ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just a Suggestion For V3 Owners
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Do we always wait for a company to blow itself up into nothingness before coming up with handy tips and opine about imaginary design defects? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it was a year ago, I'd just contact Remington engineering and reconfirm the latest hardness / heat-treat / tolerance specs for the V3 Waterfowl Pro and Turkey Pro cam pin, and so forth. But it isn't a year ago, no one is home, and I'm not in the mood to have an entertaining discussion . . . with a dial tone.

I`m the first to admit that I never felt that Remington Arms, being a true American icon, would just.....cease to exist. I thought, apparently naively, that surely one of the other gun companies would somehow absorb them and the Remington name would live on, as Ruger did with Marlin. Those of us who were fortunate enough to grow up hunting and shooting with our fathers and our friends, if we weren`t carrying a Remington, the guy next to us probably was.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Specklebelly wrote:

I actually think I am going to do that with my V3 Waterfowl Pro. I have zero worries about mine, it is just insane how much used Remingtons are going for now. One of those real estate type philosophies, buy low and sell high.

I bought my 26" walnut way too cheap to resell it. There's no way I could get as good a gun for the $600 I paid for it. I think I'll just shoot it until it falls apart. And I have definitely offloaded my last Wingmaster, the ones that remain will be mine until I'm done with guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DKW1 wrote:
I was waiting for a Sporter, looks like I am SOL.

They were working on two high grade models, but that's as far as they got.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
DKW1 wrote:
I was waiting for a Sporter, looks like I am SOL.

They were working on two high grade models, but that's as far as they got.

Well, they obviously had plans to take advantage of the " basic " V3`s success with an enhanced line in addition to the Pros. What a pity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Yes, those were supposed to be "V3 Premiers." On April 4th, 2020 (not April 1st :? ) I received this note from Remington:
"Thanks Randy,

You’ll be pleased to know work has resumed on the 20 GA."

On May 22, 2020 they had finished building the blued V3 Premier samples. Things changed after that, fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just like almost all discontinued firearms somebody somewhere will figure out how to make aftermarket replacement parts for profit. You may have to wait for patents to expire, but my money says that it will happen

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Yes, those were supposed to be "V3 Premiers." On April 4th, 2020 (not April 1st :? ) I received this note from Remington:
"Thanks Randy,

You’ll be pleased to know work has resumed on the 20 GA."

On May 22, 2020 they had finished building the blued V3 Premier samples. Things changed after that, fairly quickly.

And the frequently asked for 20 gauge. Oh man...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:47 pm 
Crown Grade

:? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is difficult to exaggerate the condition of "Remington," once a billion dollar company with eight manufacturing locations and upwards of 3500 employees. Who knows when or if anything will be made in Ilion ever again, but hiring up to 200 employees is more medium-size fabricator OEM or Super Wal*Mart size than a significant manufacturing entity, even if it does happen in some form or another.

We've seen this movie before: Colt, Winchester, Marlin, Ithaca. When and if the jokers at Roundtree get through trying to break up the little local union, there is an incomprehensible number of old SKU's and parts. Navigation through all of that would be difficult for even the most well-heeled, savvy, experienced industry professionals . . . and that isn't Roundtree. No one is going to like the idea of jacked-up prices, erratic service, and no warranty on 204 years worth of production.

It takes someone like Ron Coburn, who took over Savage Arms while they were insolvent, had to clean house, and decided that they were going to build only one product, the Savage 110, the oldest continuously manufactured bolt-action rifle in North America, but they were absolutely positively going to do it right. That's exactly what Ron Coburn and his team did, starting with a few employees and rebuilding Savage into a very profitable $200 million a year company with 700+ employees. After some 20 years of work, Ron Coburn and associates sold Savage to ATK for $315 million.

Confused about how to succeed, ATK now Vista sold Savage to long-time Savage President Al Kasper and his group for a total of $170 million. Al Kasper is one smart cookie and as industry-savvy as anyone . . . I have no doubt Savage will continue to flourish.

Remington in Ilion's prospects are dim to non-existent, take your pick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Just like almost all discontinued firearms somebody somewhere will figure out how to make aftermarket replacement parts for profit. You may have to wait for patents to expire, but my money says that it will happen

Yes, there are literally tons of Remington guns out there and functioning. They will wear, get damaged, break, and otherwise need parts. You would indeed think that someone would figure a way to make money off of that. Never underestimate Yankee ingenuity !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
.45colt wrote:
Too bad for All of Us who own V3's as I'm sure at some time in the future Remington would have redesigned/improved the cam pin and bolt carrier. :( .

Remington already did just that with the Waterfowl Pro / Turkey Pro models.

