ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just a Suggestion For V3 Owners
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dward wrote:
So, from reading this string, am I correct in assuming that there was in fact a redesign or improvement made to the bolt carrier and cam pin on some V3 models, but no one knows what they are?

The Remington design engineers had (past tense) the final revised prints for all models of the V3 including those not yet released, the Versa-Max II, etc., etc. Of course they know, they designed the whole bloody line of guns. Know it? They wrote it.

It is all currently the property of Roundhill. What they do, if anything, and what they release, if anything, is up to them. They currently have no employees, no customer service, no firearms manufacturing license, not so much as a website.

[email protected] is the only way of (maybe?) contacting them.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:30 am 
Crown Grade

Dward wrote:
So, from reading this string, am I correct in assuming that there was in fact a redesign or improvement made to the bolt carrier and cam pin on some V3 models, but no one knows what they are?

I’d bet the farm that the cam pin and bolt carrier assembly in the Turkey and Waterfowl Pro variants of the V3 are precisely the same as in any other V3. There’s no objective evidence to the contrary, at least none presented here.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Dward wrote:

I’d bet the farm that the cam pin and bolt carrier assembly in the Turkey and Waterfowl Pro variants of the V3 are precisely the same as in any other V3. There’s no objective evidence to the contrary, at least none presented here.

Given that no evidence has come forward to the contrary I’m in agreement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:41 am 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Dward wrote:

I'm with you Tide!!! {hs# 1cas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

There could be differences in the metallurgy in the newer guns. If there is it, might make a difference with the durability of the parts in question. On this point it seems that Mr.Wakeman might have some information, but if he does he is not being forthcoming with the details. It is also possible that Mr. Wakeman was told some nonspecific information about changes, but since he has no specific information he is unable to tell us anything.

Whatever the case, at this time, there is absolutely nothing that any of us can do about it.

What I have learned from this thread is that Remington put it in the manual that grease should be used on the cam pin. I had read the manual when I purchased my walnut V3 back in 2017, but I missed that point. I recently looked at my gun and there were some very slight wear marks on the cam pin. These marks were very slight and I do not feel that they showed anything that I would consider out of the ordinary. Frankly, I have AR bolts that show greater wear marks on their cam pin after fewer rounds of use.

When I took my V3 bolt apart to look for signs of wear on the cam pin I absolutely used grease on the pin and the mating surface on the rotating bolt when I reassembled it. I have no expectation that regardless of future usage the parts in question will be subject to premature failure, particularly now that I am aware of the requirement for grease on the pin.

See, we can all learn something every day!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

I am going to hold out hope that something will be done. I at least hope we will see a V3 or a VM model because I really think it is a great shotgun. I was not a great Remington fan I just could not get on board with them. Bu they hit a home run with the V3 and hopefully I can find another one to buy eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
IMHO, a prudent move,

Congratulations, Tidefanatic, you just got over four pages from quoting a 2015 owners manual from a discontinued shotgun from a discontinued company. :shock: Who knows what 2021 will bring?

The old cam pin, that perhaps a dozen people in history have managed to break, was a MSRP $8.63 part. Anyone who managed to have problems with one got it replaced under warranty.

According to Remington engineers and product managers, that part was improved (along with countless other little things) in the V3 Turkey Pro and V3 Waterfowl Pro, and was scheduled to carry through to several new models (V3 Premier, V3 20 Gauge) already deeply in the works, but not released. The Versa Max and V3 models were to be the core of Remington's next 100 years of autoloading shotguns.

That's all there is. Today, there is no warranty, there is no customer service, there is no engineering department, there are no product managers, there are no cam pins or complete bolts available, original or latest revision, and there is no sign that there ever will be.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

But if you go to the Remington ammunition website it refers you to Remarms.com. it does not seem to work but hey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
IMHO, a prudent move,

Congratulations, Tidefanatic, you just got over four pages from quoting a 2015 owners manual from a discontinued shotgun from a discontinued company. :shock: Who knows what 2021 will bring?

The old cam pin, that perhaps a dozen people in history have managed to break, was a MSRP $8.63 part. Anyone who managed to have problems with one got it replaced under warranty.

According to Remington engineers and product managers, that part was improved (along with countless other little things) in the V3 Turkey Pro and V3 Waterfowl Pro, and was scheduled to carry through to several new models (V3 Premier, V3 20 Gauge) already deeply in the works, but not released. The Versa Max and V3 models were to be the core of Remington's next 100 years of autoloading shotguns.

That's all there is. Today, there is no warranty, there is no customer service, there is no engineering department, there are no product managers, there are no cam pins or complete bolts available, original or latest revision, and there is no sign that there ever will be.

