ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Parts Availability
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:05 am 
Utility Grade

This question might be for Virginian, or any Remington fans, but I recently had a homecoming (strange in these times) when my beloved '94 1187 Premier (26"LC) came back home to me after being held prisoner for 3 years in the dark recesses of my son's gun cabinet, where it was keeping company with my beloved '69 Wingmaster 870ADL.

I changed the action spring shortly before it's kidnapping, along with the butt stock nut, which was replaced with the newer style 11/16" deep hex nut. I ordered a few gas seals at the time.

Checking various websites it appears that most Remington suppliers are out of stock on just about all parts. I had been thinking about ordering a spare Link, as well as a fore end support, and the gas piston set. Just kind of concerned about future supply of these parts.

Does any one have a known supplier of parts, and are there any suggestions for spare parts I have not thought of?

On the upside, the gun is used almost exclusively for upland and occasional clays, and has only had approx. 50 3" steel rounds through it, so it is mechanically excellent (maybe 5000 rounds) so I expect it will eventually back in the aforementioned gun cabinet sometime in the next decade.

Post subject: Re: Remington Parts Availability
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can try midwestgunparts.com, opticsppanet.com, gunparts.com, midwayusa.com, brownells.com. I have also looked for various parts for an 1100
and had to pick them up from a number of different sites. Parts may be in short supply with Remington being sold off to various companies, but I would imagine parts should be more readily available at some point.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Right now I find ebay to be the best. Strange times.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

If Remington doesn't come back with parts, I suspect someone will step in and manufacture the few wear parts. But I also have to believe it would be silly to shut down production on 870s and 1100/1187s - the startup costs have been paid off for years, they're still big sellers, and they have to be making profit on them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe the bigger challenge will be parts for the V3 due to the fact that the patents are still active on that model. I think the Versa Max has been out long enough to have someone else produce parts. Demand for parts for any of the Remington products will be the determining factor along with if any new parts are a profitable proposition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Win50 wrote:
But I also have to believe it would be silly to shut down production on 870s and 1100/1187s - the startup costs have been paid off for years, they're still big sellers, and they have to be making profit on them.

The start-up costs have not been paid for at all! No, there is no basis to believe that 1100 - 1187s are strong sellers at all. They have less models every year. The best finished models, the Premier series, have long ago gone away.

Premier (1987-1991)
Premier LH (1987-1991)
Premier 20-gauge (1999-2006)
Premier Dale Earnhardt Tribute 12-gauge (2003)
Premier Dale Earnhardt Tribute 20-gauge (2004)
Premier Deer FR CL (1994-2006)
Premier LC LH (1992-2006)
Premier LC High Gloss (1992-2006)
Premier LC Satin (1992-2002)
Premier High Gloss 3” (1991)
Premier Satin 3” (1991)
Premier Skeet (1987-1998)
Premier Skeet LH (1991-1994)
Premier Trap (1987-1998)

There are new 'owners," no employees, no customer service, no engineers, no new orders, no raw materials, and no old orders to fill. The new owners don't own the Remington name or trademarks, the have no firearms manufacturing license, they need insurance, staff, and need to pay property taxes and utility bills.

There is no product line, no dealers, no sales people, no pricing, no one to take an order, and no one knows what (if anything) might be made in 2021.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
I believe the bigger challenge will be parts for the V3 due to the fact that the patents are still active on that model. I think the Versa Max has been out long enough to have someone else produce parts.

You can just plain forget it. It is highly doubtful any V3's or Versa Max shotguns will ever be produced again. No one can make parts, even if there were more than a handful of people who claim to want them. Utility patents last 20 years, and who has the prints?

Those who truly appreciate the V3 already have two or twelve of them.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've wondered about this myself since most of my guns are Remingtons. However, the way I see it is this -

1) Even though nothing is being produced anymore the parts will be floating around for some time. I think just most people bought willy-nilly what was left once they realized Remington was going gills up. The fact that Virginian pointed out a lot of these parts are available through Ebay tells me that people are buying the parts and then flipping them at a much higher cost to the final buyer who actually needs it (which, if we didn't learn that from 2013, I don't think we ever will).

2) I routinely watch gunsmiths take much older, much more obscure and obsolete designs than modern Remington shotguns and bring them back to life - I am talking about parts that have not been produced since the 1930s. If there are shops out there who can do quality work on guns like that, then certainly there will be at least a few sensible gunsmiths who can do identical work on more modern and super-mass produced guns like 870s and 1100s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

StanofKansas wrote:
I've wondered about this myself since most of my guns are Remingtons. However, the way I see it is this -

1) Even though nothing is being produced anymore the parts will be floating around for some time. I think just most people bought willy-nilly what was left once they realized Remington was going gills up. The fact that Virginian pointed out a lot of these parts are available through Ebay tells me that people are buying the parts and then flipping them at a much higher cost to the final buyer who actually needs it (which, if we didn't learn that from 2013, I don't think we ever will).

2) I routinely watch gunsmiths take much older, much more obscure and obsolete designs than modern Remington shotguns and bring them back to life - I am talking about parts that have not been produced since the 1930s. If there are shops out there who can do quality work on guns like that, then certainly there will be at least a few sensible gunsmiths who can do identical work on more modern and super-mass produced guns like 870s and 1100s.

I've been watching people disassemble Winchester pre 64 model 70's for years, selling the parts on ebay. The parts apparently bring more than the complete guns, so people are tearing them down and selling them as parts.

I am sure the same will occur with Remington products.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The same ilk of people who bought all the toilet paper also bought all the Remington parts they could find. Some for personal comfort, others for future profit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am thankful that I have a generous supply of SP-10 parts on hand. I am confident those will never be replicated in the aftermarket circles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Virginian wrote:
The same ilk of people who bought all the toilet paper also bought all the Remington parts they could find. Some for personal comfort, others for future profit.

I just got this amusing image in my head of someone's living room stocked to the ceiling with nothing but Charmin rolls and action bar assemblies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m in the process of purchasing a large trove of Remington 1100 parts for all gauges as well as stocks and forearms. It is from the estate of a deceased shooting buddy. I will be selling at both reasonable and attractive prices. Should get the deal done this week.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very thoughtful of you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:43 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
I’m in the process of purchasing a large trove of Remington 1100 parts for all gauges as well as stocks and forearms. It is from the estate of a deceased shooting buddy. I will be selling at both reasonable and attractive prices. Should get the deal done this week.

I'll be the first in line if you end up with a decent wood stock set. Please keep us posted if/when you get things listed. Thanks for the heads up.
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unfortunately, their 783 rifles didn’t have anywhere near the production numbers of the 1100 & 870 shotguns. I realized too late that I should have bought spare mags for mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Where can I find a cam pin for the bolt? All sold out a Midwest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

CaseyB02.21.15 wrote:
I had been thinking about ordering a spare Link, as well as a fore end support, and the gas piston set. Just kind of concerned about future supply of these parts.

Does any one have a known supplier of parts,

I have a link, new in the packing, if you want to buy it, I am willing to sell it. Give me a pm and a price you are willing to pay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Was just on Brownells web site and was shocked at the large number of Remington 1100 parts that were out of stock: common things like a piston and piston seal

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've seen a lot of these parts pop back up on Gunbroker recently.