ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remington Wingmaster Prices Going Nuts!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Pay attention to quality ( QC ) and maintain excellent customer service. It`s amazing what that will do in both retaining and regaining market share.

:B3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm 
Limited Edition

In 2017 and 2013 I bought 4 Wingmasters (and a 31) between 100 and 200 bucks each. I bought two about 2 years ago for $250 for both out the door. They were clearly used, but all work well and are in decent shape for 40+ yr old guns.

I've seen a couple on used racks since lockdown ended, but now they're starting around $400.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Win50 wrote:
In 2017 and 2013 I bought 4 Wingmasters (and a 31) between 100 and 200 bucks each. I bought two about 2 years ago for $250 for both out the door. They were clearly used, but all work well and are in decent shape for 40+ yr old guns.

I've seen a couple on used racks since lockdown ended, but now they're starting around $400.

Got my 870 Express, great shape and faultless performance, a couple of years ago in a Gunbroker auction for $250. Glad I got it then!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:09 pm 
Field Grade

I've got a 2019 Express myself for 125 last year. Talk about good timing.

As for the comments about quality, I'd take less-expensive Remington products any day of the week over a lot of other companies' cheaper products. Not gonna bash brands here but y'all know what I mean. Remington's quality is not NEARLY as bad as some people think it is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am 
Utility Grade

Here’s exactly how I ended up getting my 870 :lol:

—-

I’ve just recently rekindled interest in shotguns; With all the anti-gun sentiment building for anything but the most traditional types of firearms, you kind of get forced in that direction...

In 1982 I was a freshman in college and very much interested in getting into shooting sports. I went down to my local gun store and took the advice I got from an uncle, “If you go to a gun store, talk to the oldest, meanest, orneriest, grey-haired guy behind the counter.”

So I did.

Old sales guy, “What?”

Me, “Shotgun”

Old sales guy, “what’er you gonna use it for?”

Me, “To keep for a very long time”

He gave me another sneer, but also what I think was a wry smile, subtly, in the corner of his mouth, as if my answer had in some small way passed muster.

He turned his back and walked away from me, winding his way thru the other salesmen while stopping for a minute to say something to another customer who had hailed him in passing.

At this point I thought I’d offended him in some way, and just stood there sheepishly, simultaneously cursing my uncle under my breath and waiting for another salesman to notice me.

While I was looking down absentmindedly into the glass cabinets at revolvers, like a nerd at the school dance trying to look interested in a wall fixture, there was a *clunk* on the countertop that startled me.

The old guy had returned with a brown and green box, and was proceeding to slowly open it.

Me, “What is it?”, I offered up innocently.

Old sales guy, “870 Wingmaster. This is what you want”

I toyed with the idea of asking him how the heck he knew what I wanted, but I thought better of it and kept silent as he unpacked the weapon and assembled it like he knew how to do it in his sleep.

He check/cleared the gun and then handed it to me. I mounted it, worked the action a few times, and handed it back to him.

I asked in an offhand way why he went to get one in the back when there was clearly one on the rack behind him that I could have looked at.

“Because I know you’re going to get it, and I don’t like wasting time”, his sneer returned.

The Remington 870 Magnum Wingmaster was on sale for $189. I bought it; Thinking it was way too much.

The paperwork went slowly, but efficiently, and he had this odd way of licking his fingers twice to turn pages, but eventually, I was walking out with my new shotgun.

As I was opening the door, I heard him yell out while he was helping someone else, “Hey! David!”

“Yes?”, I turned to face him, with his tone, thinking he was going to in some way criticize me as a last, passing gesture...

“Thank you!”

—-

He was the nicest, mean person I’ve ever met, and I ended up thanking my Uncle for his advice, and given what they are valued at now, my lucky stars that I didn’t pass on it in ‘82.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe I need to think about selling my 410. 870 wing master with a vent rib skeet barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

dho112 wrote:
Here’s exactly how I ended up getting my 870 :lol:

—-

I’ve just recently rekindled interest in shotguns; With all the anti-gun sentiment building for anything but the most traditional types of firearms, you kind of get forced in that direction...

In 1982 I was a freshman in college and very much interested in getting into shooting sports. I went down to my local gun store and took the advice I got from an uncle, “If you go to a gun store, talk to the oldest, meanest, orneriest, grey-haired guy behind the counter.”

So I did.

Old sales guy, “What?”

Me, “Shotgun”

Old sales guy, “what’er you gonna use it for?”

Me, “To keep for a very long time”

He gave me another sneer, but also what I think was a wry smile, subtly, in the corner of his mouth, as if my answer had in some small way passed muster.

He turned his back and walked away from me, winding his way thru the other salesmen while stopping for a minute to say something to another customer who had hailed him in passing.

