ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is RemArms, LLC Another Lazarus?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I contacted RemArms via email to see if there was anyone there to shed some light on the Remington parts issue. I just got a response back. I highlighted the interesting part of their response.

First what I sent.

Since the patents are still active and no one else has any machinery to produce them; how will the thousands of V3 owners get any replacement parts that are specific to the V3 model? Generic parts such as springs can probably be found easily enough but V3 specific parts are not currently available anywhere.

For example, bolt specific parts such as cam pins and bolt carrier assembly.

This is the response I got today.

"Info
2:08 PM (2 hours ago)
to me

Thank you for contacting RemArms, LLC,

RemArms, LLC. is a newly formed entity that acquired the Remington firearms division from Remington Outdoors Company. We are working diligently to obtain all necessary regulatory licenses and become operational. RemArms will be producing Remington branded firearms soon at the historic Ilion, NY facility where Remington has been produced for more than 200 years. We expect to have our website, http://www.remarms.com. online very soon and production of legacy Remington firearms is on track to begin in early 2021.

To that end, the existing supply of parts for Remington firearms is currently limited to inventory already in the marketplace. Please contact retailers that specialize in gun parts for your needs. As RemArms ramps up production of Remington firearms, availability of parts for firearms that are produced by RemArms LLC is expected to improve.

Thank you for your understanding and support of Remington firearms, America's oldest gunmaker since 1816."

Post subject: Re: Is RemArms, LLC Another Lazarus?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Perhaps the Phoenix will rise from the ashes. Let's hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Personally I think the intent IS for RemArms to actually make guns. I am apprehensive that they will make the early 2021 target. There will be myriad complications that will get in the way of that optimistic goal.

From what I understand as a complete outsider they will have a long uphill battle reestablishing their supply chain. There will be continuing problems with New York restrictions relating to Coronavirus. There will be labor difficulties. There will be plenty of unforeseen and unplanned complications. They will make some incredibly stupid mistakes along the way, most will remain private, but some may leak out. They will burn cash at an alarming rate. Personally I think late summer or autumn is even optimistic, but possible under the right set of circumstances.

I think we will see 870 Express, 870 Wingmasters, and one or the other 1100 / 11-87, probably in a matte finish. I think a little later we will see the V3 and VersaMax, but in limited product variants. All of the guns will be in basic traditional versions and probably only standard field models with 26 or 28 inch barrels. I predict that we will see the most basic 700 series rifles and NO handguns. This limited lineup is probably how they will enter 2022. From there if they can sell the guns they are producing they will be willing to expand these lines to more variants on those basic guns. It could be 2023 before we see a stream of products that will begin to match what the old Remington had on the shelf during 2019.

Of course I am a complete outsider. I have absolutely no inside information. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm just a guy that enjoys my shotguns, and a few of them are Remingtons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Dward wrote:

Nor am I. Many would like to see a new Remington. But......Talk is cheap.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
Dward wrote:

Nor am I. Many would like to see a new Remington. But......Talk is cheap.

True dat, Tide. We shall see...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Keeping manufacturing in New York State is a big uphill battle. Outsourcing the work to most any state or foreign country would be smarter. I’ll be surprised if this new concern doesn’t fall flat within a year or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:14 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
To that end, the existing supply of parts for Remington firearms is currently limited to inventory already in the marketplace. (Translation: We have nothing.) Please contact retailers that specialize in gun parts for your needs. As RemArms ramps up production of Remington firearms, availability of parts for firearms that are produced by RemArms LLC is expected to improve.

Thank you for your understanding and support of Remington firearms, America's oldest gunmaker since 1816."

Wouldn't it be more accurate to claim, "America's Youngest Gunmaker . . . since 2021, maybe, kinda-sorta, well . . . if we figure out how to sell a gun, we might make it." :wink: That is, if we can find the money to pay to Vista who owns the Remington brand and trademarks. Sure we said it would be a matter of weeks over two months ago, but believe it this time. Maybe.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

They have changed names before. E. Remington & Sons to 1888, Remington Arms Co. 1888 to 1911, Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. 1911 to 1916, The Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. 1916 to 1920 and Remington Arms Co., Inc. 1920 onwards. In 1934 DuPont acquired controlling interest. I don't remember exactly when, but in the late 1970s or early 1980s DuPont called all the outstanding Remington Arms Co., Inc. stock and replaced it with DuPont stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Oh, there is more: Freedom Group, Remington Outdoor, and so forth. The "Remington family of brands" https://www.remingtonoutdoorcompany.com/ has never been liquidated at auction before, and Remington regardless of ownership has never lost the name Remington before . . . until now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Regardless of current owner, they have to be sitting on literal TONS of firearm components right now. I'm sure the biggest question at this point is what can be sold as spare parts and what needs to be retained to assemble guns. I'm sure they are going to need a ground-up inventory of EVERYTHING before they can do anything.

