ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lightweight synthetic stock and forend for Remington 20 LT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Remington 1100 20 Gauge LT that is built on the small Frame.

I have a 28 Inch LT Plain barrel that should be here by early this upcoming week .

Going to cut off the barrel to either 18.5 to 20 Inches to decrease overall length and weight front end weight for use as a Home defense shotgun for my wife who is 70 Years of age and 90 pounds soaking wet .

I would like to put a lightweight Synthetic ? Stock and forend on the gun to decrease the weight she would be holding up and also decrease the Length of pull to no more that 12.5 inches.With a good recoil pad for her as well.

Does anyone make such a stock and forend for the Remington 1100 20 Gauge LT ?

Also investigating Buckshot that has as light of recoil as possible but that will still function the 1100 Action.

I know that Federal makes a 20 Gauge #4 buckshot at less than 1200 FPS but curious as to whether any Major manufacturer makes a #3 or #2 buckshot at 1100 FPS or less ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Lightweight synthetic stock and forend for Remington 20
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All the synthetic stock sets that I am aware of offer only a very small weight savings, if that, and a synthetic is more difficult to shorten than wooden set. If the wood is too pretty to cut, get a hardwood 20 gauge stock for an Express off ebay and chop that and add a good recoil pad.
After you shorten the barrel, be sure to check functionality with your chosen loads. You may need to open the gas ports a little with the shorter barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:44 pm 
Field Grade

Virginian wrote:
All the synthetic stock sets that I am aware of offer only a very small weight savings, if that, and a synthetic is more difficult to shorten than wooden set. If the wood is too pretty to cut, get a hardwood 20 gauge stock for an Express off ebay and chop that and add a good recoil pad.
After you shorten the barrel, be sure to check functionality with your chosen loads. You may need to open the gas ports a little with the shorter barrel.

Ok ,I was under the Mistaken impression that the synthetic would be a lot lighter.

If you don't mind would you Clear up something for me please as I am confused ?!

From my reading I have read that the stock from a Remington 20 Gauge built on the 12 Gauge frame will not fit the 20 Gauge LT which is built on a smaller frame.
is this true ? or not true?

If the above is true, how can I know before I order a 20 Gauge Hardwood Express stock from Ebay whether it came off a small frame and will fit my gun ?

Thank you Much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is true. All Express 20s are built on the LW receiver, which is the same size as the LT. Remington had quit making 20s on the 12 gauge sized receiver before the Express ever appeared.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:12 pm 
Field Grade

Virginian wrote:
It is true. All Express 20s are built on the LW receiver, which is the same size as the LT. Remington had quit making 20s on the 12 gauge sized receiver before the Express ever appeared.

This is all very interesting Information.

I like to learn as much as I can about guns and I have been since I was about 8 years old and I am almost 61 now.

I appreciate you taking the time to pass along this bit of information to me.