ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebate check
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I received a $50 Remington Rebate check on December 24th. I could not believe it. Because I knew Remington was going out of business I bought a new V3 while I still could. I wanted one for some time and was waiting for a 26” waterfowl version that never came. I bought the gun in late October and registered it on the Remington website for the warranty, just in case. While I was in their website I decided to fill out the rebate form too but really did not expect to receive it especially as I was reading about the company’s downfall and outright liquidation on this forum.

Going to cash it on Monday, which me luck.

Post subject: Re: Rebate check
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I hope it works for you , please let us know

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

That`s rather interesting alright. Do let us know what happens. Is anyone even answering the phones at Remington?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:47 am 
Limited Edition

Wow !! go buy some lottery tickets. maybe there is still a pulse at Remington.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's not a surprise at all. You didn't receive a rebate check from Remington, you received one from a 3rd party rebate processing company which had been pre-funded before Remington went bankrupt.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
It's not a surprise at all. You didn't receive a rebate check from Remington, you received one from a 3rd party rebate processing company which had been pre-funded before Remington went bankrupt.

Learn something everyday! Didn`t know that there was such an animal.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

That sounds plausible but I am still skeptical how true it is. How does this 3rd party know how many people will take advantage of the rebate? Or how many will buy a qualifying gun. For Remington or any other company to prepay a 3rd party for future rebates is not good business. They are bankrupt no so “good business” is definitely lacking but what advantage is it for Remington to prepay the 3rd party? Why would any business prepay for something the customer will likely never take advantage of? Most rebates are not followed through on the buyers side. That said, Remington or any other manufacturer of anything would know they will not have to pay 100% of the rebates as it relates to qualifying gun purchases. So what percentage does the manufacture pay? Why take the risk of overpaying the 3rd party or being underpaying by the manufacturers? I don’t think that is the answer.

Also, my guess is the bankruptcy courts would take any money earmarked for possible gun rebates that may happen someday??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington's rebates (at least the most recent one) were handled by Velocity Fulfillment in Tempe AZ. Their rebates have been going to Tempe for the better part of the last decade, so I would assume it's been the same company for a while.

Google PO BOX 22092 | TEMPE, AZ 85285-2092 and it'll show dozens of different companies/rebates their address is used for.

The customer prepays based on an expected return rate. If the returns are higher or lower than expected, I'm sure there is a resolution outlined in the contract, however based on past history and analysis I'll bet they can are able to come up with a surprisingly close estimate. I'm positive Velocity wouldn't have processed ANY Remington rebates after bankruptcy was filed unless their contract was prepaid or held in escrow.

Google rebate fulfillment companies, there are plenty out there. Most large companies couldn't possibly be bothered to take care of their own rebates. Winchester has used Repco Logistics for quite a while. Vista may process their own since I can't find their rebate PO box associated with any other non-vista promotions (they still could be processed by a 3rd party, the 3rd party may have just chosen a single PO box for Vista rebates). The only one I'm aware of who may process their own rebates is Browning, and unsurprisingly they are the most painless and efficient in my experience.

If the rebates hadn't been prepaid, anyone owned one would have become an unsecured creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings, and the very last in line to be paid. The rebate $ did not come from the bankruptcy.

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All those rebates are processed by third parties. Take not the next time that you fill a rebate form out, what address it is going to.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I don’t doubt a third party is involved but prepaying the rebates is hard for me to accept. I appreciate your input. Happy holidays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

I got mine back to and I agree it is a 3rd party handling it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm 
Crown Grade

No different than the way grocery store coupons are handled.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
No different than the way grocery store coupons are handled.

Or TV game show payouts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't know if it is true or not, but I have a buddy who claims those rebate centers are gathering your information to resell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

noweil wrote:
I don't know if it is true or not, but I have a buddy who claims those rebate centers are gathering your information to resell.

Of course it's true. Your information is very valuable, esp when it can be used for targeted marketing.

[email protected]