It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 12 Gauge 11-48
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:00 pm 
Field Grade

Hi
First post here
I am 60 Years old and have had a lot of guns in my life but Never a 11-48

I recently picked one up in a local Pawnshop for $275.00 out the door,hope I did not pay way to much for it, seems like it is in good shape with a 24 inch Plain Barrel 12 gauge Full choke 2 3/4.

I Haven't shot it yet just took it apart and cleaned the inside and took the Magazine plug out and cycled it with no problems.

I just like older guns

Thinking about seeing if I can find a shorter barrel for it or a longer barrel that I can cut off myself for about a 20 inch barrel.
Anybody got one cheap that I could cut off. ?
I dont care if the barrels has scratches or any bluing Left ,Just cheap.

Also thinking about putting a 3 rd 870 Choate Magazine extension on it if I can find a barrel to cut off or If not And I
Keep the 24 Barrel Maybe a 4 round extension.

Will the 4 shot extension be alright on the 24 inch barrel or would I be better off to stick with no more than the 3 shot extension ?

Just going to keep it loaded with Winchester Super X 00 Buckshot ,next to my bed for Home defense.

Post subject: Re: Remington 12 Gauge 11-48
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Keep in mind that you will not be able to use a barrel band support for the extension.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the 11-48. I currently own four of them: a 12 gauge with 28" vent rib/Mod barrel, a 12 gauge with a factory 20" barrel, a 20 gauge skeet gun and a 28 gauge skeet. I don't shoot them often, but I like them.

My 20" gun was supposedly a former cop gun, and it bears scars that looks like it rode in a patrol car rack. It's a really fun gun. I briefly set that gun up with a magazine extension, but what I found was the thread on the end of the mag tube was longer than an 870 thread so a spacer or washer was necessary to get the mag extension to tighten up. Because washer kept the extension from locking up with the little ball bearing on the barrel ring, the extension wanted to loosen up when you fired the gun. There's probably some solution to that problem, but I didn't figure it out . . . maybe some kind of wavy washer would do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 pm 
Field Grade

Virginian wrote:
Keep in mind that you will not be able to use a barrel band support for the extension.

True
One of the reasons why I am sticking with one of the shorter extensions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 pm 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
I like the 11-48. I currently own four of them: a 12 gauge with 28" vent rib/Mod barrel, a 12 gauge with a factory 20" barrel, a 20 gauge skeet gun and a 28 gauge skeet. I don't shoot them often, but I like them.

My 20" gun was supposedly a former cop gun, and it bears scars that looks like it rode in a patrol car rack. It's a really fun gun. I briefly set that gun up with a magazine extension, but what I found was the thread on the end of the mag tube was longer than an 870 thread so a spacer or washer was necessary to get the mag extension to tighten up. Because washer kept the extension from locking up with the little ball bearing on the barrel ring, the extension wanted to loosen up when you fired the gun. There's probably some solution to that problem, but I didn't figure it out . . . maybe some kind of wavy washer would do the trick.

Nice collection

If you happen to finf another 20 Inch factory barrel I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

The Wavy washer idea might work

How Many times can you shoot it as is before the extension will not work due to being to loose ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bcraig wrote:
If you happen to finf another 20 Inch factory barrel I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

I'm not really looking for 11-48 barrels these days, but if I happen to stumble across one, I'll keep you in mind. My advice would be to set up a search on ebay so that you'll get an email whenever anyone lists an 11-48 barrel.

BTW, the 20" barrel has a base under the sight bead. If you chop down a barrel, you'll likely have to screw the new bead directly into the barrel . . . . not as nice of a set-up.

bcraig wrote:
How Many times can you shoot it as is before the extension will not work due to being to loose ?

I couldn't make it through more than a couple rounds of skeet without having to reach up and snug the mag extension.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
bcraig wrote:

I'm not really looking for 11-48 barrels these days, but if I happen to stumble across one, I'll keep you in mind. My advice would be to set up a search on ebay so that you'll get an email whenever anyone lists an 11-48 barrel.

BTW, the 20" barrel has a base under the sight bead. If you chop down a barrel, you'll likely have to screw the new bead directly into the barrel . . . . not as nice of a set-up.

bcraig wrote:

I couldn't make it through more than a couple rounds of skeet without having to reach up and snug the mag extension.

So just to set it up and and use as a Home defense shotgun there should be no problem with it getting loose.

That is Valuable information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bcraig wrote:

So just to set it up and and use as a Home defense shotgun there should be no problem with it getting loose.

Yeah, I think it would be fine parked behind a door.

Honestly, I didn't try many things to address the issue. It's possible some Teflon pipe tape or something similar would do the trick. Or, it's possible you won't experience any issues with your particular gun.

For that matter, I think I'd be inclined to just use your 24-inch barrel. There's nothing that precludes your current gun being a dandy home defense shotgun just the way it sits . . . (well, I'm not wild about the full choke, but that can be opened) . . . those extra 4 inches aren't going to keep you from thwarting a burglar or putting a quick end to a zombie invasion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
bcraig wrote:

Yeah, I think it would be fine parked behind a door.

Honestly, I didn't try many things to address the issue. It's possible some Teflon pipe tape or something similar would do the trick. Or, it's possible you won't experience any issues with your particular gun.

For that matter, I think I'd be inclined to just use your 24-inch barrel. There's nothing that precludes your current gun being a dandy home defense shotgun just the way it sits . . . (well, I'm not wild about the full choke, but that can be opened) . . . those extra 4 inches aren't going to keep you from thwarting a burglar or putting a quick end to a zombie invasion.

Yes I could just use it as is or even just take a Hacksaw to the original barrel but would rather keep it original and Just buy a shorter barrel or Hack off an extra Barrel.
Tell the truth of the matter I really did Not NEED the Shotgun when I bought it but you know how that goes ,Need versus Want !! 8)

I am just a bored old Man who like to tinker around with guns

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:02 pm 
Limited Edition

If I were you...

I might just cut the short, full choke barrel you have and watch ebay for a longer barrel to come by. 1148 barrels aren't as plentiful as some other shotguns, and cutting down a 26 or 28 inch modified would seem like a terrible waste.

either that, or get a smith to ream it out to something more useful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

Win50 wrote:
If I were you...

I might just cut the short, full choke barrel you have and watch ebay for a longer barrel to come by. 1148 barrels aren't as plentiful as some other shotguns, and cutting down a 26 or 28 inch modified would seem like a terrible waste.

either that, or get a smith to ream it out to something more useful.

Cutting the original barrel would work too.
I have been thinking and as mentioned before a 24 inch barrel would not hamper the ability to be used in a home too much.

As far as choke goes at those close ranges I don't think it would really make a huge difference and the Buckshot could be chosen that would open up faster .

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o- ... -buckshot/

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o- ... -part-two/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

11-48 barrels tend to be pricey.

I had two identical 28" full choked barrels for my 16 ga, so I sent one to Mike Orlean, had him cut it to 26" and thread it for choke tubes.

He did reset the ramp and bead so it looks factory again, and I just got an Imp Cyl tube for it since I have 28" barrels in Full and Mod.

That said, I sent it to him in the white, so not sure if he could reset that ramp without messing up the finish. This one is going to get a rust blue at some point when I get time.