Why thank you , sir, I do humbly appreciate the recognition. I’m certainly willing to do what I can to stimulate discussion, even if it only otherwise serves as a welcome distraction in these most turbulent and often unpleasant times.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:47 am 
Limited Edition

Congratulations indeed !! this thread may seem trivial to some but I now know what to look for down the road and have several ideas how to minimize the wear to the cam pin. with out customer service / warranty to rely on information like this is invaluable . if the pin breaks today there are no easy quick fixes.
Thanks to all who posted about this . Thanks Tide , and Happy New Year. :D .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 am 
Crown Grade

.45colt wrote:
Congratulations indeed !! this thread may seem trivial to some but I now know what to look for down the road and have several ideas how to minimize the wear to the cam pin. with out customer service / warranty to rely on information like this is invaluable . if the pin breaks today there are no easy quick fixes.
Thanks to all who posted about this . Thanks Tide , and Happy New Year. :D .

Back at ya’, sir!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Less the frequent reporting of Remington’s demise, the core of the thread has been interesting and valuable. It has identified a potential problem early in the gun’s lifecycle, has identified and reinforced the need to both read the owners manual and follow its instructions, and has identified that no further changes or modifications exist in its design. Well done Tide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
IMHO, a prudent move,

I cringed at first when I read that and then wept uncontrollably.

Seriously, It chaffs my butt to know that they would have been a reality but for some money grubbing corporate raiders who gave not a damn about a 200 year old American firearms maker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

{hs# :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
IMHO, a prudent move,

I cringed at first when I read that and then wept uncontrollably.

Seriously, It chaffs my butt to know that they would have been a reality but for some money grubbing corporate raiders who gave not a damn about a 200 year old American firearms maker.

Well said, sir. Well said.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

RandyWakeman wrote:

As I finally did have a chance to talk with the former Remington engineering folks (now employed elsewhere in the industry), I can correct myself. The cam pin, that is pressed in, and other changes were looked at as part of the then-forthcoming V3 20 gauge. However, the proposed changes never made it into production in any V3 before Remington's demise. As best as could be recollected, the cam pin was made from AISI 6150 alloy steel.

Properties Metric Imperial
Tensile strength, ultimate 670 MPa 97200 psi
Tensile strength, yield 415 MPa 60200 psi
Izod impact 27 J 19.9 ft-lb
Modulus of elasticity 190-210 GPa 27557-30458 ksi
Shear modulus (typical for steel) 80 GPa 11600 ksi
Bulk modulus (typical for steel) 140 GPa 20300 ksi
Poissons ratio (calculated) 0.27 – 0.30 0.27-0.30
Elongation at break (in 50 mm) 23% 23%
Hardness, Brinell 197 197
Hardness, Vickers (converted from Brinell hardness) 207 207

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Well that's good to know Randy. Thank You.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

As I finally did have a chance to talk with the former Remington engineering folks (now employed elsewhere in the industry), I can correct myself. The cam pin, that is pressed in, and other changes were looked at as part of the then-forthcoming V3 20 gauge. However, the proposed changes never made it into production in any V3 before Remington's demise. As best as could be recollected, the cam pin was made from AISI 6150 alloy steel.

Properties Metric Imperial
Tensile strength, ultimate 670 MPa 97200 psi
Tensile strength, yield 415 MPa 60200 psi
Izod impact 27 J 19.9 ft-lb
Modulus of elasticity 190-210 GPa 27557-30458 ksi
Shear modulus (typical for steel) 80 GPa 11600 ksi
Bulk modulus (typical for steel) 140 GPa 20300 ksi
Poissons ratio (calculated) 0.27 – 0.30 0.27-0.30
Elongation at break (in 50 mm) 23% 23%
Hardness, Brinell 197 197
Hardness, Vickers (converted from Brinell hardness) 207 207

Thank you Randy, appreciate that update.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Since the reports of "The union at Remington Arms in Ilion says the plant’s new owner is trying to go around it and its labor contract by sending job offers directly to 200 employees." in late December, the airwaves have been silent. What, if anything, is ever going to come out of Ilion is unknowable. If there is no progress within the next month, perhaps some enterprising entity will make replacement cam pins. Some have indeed broken, according to former Remington engineers, but only a handful over the several years of V3 production. Anyone one goes to the trouble of making them would have to believe that they could sell more than two of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Good information, Randy. Thanks.

As for wearing the cam pin or any other part on my V3 too much; I don't think that is going to happen due to the ammo shortage. No chance of wearing anything out if the gun is not used.

In about 2 1/2 months I will be out of ammo and none to be found. At that time I am going to buy some really highly engraved quality knitting needles and start my new hobby.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next