ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 bolt buffer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 pm 
Limited Edition

How does one know when the bolt buffer on an 1100 needs to be replaced?

I recently acquired a used 1100, the buffer is present and doesn't appear cracked or missing any pieces, but is pretty firm (which might be normal) and nearly flush with the back of the bolt.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1100 bolt buffer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That’s normal. I replaced mine some time back and with less than a box of shells it looked exactly like the one that I took out.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm 
Field Grade

From what people have told me, you should replace it when it starts to appear cracked or worn. However, one of the stickied threads on this sub-forums states that:

Quote:
"1. Change the action spring in the stock every 10,000 rds
(some say 5,000, but I've been getting 20-25 yrs of service life
going every 10,000) This is far more important than changing the buffer disc at the back of the bolt and prevents bolt to receiver impact (from the spring tension offering resistance
against the bolt's reward travel) A new action spring is 15" long from the factory before it is installed and compressed. 14-1/2" means - it's time to replace."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
That’s normal. I replaced mine some time back and with less than a box of shells it looked exactly like the one that I took out.

I did that in 1967, and saw the same thing. 52 years later it's still hanging in there. One would have thought being owned by DuPont Remington would have gotten the very best in polymers, but the quality of the buffers varied greatly over the years. The early white ones and the newer black ones seem about as good as it gets. BUT, all the bad ones were either black or white, too. :) If it is cracked or chipped; replace it. If you are getting any metal to metal contact at the upper rear receiver area; replace it.
I never joined the spring changers guild either. 57 years and over 115,000 rounds and no issues. The bolt buffer is supposed to hit; just not too hard.
I can't count the number of 1100s I have worked on with issues after someone installed an "upgraded" action spring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I've got a couple older Remington 1100s that I shoot a lot. I've only had one bolt buffer crack and break while shooting. When using them for events like Sporting Clays, 5-Stand or Trap, I carry a spare bolt. It's a better investment than swapping out a buffer for the heck of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mtm2525 wrote:
I've got a couple older Remington 1100s that I shoot a lot. I've only had one bolt buffer crack and break while shooting. When using them for events like Sporting Clays, 5-Stand or Trap, I carry a spare bolt. It's a better investment than swapping out a buffer for the heck of it.

Not a bad idea, and you're also covered if you break a firing pin, or firing pin spring, or extractor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:22 am 
Limited Edition

mtm2525 wrote:

That is a good idea - might be time to look around and see what I can find.

Thanks