ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is your favorite Model 1100?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own quite a few Model 1100s and shoot most them occasionally and a few of them a lot. I am a skeet shooter so that narrows it down quite a bit, but I have one gun that I really really like and just seems to make me look like a better shooter than I really am. It's probably my favorite of all that I own. And I am talking about my Standard Weight 20 ga with a fixed "skeet" choked made sometime in the 1970s. There is nothing special about the gun other than the fact that it is in terrific condition, but that gun is just magic in my hands. I shot 75 straight with it yesterday then gave it a kiss. I am a little concerned that parts are getting hard to come by so I laid in a couple of spare shell latches and I was lucky enough to come across a NOS fore end which I picked up for $30 in case mine ever breaks. Now, that I have a spare, it will never break!

My second favorite is an early 1980s 28 ga SKEET-T or also known as a "Tournament Skeet". It came with the magazine and shock weights installed. It is also a terrific skeet bird killer and the recoil is almost non existent.

What is your favorite 1100?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite Model 1100?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 12 gauge w/ 28" plain barrel, modified choke manufactured in the 1964-1968 range. I should shoot it more because it's the one that I shoot best in the field, but my shotgun addiction causes me to switch guns a lot.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 am 
Field Grade

For me, its the 1100 Classic Trap. Mainly because its the first 1100 I've ever bought!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't still own it, sadly, but my hands-down favorite was the Competition. I can't say I was enamored of the look of the black, carbon-fiber stock, but the adjustable comb, Bumpbuster, and adjustable butt plate were more than enough to overcome that fault. Plus, with the Pro-bore barrel it was the softest recoiling 1100 I've ever shot. I sold it to buddy because I knew he would shoot it much more than I was going to and that gun deserved to be shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:05 pm 
Field Grade

It was my 20ga Special Field until I gave it to my son. :) :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Plain field model from the late 60’s which
Was my grandfather’s. Amazing wood on
A hunting gun and 2 3/4 inch 28 inch barrel best balanced of all

Cast your nests in deeper water.

Why would somebody from the Philippines buy a Japanese car?

"Just because he is white don't mean he is dumb" Fred Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Highstandardguy wrote:
It was my 20ga Special Field until I gave it to my son. :) :(

Ditto - except my son liked his 11-87 better.

I'm an upland hunter, he isn't...….

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

1100 Standard 20 gauge, Cutts compensator, Timney steel trigger plate, 5/8 oz reloads. Kills recreational targets and functions extremely well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1963 standard field model with a 28" vent rib barrel and a 26" Skeet barrel. The gun that took me from local joke to league high average. I like the style of the rollmarking and the checkering - not so busy. Looks and dimensions same as a Skeet model. Mine has been in several configurations and has shot about everything from backyard clays to Manitoba geese with 3" Magnums.
A close second would be my 1978 LT-20 Magnum - same checkering and rollmarking style. Have 3 barrels for it and also a straight grip stock set.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I still have my Special Field exactly like the one in the picture; short barrel and all. I bought it new in 1993.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like my G3, which is actually an 11-87. My kids like the 28-gauge Skeet-T with shortened stock. I am fond of a 1970 20-gauge LW that came with plain mahogany stocks which I swapped for a fancy set to make it pretty. Also a 1964 16-gauge. Heck, there's no 1100 I don't favor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

It’s very hard to pick a favorite 1100 among the roughly 25 that I have owned in all five gauges. Like casonet, I had a lot of fun on the skeet field with my early 70s standard weight 20 gauge SB Skeet. And I shot a lot of wild quail and wood ducks with a 16 gauge. But if I had to narrow it down, I’d probably say I’ve had the most fun with my 28 and 410 Skeet guns that have been upgraded with clays barrels and nicer wood. They’ve accounted for a lot of doves, quail, pigeons, and clays. Actually all My 1100s are favorites for one reason or another. I’m grateful to have had so many nice 1100s to enjoy on the field and in the field.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Oh shoot.... Mmm... a 1977 1100 12ga. field started out with a 28" mod vent rib barrel then on to a 28" vent rib with screw in chokes. That was my dove hunting buddy until a 1100 Lt20 with 28" vent rib & screw in chokes got into my hands. Dog gone... that 1100 410 sporting sure is sweet too.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"