ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pawnshop Remington
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

Used guns of any kind are scarce in my area during this pandemic. But today I bought a 12-ga Remington 870 Wingmaster, 30 in full VR, for $259 out the door. Probably a 1980s gun. Nice shape, a couple spots of light rust on receiver that cleaned up easily. A couple cracks in the gloss wood finish near the buttpad. Tight, slick action and shiny bore. I am on the lookout for 870s since Remington shut down their NY plant. Thinking they are going up in value. Also watching for Marlin 336 rifles for the same reason. Picked up a 336W near new for $329 a couple weeks ago. Just can't resist these quality old-school guns at good prices.

Post subject: Re: Pawnshop Remington
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:42 pm 
Crown Grade

You take care of that Wingmaster and it will no doubt last the rest of your shooting career, regardless of how old you might be. Those guns aren`t classics for nothing.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

With over 11 million made, it’s hard to see how 870s will ever be scarce or valuable: certain variation maybe, but not the run of the mill shotgun

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

870s are only scarce right now, in my opinion, because of the year that we are in right now, and because people rely too much on Youtube "gun experts" to look for a first firearm.

That having been said, these are classic and unbelievably reliable shotguns and even having one with some secondhand rust is a quality purchase. I'd take one like the one you bought over any modern pump made today. You made a good decision to go with an 870.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 pm 
Limited Edition

I never turn down a pawnshop Wingmaster. They used to be pretty common - bought one for $100 out the door a couple years ago. Looks rough, but a good cleaning and it works like a champ.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:52 am 
Diamond Grade

You might be onto something about Remington prices going up. I placed some barrels (1100 and 870) on ebay for sale, and they are bringing surprising bids, did a search and those barrels are being really bid up. I also put up a Winchester 94, 30-30 on gunbroker, and it's price is surprising me also, so those Marlin 336s probably are going UP. BUT, maybe the covid-19 just has lots of people sitting at home and they get on ebay and gunbroker more, who knows?

Confirmed, I did a search on gunbroker, Marlin 336 prices are way up, lots of bidding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

If the gun did not have any damage due to neglect. And if you care for it it will be handed down to your grandchildren. Minor parts like extractors, etc. are readily available and cheap. same with 1100's, 700's etc. it will be interesting to see what the buyers of the Remington holding do about restarting. and what lines they resurrect. Certainly the 870, 1100 and 700 stuff are vauable tradenames.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

tallguy606 wrote:
Used guns of any kind are scarce in my area during this pandemic. But today I bought a 12-ga Remington 870 Wingmaster, 30 in full VR, for $259 out the door. Probably a 1980s gun. Nice shape, a couple spots of light rust on receiver that cleaned up easily. A couple cracks in the gloss wood finish near the buttpad. Tight, slick action and shiny bore. I am on the lookout for 870s since Remington shut down their NY plant. Thinking they are going up in value. Also watching for Marlin 336 rifles for the same reason. Picked up a 336W near new for $329 a couple weeks ago. Just can't resist these quality old-school guns at good prices.

Marlin assets were bought by Ruger.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:16 pm 
Field Grade

Prices going up don't surprise me in the least. Don't forget we're still in 2020, here.

It's how the economy is. People will eventually chill out and prices will come back down.