ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bringing back to use after 40 years
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:15 am 
Utility Grade

Got a 1100 20 gauge from my dad when I was 14. I believe it was manufactured in 1968. It has no markings on it just says Remington 1100 and the barrel is not ribbed. It is in cherry conditions including the wood. Put in a lot of Pheasant hunting until I was 20 and then life got me busy. Now 62 and decided that I was going to start hunting snipe and other small birds here in Central Florida.

So treat me as a rookie when responding about basics. Is there a primer or some sort of site that would let me learn a lot of basic info on the gun?

I stripped down and cleaned my gun and replaced the O-Ring. I realized I know very little about this gun and have a few questions after trying multiple queries on this forum. If anyone can help get me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

1. How can I learn what barrel and choke that I have and what shells I can shoot with?
2. I remember removing a plastic piece from the gun allowing me to shoot all the shells where the piece used to only allow 2. Is there a Federal or Florida law that I need to be aware of and do I need to find a replacement for that limiting device to hunt waterfowls? Still trying to read thru the regulations I picked up yesterday. Right up there with reading about the tax code (Groan).
3. I want to hunt small migratory birds in particular snipes but hoping to expand to turkeys down the line. Can I do it (turkey) with this gun or do I need to look for other options.

Any answers would be appreciated. If you have links that would allow me to learn about more on these topics that would be great too

Post subject: Re: Bringing back to use after 40 years
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You should be able to find a video on YouTube about disassembly of a Remington 1100. I don't think the gauge would make any difference in how they work or disassemble.

The piece you removed is called a "plug". For migratory birds, you have to have the gun "plugged" to limit the maximum number of rounds in the gun to 3. That's one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine tube.

Look on the barrel near the chamber end for info on chamber length (2 3/4" or 3"). A 3" barrel can shoot 2 3/4" shells, but not vice versa. If the barrel is chambered for 3", you'll probably need heavy field loads for the 2 3/4" shells to operate the gun. It will be a single shot with light target loads. Don't shoot 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber because it's not safe. Could blow up the gun and harm you.

I think it could be used for turkey hunting. Maybe not quite as good as a 12 gauge, but if you limit the distance of your shots, it will work just fine. Clean and lube the gun well. Lightweight oil works great such as Breakfree CLP. Also be sure that the gas port(s) in the barrel are open and not partially or totally clogged.

Enjoy the nice gun. {hs#

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

Post subject: Re: Bringing back to use after 40 years
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it truly is 1968 vintage the serial number should end in N or X, and it is on the 12 gauge sized receiver. If it ends in K or U it is a 28 gauge size receiver.
The choke should be on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. Either Imp. Cyl, Mod., or Full.
If it is a standard model in cherry condition it could be worth some bucks to a Skeet shooter. They like the heavier gun.
Federal law requires the maximum capacity of a gun to be restricted to a total of 3 rounds for migratory species.