ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 Special Field 20 & 12 gauge barrels
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:17 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Guys, Did anyone ever produce 28” vent rib barrels for the Special Field 870 straight stock guns. If they were produced, where might I find them now? Thanks, Tom

Post subject: Re: 870 Special Field 20 & 12 gauge barrels
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW, Tom ! ! {hs#

IDK of any barrel makers who made Special (Field) barrels, probably because there's not much of a market to justify tooling up for them, given that the barrel-ring is placed in a different spot on the barrel (relative to the receiver) than the millions of standard Model 870's.

Another reason might be that most folks bought the Special for it's fast handling short barrel (great for snap-shooting game in the thickets), and wouldn't have bought the gun if longer barrels were wanted..

Last edited by CriscoKid on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

Thomas J Kayser wrote:
Hi Guys, Did anyone ever produce 28” vent rib barrels for the Special Field 870 straight stock guns. If they were produced, where might I find them now? Thanks, Tom

I'm a fan of the 870 Special Fields but certainly not an expert regarding them but I've never seen nor heard of such a barrel. I would think there are two ways to achieve such a finished product; have the barrel band moved on a regular barrel to accommodate the shorter magazine tube OR put the straight English stock on a regular, long barreled 870 with the longer magazine tube. Good luck. I like projects like this. I've toyed with the idea of duplicating the unique attributes of the Special Fields with a Mossberg 500 and 2 shot mag tube.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To the best of my knowledge as others have indicated, they did not make any longer barrels for those particular models.

since the magazine tubes were shorter on those models than a regular 870, the easiest way to get a longer barreled version would be to put one of those stocks on a regular wingmaster receiver. I do not know if the short forearm wood will fit a regular forend or not, might be able to get similar feel with a corncob law enforcement style rather than a full wingmaster style fore end.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Thomas J Kayser wrote:

Not an 870. Not sure if it is a special field or an 1100 with a straight stock.

Pre Owned Remington 1100 LT20 Special Field Sho... for sale
https://www.gunsamerica.com/989439445/P ... 23837K.htm