At this point I thought I’d offended him in some way, and just stood there sheepishly, simultaneously cursing my uncle under my breath and waiting for another salesman to notice me.

While I was looking down absentmindedly into the glass cabinets at revolvers, like a nerd at the school dance trying to look interested in a wall fixture, there was a *clunk* on the countertop that startled me.

The old guy had returned with a brown and green box, and was proceeding to slowly open it.

Me, “What is it?”, I offered up innocently.

Old sales guy, “870 Wingmaster. This is what you want”

I toyed with the idea of asking him how the heck he knew what I wanted, but I thought better of it and kept silent as he unpacked the weapon and assembled it like he knew how to do it in his sleep.

He check/cleared the gun and then handed it to me. I mounted it, worked the action a few times, and handed it back to him.

I asked in an offhand way why he went to get one in the back when there was clearly one on the rack behind him that I could have looked at.

“Because I know you’re going to get it, and I don’t like wasting time”, his sneer returned.

The Remington 870 Magnum Wingmaster was on sale for $189. I bought it; Thinking it was way too much.

The paperwork went slowly, but efficiently, and he had this odd way of licking his fingers twice to turn pages, but eventually, I was walking out with my new shotgun.

As I was opening the door, I heard him yell out while he was helping someone else, “Hey! David!”

“Yes?”, I turned to face him, with his tone, thinking he was going to in some way criticize me as a last, passing gesture...

“Thank you!”

—-

He was the nicest, mean person I’ve ever met, and I ended up thanking my Uncle for his advice, and given what they are valued at now, my lucky stars that I didn’t pass on it in ‘82.

While I hold out hope that Remington guns will someday be manufactured again, I would not at all be surprised to see anything with " Remington " stamped on it appreciate rather significantly in value.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why would you have that opinion when it hasn’t happed with Winchester guns. Run of the mill Winchester rifles and shotguns are neither collectible or expensive. I can buy used field grade Model 12s all day long for under $500 until my barn gets full. Do you realize that over 11,000,000 870s were built? They are hardly scarce and will never be in the foreseeable future.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

It would be short term appreciation, similar to he Winchester 94’s after they went under.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
It would be short term appreciation, similar to he Winchester 94’s after they went under.

In all likelihood, that`s true. There are so many. I didn`t necessarily mean to infer that the appreciation of 870s, 1100s, etc., etc. would last forever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 am 
Field Grade

I don’t trust Gunbroker as a true gauge of what guns are selling for.
I can buy Any gun I want for a somewhere else for a Lot less than I can buy it on Gunbroker.
Looking through newspapers,shopping around online,calling old friends to see if they have or know of anyone who has what I am looking for,going to Pawnshops etc.Oh I may go to gunbroker occasionally just to browse looking for a good deal but inevitably that is just a w
That is just a waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 am 
Limited Edition

southdakbearfan wrote:

I dunno if I agree with that statement I own a Winchester Model 94/22 and a Winchester Model 94 Trails End in .44mag. Both go for in excess of $1000 now if you can find them. I bought the 94/22 for $250 in 1993 and traded a used Marlin Camp Carbine for the .44mag new in 1996. I'd say they've appreciated since then.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:48 am 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

I dunno if I agree with that statement I own a Winchester Model 94/22 and a Winchester Model 94 Trails End in .44mag. Both go for in excess of $1000 now if you can find them. I bought the 94/22 for $250 in 1993 and traded a used Marlin Camp Carbine for the .44mag new in 1996. I'd say they've appreciated since then.

tp

Unfortunately, with each passing day, it looks more and more likely that we’ll have the opportunity to find out just how much a no longer manufactured 870 and 1100 will appreciate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

TBH I agree with some who have previously posted.

The 870 and 1100 are the most produced shotguns ever made, ever.

They will continue to be available after this crazy year and all the panic buying for various reasons is over. And the prices will go back down just like they did with Winchesters. People are in an emotional state right now and so they are buying everything at absolutely bonkers prices because of 'fear of missing out.'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:
these I linked have active bids on them.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879500128

Did you notice this is a left hand model? The common wisdom is
that you left hand shooters should use right hand guns because there
is no market for left hand guns, with 90% of people being right handed.

I am here to tell the left hand shooters the real story.

I shot left handed exclusively for a number of years, maybe
as much as 5 years straight. What I observed is that left hand
guns sell BETTER than right hand models. This is because most
left hand shooters put up with right hand guns because the
alternative is not available. But if you have a left hand model
and advertise on gunbroker.com you get top dollar.

The left hand guns do have fewer buyers, maybe only 1/10th
as many. BUT left hand buyers only have 1/1000th as many
left hand guns for sale. It makes for a perfect sellers market
if he has left hand guns.