ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me out with this trap barrel please.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I ended up getting the LH 11-87 trap shotgun and it is in super shape, nary a mark on it. I have a couple questions I want to get straight in my head before I give it to our son for Christmas.

Post: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=520728

Barrel code of WK which seems to be August of 1990.

It has a Trico Jack West stock.

Here’s the 11-87 with its cousin:

url=https://ibb.co/b1QHtD6]Image[/url]

It has this wavy washer under the magazine cap. Someone slip this on as a lock washer ?

It has a gas ring but no spring. Spring missing ? If I get an 11-87 field barrel should I get a spring for it ? I assume an 1100 forearm would need to be reamed to fit.

Step rib barrel marked “Target”.

Two gas ports:

Is this tube marked specifically for this barrel ? Is this the special 11-87 trap tube not to be confused with the regular tubes, although they will fit but the markings will not be right ?

I’m far from a machinist but my measurements of the choke restrictions are :

.016 from cylinder then a small stretch back to cylinder then another .012.

There is a very smooth transition from cylinder to choke back to cylinder then back to choke, no ridges.

Is that the way it’s made ? I’m assuming it came with tubes and no one threaded it.

Thanks for any advice or observations. Please correct me if i’m wrong on anything.

Post subject: Re: Help me out with this trap barrel please.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

McFarmer wrote:
It has this wavy washer under the magazine cap. Someone slip this on as a lock washer ? Yes.

It has a gas ring but no spring. Spring missing ?
It is a non compensated target barrel; no relief ports and no spring.
If I get an 11-87 field barrel should I get a spring for it ? I assume an 1100 forearm would need to be reamed to fit. Yes and yes.

Is this tube marked specifically for this barrel ? Is this the special 11-87 trap tube not to be confused with the regular tubes, although they will fit but the markings will not be right ?
Yes and yes.

Is that the way it’s made ? I’m assuming it came with tubes and no one threaded it.
Yes, correct.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

That’s an odd choke arrangement. Cylinder, choke, back to cylinder then choke again.

Wasn’t someone peddling a choke on these pages that did much the same thing ? From Italy if I remember, couldn’t find the thread.

Thanks Virginian for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you get a field barrel it will come with the spring on it already.

Basically those overbored trap barrels have about .015 of choke built in.
You can use standard Rem Chokes. That choke pictured is likely a regular cylinder or skeet choke, but will be mod in that barrel. They came originally with tubes marked Trap Full, Extra Full and Super Full.
At $585 I would say that is a pretty good deal.
1 1/8 oz max. in the target barrels.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Trap Extra full choke tube that I don't need. It mic's approximately .708