ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrier spring 11-87
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I hate to be a pest but I tried out the 11-87 I recently acquired. Shoots wonderful but won’t load the second shell.

After having done some research here, wonderful resource by the way, I looked at the magazine spring, tube, follower and carrier latch. All were clean and smooth. Whoever had this gun either cleaned it very well before parting with it or didn’t shoot it.

Anyway the following photos show what I believe is the problem:

So, if I read my manual correctly the carrier latch spring is getting in the way of the shell tripping the latch.

My question is, did they bend it getting that release button installed or is it maybe upside down ? Anything I’ve seen doesn’t show the top of the spring being that long, I’m thinking it’s upside down, looks like it would be difficult to bend it in place.

How to proceed ? I’m far from a gun smith but I know enough to stay way from driving out pins holding springs.

The latch functions fine with the button, plenty of tension, the incoming shell just doesn’t trip it.

Thanks once again.

Post subject: Re: Carrier spring 11-87
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe I’ve found the answer, at least in part:

So, do I just bend it out of the way ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What the...?? I have never seen a spring like that on a Model 1100/11-87 that I can recall. Maybe the scale is throwing me. What is it supposed to be and what is the remington part number ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

Sorry, carrier RELEASE spring:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/remingt ... pring.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 am 
Tournament Grade

My guess is someone tried to install the aftermarket carrier button without taking the carrier apart and just bent up the carrier release spring. Not good. I use the same type of aftermarket button and it should look like this.

The carrier spring is installed correctly, just bent up. I doubt you'll be able to bend it down again, but you could try snipping off a small portion in a v shape then remove the screw holding on the release button and try to fit it under the screw. (or just buy a replacement, but they can be tricky to install.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for that.

The long straight end is up and the end with a hook is down against the button, it seems yours the the other way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Thanks for that.

The long straight end is up and the end with a hook is down against the button, it seems yours the the other way.

Yes, if yours is hook down, then its upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks everyone. The spring was indeed installed upside down. I reversed it and it functions as it should.

The way it was there was no way it could feed from the magazine. The previous owner couldn’t have been very happy with whomever installed the button. Looked pretty obvious after doing a little research.

Easy fix.

Mother’s old embroidery light came in handy again. This is one of my most useful shop tools:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Glad you got it figured out!