ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 ejection problem?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:20 am 
Field Grade

I have an opportunity to purchase one of two 20 gauge semiautos for my wife. One being a Browning B80 alloy frame and the other a Remington 1100 both have. 2 3/4" chamber. She liked the feel of the 1100 best, so I was able to take it out and have her shoot a handful of shells. All we had available were about 16 rounds of Kent steel #7 dove rounds 7/8 load. The 1100 had a plug in it, so I loaded her up with two in the magazine and one chambered. After the first two rounds the third shell was getting hung up about half way out of the magazine tube. Luckily, the seller had a replacement magazine spring and that seemed to solve that problem (at least with the remainder of shells we had). Then I noticed that the spent shells were only being ejected no more that 2' away from her. Sorry about the long versed presentation, but my main question is: is there need for concern regarding the distance of the ejected shell, or is it because the shells we used were such a light load? The seller said, he had shot maybe 2500-3500 shells out of it and has changed out the o rings and magazine spring while he's owned it, but never changed the action spring.

Any suggestions?

Thanks you

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 ejection problem?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As long as it is ejecting I don't worry about it much. I would check the gas ports and give any new to me gun a thorough cleaning and lube. Look for crud in the action spring tube.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steel loads work at a lower peak pressure than lead. Try some lead target loads for a better test of the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:11 pm 
Field Grade

DanG wrote:
Steel loads work at a lower peak pressure than lead. Try some lead target loads for a better test of the gun.

Good to know, I will give that a try when I see him again next weekend.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I own five Remington 1100s in different models (I know, my wife asks me why also!). They all cycle flawlessly but I don’t use cheap promotional loads that tend to gag numerous S/As. Some target models have larger gas ports and are more tolerant of light loads. Stick with quality ammunition and an 1100 will serve your wife well. My wife can attest to that. Good luck.