ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem. 1100 20g on full sized 12g frame trigger group question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:14 pm 
Field Grade

Hello and thank you in advance for reading my post.

Bought a 20g on full sized frame (ser. no. ends with X) from GB about 10 months ago. Have had various cycling issues and after the deepest cleanings I am capable of, changing the magazine and action rebound springs, replacing shell carrier with one a friend had in a drawer, and switching from white box steel shells to Winchester AA and Clever brass, I have improved the reliability to cycle to about 96% but still have some sporadic / random issues like either a spent shell does not eject or the second shell stays in the magazine.

The last time a shell stayed in the magazine I saw that the shell retainer (it pivots on a post on left side of receiver) was holding the next shell in place. It pivots freely by hand and works 96% - 99% of the time, so started looking at the disconnect on the trigger group when I finally noticed the number 28 embossed on the trigger group which made me wonder if I have a 28g trigger group. I compared it side by side with my 1976 870 Wingmaster I have owned from new and to my eyes they look to be the same size.

My questions.

A) Does 28 marking on trigger group assembly mean 28g or not meaningful.
B) if I can source any newer or NOS trigger group should I seek a 12g assuming that 20g are for LT / LW versions, or should I look for 20g trigger group?
C) For the failure to eject cases was planning to change the extractor since the ejector looks to me to be pressed into the barrel extension and beyond the capability of a want-to-be smith.

Best regards, and Happy New Year,

Tim,

Btw - although disappointed with my cycle reliability issues so far, I am super happy with how this very low recoil gun breaks clays.

Post subject: Rem. 1100 20g on full sized 12g frame trigger group question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would not think that a 28 ga trigger group would fit in your full size receiver. Virginian should be along shortly to the rescue with answers to your other questions. He is truly al 1100 authority. I think you mean the “interceptor latch” when you say “shell retainer”. It should have a spring that holds it in one position until it is lifted.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Rem. 1100 20g on full sized 12g frame trigger group ques
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Interceptor latch is the term I was looking for, thank you, and I am looking at trigger group images online and see several different numbers stamped or molded in the V notch which lead me to believe the #28 does not mean 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Boca_Tim wrote:
My questions.

A) Does 28 marking on trigger group assembly mean 28g or not meaningful. Not meaningful.
B) if I can source any newer or NOS trigger group should I seek a 12g assuming that 20g are for LT / LW versions, or should I look for 20g trigger group? Going strictly on memory here, but I think the only difference between a standard weight 20 trigger group and a 12 gauge was the carrier. Can't find my old parts list brochure.
C) For the failure to eject cases was planning to change the extractor since the ejector looks to me to be pressed into the barrel extension and beyond the capability of a want-to-be smith. Put some masking tape on the receiver over the handle slot and see how far back the handle is coming. My bet is with heavier loads the problem disappears. A bad extractor would not be working 90+% of the time.
In my experience, the little number stamped on the interceptor latch does indicate the gauge. The interceptor latch is only supposed to interact with the second shell in the magazine, not the first, that's the feed latch's job.
A .410/28 ga/LW-LT 20 gauge trigger group is visibly narrower than a 12/16/Std. 20 gauge one.

Best regards, and Happy New Year,

Tim,

Btw - although disappointed with my cycle reliability issues so far, I am super happy with how this very low recoil gun breaks clays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

My experience, 20ga standard and 12ga trigger groups are interchangeable, identical.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:57 pm 
Limited Edition

One thing I liked about the Remington Standard 20 Ga. gun was the ability to swap in my 12 Ga. release trigger and my 12 Ga. shell catcher and shoot sub-gauge trap events with it. Was told that Remington's thoughts on that model gun was it allowed skeet shooters to shoot 20 Ga. events with a gun of the 12 Ga. handling. FWIW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use the same trigger plate(s) with standard 12 and 20 gauges. Expect the 16 gauge can be added to it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you all.
Does anyone know if the 20g standard link is a unique or common part?

Happy New Years

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

The link is the same.