ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NWTF 870 Express Magnum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Recently I took a Remington NWTF 870 Express Magnum as partial payment for a debt. I did notice right off that the barrel on this thing was, without question, wrong! Never having owned an NWTF 870, the finish alone told me this wasn't the correct barrel. The fellow handing me this was setting the value at about $200. I let him know I would likely spent close to that much on a barrel with things the way they are (pandemic, political issues, etc.) and he agreed to a $100 value. My next hurdle was to find a correct barrel without going broke!

I scoured all the usual venues for a while. For the most part I was looking at close to $200 and up (with shipping) to get the 28" matte finish with screw-in chokes and those were used. I had almost given up and then, last week I saw a barrel on gunbroker.com. It was new. It was 28" long with the correct finish and included three Rem Chokes (assuming IC, M & F) with the tool for $120 shipped! You bet I hit buy now!

It arrives sometime today!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: NWTF 870 Express Magnum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Received the new barrel on Saturday (a few days earlier than expected) and it is so nice to know I have the right setup! Yes, it was a splinter in my mind!

Sounds odd, but I slept better last night knowing I can load 3" shells in my newest 870!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought my first Wingmaster Magnum in the Fall of 1974, on a Friday evening at Green Top, brand new in the box for $150. I had decided to take up goose hunting. The next morning I killed two Canada geese with the first two shots out of that gun. Back then you didn't have to do any cleaning with a new gun.
I went on to shoot that gun better than any other gun I have ever owned. In 1980 I began hunting out of a small floating blind, and short shucked that 870 a few times. In a blinding flash of stupidity, I sold it and bought an 1100 Magnum. First hunt I squeezed off on a nice Pintail drake and heard the soft click of a misfire. The age of needing to clean new guns had arrived.
I found myself missing that 870. I got another one. I went thru several, including an Express when they came out. Killed two geese with that express with the first two shots, and it worked okay, but I couldn't lovingly caress that matte finish in the blind like I could polished blue and walnut. I finally scored a like new 1976 edition Wingmaster Magnum, and decided that was as close as I was ever going to get to my long gone one. I still like to use it occasionally, and I shoot it very well, but I must admit I do feel the recoil these days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Virginian wrote:
In a blinding flash of stupidity, I sold it and bought an 1100 Magnum.

I cannot, on even two hands, count the number of times I have made that same mistake! There is an 11-87 out there that should still be in my possession along with...

I feel ya!