What were the improvements or redesign of the cam pin and bolt carrier?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 am 
Limited Edition

Dward wrote:"What were the improvements or redesign of the cam pin and bolt carrier?" ...............this is the million dollar question for V3 owners. somebody who has a waterfowl or turkey Pro model needs to take the bolt apart and post pictures of the changes. Please.
I have been unable to find anything on the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
Dward wrote:"What were the improvements or redesign of the cam pin and bolt carrier?" ...............this is the million dollar question for V3 owners. somebody who has a waterfowl or turkey Pro model needs to take the bolt apart and post pictures of the changes. Please.
I have been unable to find anything on the internet.

I don't think there were any changes to the cam pin or bolt carrier assembly.
The changes made were only to the model specific features such as beveled loading ports, large safety, large bolt release, etc.

If someone has one and cares to look that can be confirmed. Specklebelly?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

It looks like it is more of a problem in the earlier guns. Good news is it seems to be a pressed in piece so any competent gun smith should be able to make a replacement. I wonder because it is a pressed in piece is it not straight. Remington's quality at the end was better than in previous yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:

The changes made were only to the model specific features such as beveled loading ports, large safety, large bolt release, etc

Who, exactly, from Remington told you that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:

The changes made were only to the model specific features such as beveled loading ports, large safety, large bolt release, etc

I am going by the fact that no one has produced a picture of a design change to those components. If there was a hardness change that is IMO a materials change and not a different configuration of those components.

Several here (Dward, Colt45, Tidefanatic, myself, etc) have asked for some evidence via a picture of what the change was. None have been produced which is why I still can state no change was made. Can you produce such a picture of a design change?

If not, no picture=no change!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:01 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:

I am going by the fact that no one has produced a picture of a design change to those components. If there was a hardness change that is IMO a materials change and not a different configuration of those components.

Several here (Dward, Colt45, Tidefanatic, myself, etc) have asked for some evidence via a picture of what the change was. None have been produced which is why I still can state no change was made. Can you produce such a picture of a design change?

If not, no picture=no change!

Yes, Randy`s rather strong intimation that Remington addressed the issues described concerning the cam pin and bolt carrier lead me to believe that, since I believe he owns both Pro models, that pictures should be forthcoming. Looking forward to them, Randy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I asked who, specifically, from Remington advised you that there was no change. Apparently, no one-- it is just your own conjecture. Your cry for a picture is nonsensical, for a picture tells you absolutely nothing about parent material changes, hardness changes, tolerance changes, or vendor changes. Firearms constantly get print revisions, running production changes, bill of material changes, vendored part changes, and assembly changes that no one can possibly glean from a glance at a picture.

Whether Herstal, Mossberg, Savage, Sig, you name it . . . there are revisions and updates constantly, not announced, and not detectable by smartphone snapshot. There is no wear to either my Turkey Pro or Waterfowl Pro. That tells everyone nothing, except there is no appreciable wear to two individual V3 specimens.

With a defunct Remington, parts are not available for any V3 model or any specific V3 rendition . . . and may never be. Pictures of non-obtainum parts helps no one.

This video was posted over three years ago: over 50,000 people have viewed it. https://youtu.be/h5A9Fd38yCc .Yet, in all these years no one carped about excessive cam pin wear: no one at all that watched that video claimed that their cam pin failed. It clearly is not a common malady in the first place, far from it . . . which is not to say that there was never a few out-of-spec parts or a misaligned cam pin that slipped through QC, only that is the problem never was common.

There were significant redesigns for the TAC-13, V3 Compact, V3 Tactical versions, the Turkey Pro, and the Waterfowl Pro. Unless someone has internal Remington production blueprints, with all of the revisions and associated bill of materials changes, with assembly specification changes, it is a border-line fun-filled way to fill up your Covid days with meaningless idle speculation.

It is wintertime, so we are all far better off checking out the new mitts. I think they reduce recoil and put 13.2% more pellets on target. (Specifications subject to change without notice.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

So, from reading this string, am I correct in assuming that there was in fact a redesign or improvement made to the bolt carrier and cam pin on some V3 models, but no one knows what they are?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 am 
Limited Edition

From what I have seen on this thread there may well be a problem with the cam pin and rotating bolt. most V3 owners would sure like to be pro-active if possible . the excellent post that "frankremly" did shows us a possible solution on why the bolt wants to gall the cam pin.
If indeed Remington made changes to the "Pro" models we would have a better Idea which way to go.
If the covid ever gets under control and We don't have Grandkids here everyday , I may be in a place where I could start shooting a lot again. the last thing I want to worry about is the V3 breaking down. I bought it specifically because of the low recoil.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next