ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monte Carlo for V3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

Is there a Monte Carlo stock available that will fit a V3?

Post subject: Re: Monte Carlo for V3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I am going to guess and say no; unless they were made up special because it has not been offered by the factory in that configuration. I have never seen one but that does not mean much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm 
Limited Edition

"Is there a Monte Carlo stock available that will fit a V3?"

I don't believe so. The Remington catalog doesn't show one. Perhaps there is an aftermarket item available, but I haven't seen any. If you are interested in a Monte Carlo I think you'll need to have one made.

If you want the MC to change point of impact are you aware that you can add moleskin to the comb to do that? I've also done this on shotguns and plastic stocked rifles to build comb height after adding a scope. It is not pretty, but it does come off when you want. It will cost about $5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:49 pm 
Field Grade

I'm 6'3" with a long thin face so to have the gun in the right place in my shoulder I seem to need a taller comb. I was thinking of getting the wood stocked gun, shimming the stock down, and having an adjustable comb installed to raise the comb height. Is that the best option?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:35 pm 
Limited Edition

The adjustable comb will give you more height. The metal fixtures will add weight to the butt. Consider the gun’s balance and, if not to your liking, what can be done to even the weight. If it were my decision I’d also weigh the cost of the work to the gun and determine if the V3 is the right platform for the project. It’s not that the V3 is incorrect, but rather is it cost effective.

As an aside, are you having a particular problem shooting the gun? It might be easier to give advice if we know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:59 pm 
Limited Edition

The problem is the the adjustable comb may raise your eye too high above the rib and raise your shot distribution above what you prefer. If you just want to raise the comb up to your high cheek and want to preserve the relationship between the eye and the comb that your gun already has, then what you need is an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad, not an adjustable comb. Often a combination of the two is needed to get things spot on. Also a rib riser could be in order. Adjustable combs are often thought of as do all solutions to fit problems, but they can be only a small fraction of what may need to be done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 am 
Diamond Grade

KevH wrote:
I'm 6'3" with a long thin face so to have the gun in the right place in my shoulder I seem to need a taller comb. I was thinking of getting the wood stocked gun, shimming the stock down, and having an adjustable comb installed to raise the comb height. Is that the best option?

Modifying the synthetic stocks, in my opinion, is easier and cheaper than modifying wood, but you do have to be handy at fabricating. I think you MIGHT run into trouble with a wood stock modified, because it is heavier, and I have had trouble with heavier stocks coming loose at the connection point. The stock bolt is only a 1/4 inch thick and mounts into 1/4 inch of aluminum, therefore cannot be tightened very much without stripping out the aluminum threads. That is why I think heavier stocks tend to shoot loose on the V3, but like I said, it MIGHT. The easiest thing to do is make a new comb out of fiberglass that you can glue on. Unfortunately that requires being knowledgeable at working with fiberglass and doing it. If you are knowledgeable the job takes less than 30 minutes, and costs less than $10. You probably don't want to go this route, but if you do, I can give you some tips on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Wrap a big old wad of foam rubber onto the stock to see if it does what you want before you proceed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:41 am 
Utility Grade

In conjunction with the shims from Remington, a "Shotgunner's Wedge" from God'a Grip may get you the fit you're after.
https://godagrip.com/store/Shotgunners- ... -p43079173

It's taller at the rear than front, so it will make the comb more parallel to the bore, as a Monte Carlo would. It does add a bit of thickness on the sides, but that may work okay for your thin face. If you're careful, it can be peeled off and repositioned.