ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ID and Date Remington 870 30 In Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:45 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Folks, Please forgive me as I'm 'very-much' computer challenged.

An Ebay listing 313232835858 is for an Remington 870. Clearly, it's a 30", fixed full-choke, vent rib with a mid-bead and a white front bead (if you look closely at the 2nd pic, the front bead appears to be the Bradly type), and chambered for 2 3/4 shells.

Seller states that this barrel has a dull finish and maybe was originally for the 'sportsman' model.

What is 'throwing-me' is (look at the 3rd pic), the marking '12 GA for 2 3/4 or shorter shells'. this role mark seems different than my old 1970's 870 or newer ones chambered for 2 3/4 shell only.

My research so far has led me to that Remington sold a 'Sportsman 12' in the mid 80's as a
precursor to the Express series and this is a barrel from this series. But I'm wondering if it could be from a older model.

Odds that the bore is chromed-lined?

My interest in this barrel is that once the surface rust is addressed, it would match close enough my 870 Express as an informal and beginner (very!!!) trap barrel. My old eyes need the vent rib with the white Bradly and mid-bead.

Thank for any and all help.

Fred

Post subject: Re: ID and Date Remington 870 30 In Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:59 am 
Limited Edition

Link here to a way you can date the barrel, note that this is not perfect, I've seen exceptions and barrels with no date code at all. I am not aware of any 870 barrels that were chrome lined, but the real experts here may know better. The one on ebay looks pretty rough, I would not get carried away trying to win it but expect it will shoot trap just fine.

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/#:~:text=Remingtons%20manufactured%20after%201921%20have%20a%20code%20located,for%20example%20B%3DJanuary%2C%20L%3D%20February%20and%20so%20on%3A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:45 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks toptechX6, Yea, I can deal with surface rust, steel wool, a thin oil, and careful patience. My brother has gotten very good results with a cold blue (don't know which) solution that gives a darker, duller finish.

My Express with it's original 28" has just a too heavily contoured barrel for me. I assuming that this barrel has the older, lighter contour (based on having a fixed full choke and 2 3/4 only chambering.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrel should work fine for you. No Remington 870 barrels were chrome lined. I cannot find any 2-3/4" 870 barrels with a dull or matte finish and/or a Bradley style front and mid bead. All of the Special Purpose and Sportsman pumps had 3" chambers, and all 2-3/4" were gone before the Express arrived. I do not believe that barrel was originally a matte finish, but polished blue. It should definitely be lighter than your RemChoked Express barrel. I can see it but I can't read it in the pics; ask them what the date code is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Virginian, a refinished barrel makes sense.

Found out what was bothering me about the '12 GA for 2 3/4 or shorter shell'. An '5 point star' should be in front of the '12 GA ........'

Sure wish I could more and clearly pics................Buyer Beware......

I'm currently on page 117 of the Remington Shotguns sub-forum and learning a lot.

edit......nevermind my comment about the '5 point star' in front of the '12 GA for 2 3/4......'. Just found out that the 'star' signifies a change in the chamber mouth (shell rim angle from 45 deg to 55 deg). found this on page 135...

I'm back to that this is an older barrel that has been refinished.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Very early barrel can tell by the long solid part of the rib by the receiver and I believe the early barrels were blue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks papillonkirby. Being an early barrel makes me think that the Bradly front bead and mid beads are not original to this barrel.