells also. They work well in my guns. And, since I shoot a lot, they're affordable when I can't get reloading components.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Josh, great report! Thanks for your assessment. You might want to look over the ending of the thread on "V3 Gas Auto Venting After Repair."

Your review mirrors many others on the V3. Good luck in your shooting and I too hope their is a future for Big Green.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you all for your kind welcome! I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and the ways your contributions have made me a better outdoorsman.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:07 am 
Crown Grade

Josh Wallace wrote:
So, compared to many of you I don't really know what I am talking about. I only got into shotguns 3 years ago, but on that first informal skeet shoot with fellow redneck amateurs and friends, I knew I had found something that made my life better. In short order I obtained my first 12ga 870, an Express, which is what I could afford. Soon after that I found an older (1984) Wingmaster Police model that had been abused and replaced by a local police department and I have enjoyed them both immensely. I have access now to some friends' Mossberg 500's and while I can see their strong points, I prefer the 870 world for pumps. At the time this began, I never imagined moving into the Semi-Auto world.

But you all who kept talking about the V3 kept picking the scab for me, tempting me to check them out. After hearing that the fit was the same as an 870, numerous reviews of good and bad, and lots of informative videos, I ordered one about a month ago online without ever having held one - a plain synthetic Field Sport with 26" barrel.

Mercy sakes, I love this gun! Everything said about balance is right on, lighter than my 870's, and seems to be even easier to shoot well with my personal skeet hobby. (Me and my automatic launcher that this addiction led me to buy.)

My gun has the vented gas bocks, and maybe on one outing did I feel something hit my face, possibly two times. HOWEVER, I am left handed and shoot right handed guns. On that day of about 150 rounds, I had seven or eight different brands and price points of ammo with me to intentionally see if it would mess up with cheap stuff versus the top end stuff. The shells ranged from $5.48 ammo from Walmart from Estate, Federal, and Winchester, up to the beautiful shells found inside boxes of Nitro 27, STS, AA, and Gold Medal shells. The one failure to feed properly came from a Gold Medal that had a flopping chunk of plastic on the edge of the crimp end that kept it from being able to fully seat in the chamber - not the gun's fault, and with that removed, it busted a clay just fine. the hammer did fall on that shot, but the bolt was too far rearward for proper contact. I did have some black specks on my forearm that day, but nothing hot and nothing of a hindrance. I have come home with a couple of mild black smears on my face, but I am bad about rubbing my face with dirty hands, so in the absence of looking at myself in the mirror after each shot, I cannot say that the blackness was from a venting issue. I am happily impressed!

A further day out was made up of intentionally using a 100 count box of Walmart Federal shells. I wanted to try this after Randy's comment that life improves if you do not shoot those. In my life, there were not even and black particles on my forearm. Gun ran great, and I was super happy. That 100 cost me $19.48!

Don't get me wrong, I love the pretty STS sparkly green shells along with the others, but I cannot afford to live that high on the hog all the time. Also, for my purposes, apparently promo loads work just as well for me as the good stuff. I am glad to see this work horse gun accommodate my lowly station of skill level as well as a Dr. Wakeman - I think this gun will do me just fine till I die!

So, to all of the supporters, and even the naysayers, thank you for your input. Thanks to you all, I was able to make an informed decision that has made my shooting life more fun and enjoyable. I really do appreciate it. Sure, I had to pay $729 for it, but it is so totally worth that. I really wish I had taken the plunge when they were to be had for less, but I also have no regrets, except that I cannot afford another to be able to have one for both my boys.

Also, I think due to the lighter weight and me becoming more comfortable with both eyes open when shooting, this gun seems to "dust" the clays better than my 870 - I crippled more clays with it than I dusted. I have used the factory Mod choke and a Carlson's mod in it to see if there was a difference and I could not tell any. I have yet to pattern it (will do soon!), but it seems to shoot exactly where I am aiming.

So, the parts info, prompted by the well prepared boy scout in me, is that Remington is still open even as of today (9/22) and shipping parts. I have been able to obtain all the springs in the bolt (3), a new firing pin, the bolt carrier cam pin some say can shear off, and a pair of action springs as insurance for a long and beautiful relationship.

I am only about 400 rounds in or so, but I look forward to that being in the tens of thousands. I am glad I did not wait, and I would encourage anyone on the fence to take the plunge while it can be taken.

Thanks for reading and for all the encouragement in the V3 direction as well. May Big Green survive well.

Josh

The mention of the cam pin did recollect some comments. Picked up an extra one myself as a spare. Great to hear you`re in love with your V3. They`re fine field guns IMO. Let`s just hope Remington`s still around, at least in some form, to continue with them and others.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:06 am 
Utility Grade

**9/28/2020 Update**

So, this past Friday, 9/25, I got to bust some clays again with my my V3 and my Wheely Bird automatic skeet launcher in a friend's field.

Ammo: 100 Estate shells, 2.75", 1.125oz, 7.5 shot, 1145fps (Formerly $5.48 at my Walmart, and lately up to $5.74, these were not in the bulk pack if that makes a difference)
And 1 box (25 rounds) of Federal Game Load, 2.75", 1oz, 6 shot, 1290fps ($5.48 at WM, prior to current packaging, still says Game Shock on the shell base pictured on the front; It was an oddball box I picked up when stock was really thin and they had no 7.5 or 8 shot on the shelf...after I bought the other last three boxes of that)

Observations:
The gun - Shoots to point of aim at 40 yards with all three factory chokes. Possibly shoots a bit high - 70/30 at a guess, but I was shooting at a roughly 40" square commode box I had after a recent swap out and putting new cardboard in front of it each time shooting at a center measured black circle supplied by a huge sharpie. My goal was to see if it shot to point of aim, so not a real precise pattern test. And, no, I do not own sand bags. So, seated on my tailgate from a tape measured 40 yards, it was hitting right where I was hoping it would.

Blowback: It happened! However, my world did not end! I still love the gun, and this is no deal breaker. Obviously, I was equipped with more "promo" ammo, at least from what I have read here, I feel like the shells described above, especially at their price point, qualify for that. HOWEVER! It was not from any of the Estate shells as I expected it to be! I have found those to be among the dirtiest in my 870's and I have avoided them due to that and I bought this 100 primarily for this experiment. They were great! I felt nothing at all hit my face, the gun cycled great every time, and I could not tell the performance difference between these and more expensive stuff. I was not expecting that, so a pleasant surprise.

On the Federal's however, I was hit in the face on multiple shots. Not every time, but out of 25, at least 8 shells left a parting gift. It did not hurt, I did not feel any heat, it was not really a problem, but still happened. Two cheap ammo brands/styles, two different results. Makes me wonder how the other 100 will do of these Federals that I have in smaller shot sizes. I may save them for my 870.

Note: I am left handed, so the shells are ejected across my face so to speak. This may have something to do with it, so please bear that in mind.

Also, I have cleaned this gun WAY more often than people act like they may with theirs, so the gun and gas blocks were clean at the start. I interspersed the Federal shells through out the 125 round total, and they did it at every interval, so it is not like the dirtier the gun got the worse it got.

Clays dusted or were missed the same with both brands of shells, I hit 70+%, but that number reflects me and not the shells.

Sorry for the long post, just wanting to add to the body of evidence. I will be shooting again this weekend with a friend if all goes well, and his pockets are deeper than mine, so I am planning to take my 100 of Nitro 27's to match his preferred AA's. Ha! I have shot one box of those before and there was no issue with blowback, and they causes my gun to make two VERY distinct "clink" at the ends of the action/bolt travel, more than any other brand.

Hope you have a great week, thanks for reading.

Josh