ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will cutting a Remington 11-48 barrel to 18.5 inches affect
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Remington 11-48 12 Gauge 2 3/4 Shotgun with a 24.5 Inch full choke marking on the barrel.

After assistance from the forum I found out that the Barrel was more than likely not a factory option.

I used calipers to determine that the Barrel has a Cylinder choke (.728 inside diameter)so It has already been cut down by someone else before I got it ,seeing as to how it has already been cut ,I am thinking about just cutting it to 18.5 inches to make it a tad lighter and shorter for use as a home defense shotgun.

I have disassembled the Shotgun and cleaned all the gunk out of it and got around to shooting it yesterday and it functioned just fine,and kicks like the Proverbial Mule even when using some old Remington #8 Low brass shells.May need a a stiffer Recoil spring or run it dry.

My question for those who experience with these matters ,is cutting the barrel back likely to affect the function ??

Also anyone know where I could buy a New action spring in case I want to try that route to reduce the recoil?

Everything I have seen is listed as Pre Owned (IT is Used,,,where they come up with this Pre owned crap I have no idea ,LOL )or if a Newer action spring made for another shotgun that would work in this shotgun?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Will cutting a Remington 11-48 barrel to 18.5 inches aff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

Google-fu should be able to provide parts for the 11-48

https://gun-parts.com/remingtonshotgun/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Moha ... Swq15eEO6K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REMING ... SwOh1eh9pE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-11-4 ... SwoAFe9PC2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm 
Field Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

My Google Fu is Pretty Good
Thanks for the Links But I but I would be looking for a New Action spring

For a Part like a spring , I would not want to buy used with the obvious reason that there is no way of telling whether it is any stiffer than the one that I already have.

My main concern is how, if any , cutting the Barrel will affect reliability ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

AFAIK, nobody makes new parts for the long-discontinued 11-48 because there's not enough demand to tool up to make them.

I know of several long-recoil shotguns that have short barrels, and remain reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many old shotguns saw very little use. I wouldn’t worry too much about a used spring. Then again, if the gun works now, I wouldn’t replace the existing spring.

As for cutting the barrel, try it and see. It’s not like you can’t undo it . . . Oh, wait . . .

Seriously, i think you’ll be fine. Logically, i can’t think of any reason shortening the barrel on a recoil operated gun would reduce reliability. But, again, you won’t know for sure until it’s too late.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the comments and help guys

I am going to cut the barrel this weekend.

I figure if it does affect the function some how that I can figure out a way to make it reliable again .
I ain’t skeirt !
No sir ee !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bcraig wrote:

I figure if it does affect the function some how that I can figure out a way to make it reliable again .
I ain’t skeirt !
No sir ee !

You realize that as soon as you cut it, you'll find a nice 20" barrel for sale, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:16 pm 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
bcraig wrote:

I ain’t skeirt !
No sir ee !

You realize that as soon as you cut it, you'll find a nice 20" barrel for sale, right?

Yeah and probably for $2.00 Shipped !!

Nah ,once I figured out it had been cut already it was no longer original .
I figure cutting more off a barrel that is not original wont hurt anything anyway.
Now if it was original I probably leave it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

I used to have an old 16 ga Sportsman 48 and I can tell you the 70 year old barrel spring functioned just fine. Springs are kinda like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" for me, and you don't have to replace them nearly as often as some people claim you do. Imagine changing your suspension springs for your car every five thousand miles.

As for the barrel length question, gonna be cylinder for sure if someone cut it off. Long story short, no, it won't affect terminal ballistics in the slightest at typical defense ranges. When you are within ten yards choke becomes null and void from my personal experience on the 8th and 9th stands on a skeet field - your pattern is extremely tight, and by that I mean about the size of the bore itself, basically.

As for reliability, I would also think that this would have more to do with the ammo than the barrel length. 11-48 being a long recoil I wouldn't think this would affect it at all.

My $0.02, inflation accounted for.