ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: How can Remington survive?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks Randy, I know one more thing than I did yesterday! Proves you`re never too old to learn.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:35 am 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
With Remington’s passing, I suppose the American firearms industry, well, at least shotguns , is essentially no more? The Turks and Italians essentially own it , almost exclusively from here on out. I guess Ithaca is pretty much it?

Well, the Japanese do all right in the manufacture of shotguns. Miroku-built Brownings being the big boy on the block in the U.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Litespeed wrote:
Well, the Japanese do all right in the manufacture of shotguns. Miroku-built Brownings being the big boy on the block in the U.S.

You must be joking. The vast majority of "Browning" and "Winchester" shotguns are made in Portugal or Turkey. BPS pumps are being discontinued faster than Browning can announce it. If you want to call Miroku 'the Japanese' have at it. Who else is left?

By the numbers, as far as U.S. production, (last year available data -- 2018) the largest single entity of shotgun production in the United States is family-owned Mossberg, notching 249,183 shotguns made in 2018 from Eagle Pass. No one else is remotely close.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

Litespeed wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
With Remington’s passing, I suppose the American firearms industry, well, at least shotguns , is essentially no more? The Turks and Italians essentially own it , almost exclusively from here on out. I guess Ithaca is pretty much it?

While I know Randy`s correct about Savage, Henry, TC, etc., I was thinking more of the more " common " guns in the field or on the clay range. It would be interesting to know the most common gun brands in dove fields, duck blinds, skeet ranges, pheasant and quail covers, etc. , etc., etc. Winchester, the B guns, Remingtons, Mossbergs, I`d bet those are a large chunk. The Turkish guns more and more?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Litespeed wrote:

You must be joking. The vast majority of "Browning" and "Winchester" shotguns are made in Portugal or Turkey. BPS pumps are being discontinued faster than Browning can announce it. If you want to call Miroku 'the Japanese' have at it. Who else is left?

By the numbers, as far as U.S. production, (last year available data -- 2018) the largest single entity of shotgun production in the United States is family-owned Mossberg, notching 249,183 shotguns made in 2018 from Eagle Pass. No one else is remotely close.

Belgian Brownings are often assembled in Portugal. The others are still made by Miroku in Japan

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

I happened to find this video, this morning.

IF the information it contains is accurate, things do not sound too encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ABLNaI5DY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Claydust wrote:

IF the information it contains is accurate, things do not sound too encouraging.

Not new news and has certainly contributed to the air of extreme pessimism surrounding Remington`s future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Claydust wrote:

Not new news and has certainly contributed to the air of extreme pessimism surrounding Remington`s future.

I have put Remington in the same category as High Standard, Iver Johnson, et al. Defunct and gone forever.

It would be great to see someone who can supply bolt and trigger group related parts for the V3 as it gets longer in the tooth. So far, no supplier has any quantity of bolt group related parts.

Who knows if they will be needed but now that there is no support it would seem to be a potential weakness in that gun. Too bad as it is a favorite of mine.

I have no idea how many were produced and sold but it must be a sizeable number.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:35 pm 
Field Grade

I'm approaching this conversation as an 870 and 1100 owner. I know for a fact that if someone can work on an old semiauto like an auto 5 or 11-48, they can absolutely work on an 870 or 1100. They are the two most mass-produced repeating shotguns ever made. Any gunsmith who knows anything about what they're doing will have lots of parts available.

I think the lack of availability we see right now has to do with the fact that people are starting to realize that Remington has in fact gone the way of Hi Standard, H&R, etc (which is to say production has ceased and will likely never resume again). However who knows what'll happen in the future for availability. This is the perfect year for panic buying after all, it seems, for everything...

The V3 will be an interesting question. I have no idea how many have been produced, but I would imagine parts would be available still.

The way I see it is this - if you can still find parts for older guns, and find people who will work on them, our investments are safe. The only thing is you don't have a warranty anymore obviously, but as someone who used to work in retail sales, warranties are something that, as a buyer, I tend to view as a backup parachute rather than the primary.

My $0.02, including inflation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

A fresh story with an update from Roundhill:
https://www.wktv.com/content/news/More- ... 92021.html

The gist is, the FFL is in the works, and in the meanwhile restarting production is in a holding pattern.

I'm still not willing to wager on the outcome. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:34 pm 
Crown Grade

F*W*F wrote:
A fresh story with an update from Roundhill:
https://www.wktv.com/content/news/More- ... 92021.html

The gist is, the FFL is in the works, and in the meanwhile restarting production is in a holding pattern.

I'm still not willing to wager on the outcome. Time will tell.

Nor am I. And time will indeed tell. i`ve personally thought all along that it`s in all likelihood sometime in the first calendar quarter of `21 or most likely not at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The chief at "Roundhill" bought Remington Firearms on October 1 (Thursday, October 1, 2020 Roundhill Group LLC Purchases Remington Firearms) and suddenly his paintball empire went belly-up ABOUT TWO WEEKS LATER with $29 million in debt they have "no ability to repay."

(WUTR-TV) — Richmond Italia is the new owner of the Remington Arms plant in Ilion. Italia spoke with WUTR-VV about re-opening Remington: “We’re not talking, we’re not shutting down for six months,” said Italia. “We’re talking weeks to a maximum a couple of months. Maximum.”

It is incredibly stupid to say "weeks to a maximum a couple of months." It was a blatant lie, for it takes 3 months just to get an FFL manufacturing license. The maximum, maximum couple of months has already expired with zero progress.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

So why did they bother to spend the $13 million if they had no intent of starting up production again? Seems like a waste of $13 million

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The assets that they bought were worth more than $13M. If , and that’s a big if, they do decide to go back into production they will have to Pay Vista Outdoors a royalty if they want to put the Remington name on anything that they make

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Old factories and high taxes, coupled with union labor and an anti-gun state government - why would anyone even bother to try in NYS?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
So why did they bother to spend the $13 million if they had no intent of starting up production again? Seems like a waste of $13 million

I tend to agree. The ONLY option we have is to just sit and wait. Hopefully the facilities will be used in the future to produce quality guns.

Personally I am down to just a single 870, and a single V3, each with walnut furniture. If the V3 is produced in the future I have plans on purchasing two specific models. One to be used as a loaner gun. I already have a spare buttstock with an LOP adjuster installed. I can adjust the LOP in 1/2" increments from 12 1/4" to 14 1/4". The other would be the V3 Competition Tactical.

If the company does not rise like a phoenix from its present state, there is always the used market. A 26" walnut gun should not be that hard to locate, but the Competition Tactical is a bit of a rare bird. Unfortunately even if the two guns were available today I just don't have the money to make either purchase so for me the wait just might work to my advantage.

I have time and I am patient so for now I just sit and wait.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for the Phoenix bird

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oneounceload wrote:

Of whose $13 million? Spending other people's money is rarely a bother. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

This is the latest.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Remin ... 49811.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Labor strife is rarely good for either side. All of that aside at least it looks like Roundhill is serious about starting back up, albeit slowly. I take that as a positive.

Form what I understand about the situation that Roundhill bought starting slowly is about their only option. You can't make guns without raw materials and supplies. Roundhill has a deep hole to dig themselves out of.

When Vista purchased the ammo business they already had resources that they could divert to Remington facilities, they also had supply chains that they could work with to increase the volume of new materials needed to support the new manufacturing capacity. Similarly, Ruger is in a better position to get Marlin back on track. Roundhill, knowingly, got the sh*t end of the stick with the former Remington firearms assets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next