From what I saw when I was touring the facility a handful of years ago, and what I've gathered elsewhere, Remington only makes major components in house (basically, actions and barrels). Nearly everything else is jobbed out to a 3rd party. It will definitely take time for new contracts to be drawn with all of those 3rd parties, and new suppliers to be found if the ones who got boned by old Remington don't want to deal with them again. Then there's COVID which throws a whole new angle on everything, from Remington to their 3rd party suppliers.

Honestly I would say an optimistic estimate for anything resembling full-scale production and distribution for Remington would be 9-12 months from now. I think those who are already bemoaning that Remington isn't up and running full steam ahead fail to grasp the realities of the situation.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Regardless of current owner, they have to be sitting on literal TONS of firearm components right now.

Why would you think that?

CDNN and midwayusa.com emails earlier this year were selling stripped receivers, barrels, stock sets, etc. I seriously doubt if there are any components in house in Ilion. My wag is the old Remington sold everything for $.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Remington has nothing significant in the way of parts. It is all liquidated, something no one would do if they were going to make V3's or Versa Max shotguns ever again, for example.

$40 for a VM stock set: https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-ve ... -max5.html . $40 for a V3 walnut stock set: https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-v3 ... orend.html . CDNN is of course making money at those below cost levels: it was all blown out at giveaway prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

...And I purchased an individual V3 buttstock, and a V3 buttstock plus fore-end set. At those prices it seemed silly not to.

The individual buttstock got an adjustable LOP device from https://stockpositioning.com/pages/lop-pad-plates, and the full set is backup to my dinged up original set.

I was foolish and passed on the nice 870 sets for $80. I should have picked up one of those as well, but I chose poorly.

Frankly, if RemArms actually starts making the V3 again I wish they would use fleur-de-lis checkering, the checkering on the Remington V3's is in my opinion ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Remington has nothing significant in the way of parts. It is all liquidated, something no one would do if they were going to make V3's or Versa Max shotguns ever again, for example.

$40 for a VM stock set: https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-ve ... -max5.html . $40 for a V3 walnut stock set: https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-v3 ... orend.html . CDNN is of course making money at those below cost levels: it was all blown out at giveaway prices.

Also, your point about liquidating parts is valid, however it must be noted that this liquidation happened before the auction. RemArms purchased the shell of the previous company after the liquidation and many other actions intended to wring the company dry prior to the auction. RemArms got the remaining assets for a very different price than what those assets would have fetched if the previous owners had not looted the firearms line that we are talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve thought the 870 would look good in the Henry company catalog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CDNN has closed out unwanted/left over parts from a multitude of manufacturers over the years, nothing new there whatsoever.

OK, so they have V3 stocks, where are the bolts, triggers, barrels, ect? Where are all the 870 parts? Where are all the 1100 parts? Where are all the 700 parts?

I find it hard to believe Remington exactly timed all their parts orders so they had the right number of each item to produce an exact quantity of guns.

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:

Are you saying the current owners of Remington liquidated the entirety of the firearm component inventory of Remington? In other words, they are starting at literal zero, not a screw or spring in sight?

[email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:14 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Skeet_Man wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Are you saying the current owners of Remington liquidated the entirety of the firearm component inventory of Remington? In other words, they are starting at literal zero, not a screw or spring in sight?

If I was saying that, I would have said it. As I didn't say that at all, you should readily understand that I'm not suggesting, much less saying that.

All you have to do is read https://cases.primeclerk.com/RemingtonO ... d2=0&cid=0 and you can see the situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I don’t know. I’m sure it’s just me , but sometime I get the impression that there are those who would not only be surprised if Roundhill ( RemArms ) was somehow successful in resurrecting Remington, but also perhaps somewhat disappointed.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)