ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Model 11
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:11 am 
Field Grade

I just acquired a pretty nice 1936 Model 11 shotgun. Back in the 70's I remember looking at the A5's in a 1950's Shooters Bible. I always liked the humpback design and the way the guns cycled. The only shotguns I have are one's that I have inherited, Rem Sportsman 58, Savage 24 22/410, Noble 410. We shoot clays and I go on a very occasional turkey or pheasant hunt. I plan on using the Model 11 for everything now. It is so much fun to shoot!

Brad

Noble .410 pump

Post subject: Re: Remington Model 11
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Well done! The wood is in surprisingly good shape with almost no dings, scrapes, etc. These are great old guns. If you perform even a bit of cursory maintenance, they are as reliable as rain in the Amazon. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Well done! The wood is in surprisingly good shape with almost no dings, scrapes, etc. These are great old guns. If you perform even a bit of cursory maintenance, they are as reliable as rain in the Amazon. Congratulations!

Thanks! The few handling marks on the butt stock is it. The fore arm is flawless. I really don't think it has been used much. The gentleman that owned it passed away a couple years ago. His only son didn't want anything to do with any of his guns. It will definitely be passed down to my kids some day.

Brad

Noble .410 pump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:23 am 
Crown Grade

Very nice shotgun, I’ve got two and use them when I can. Figure out the settings under the forearm and they function well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Very nice shotgun, I’ve got two and use them when I can. Figure out the settings under the forearm and they function well.

I have watched quite a few videos explaining the friction and tapered ring configurations. I noticed on the videos that their brass friction rings had a slight amount of resistance sliding them by hand. My friction ring doesn't have any resistance when I slide it by hand on the magazine tube. I tried a trap load with the rings in the heavy position. It did not eject the spent hull. Switching them around resulted in flawless cycling.

Brad

Noble .410 pump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would avoid shooting heavy loads in your Model 11, because it was made with a canvas cushion or “buffer” in the back of the receiver that prevents the bolt from slamming that area in a metal to metal collision. That buffer has probably long since disintegrated.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
That buffer has probably long since disintegrated.

It's actually still in there. I am not sure of it's condition as I have not disassembled the gun.

I am planning on mostly shooting trap loads. Does #4-5 at 1 1/4oz constitute a heavy load?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Noble .410 pump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you feel the receiver being slammed, then i would back off.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
If you feel the receiver being slammed, then i would back off.

Yes, for sure. I want her to make it to her 100th B day!

Brad

Noble .410 pump

Last edited by BMP on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:01 pm 
Crown Grade

According to the old Remington factory ledger, the receiver with the serial number 416397 was put in work during July 1939. What is the date code on the barrel?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

BMP wrote:
casonet wrote:
That buffer has probably long since disintegrated.

It's actually still in there. I am not sure of it's condition as I have not disassembled the gun.

I am planning on mostly shooting trap loads. Does #4-5 at 1 1/4oz constitute a heavy load?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

You've got a great classic piece of craftsmanship there. Enjoy!

Is the buffer visible without removing the stock, trigger group and or bolt? I have Dad's old 16 Ga. Sportsman model but I only use it once or twice a year just for nostalgia sake. I knew about a buffer being present originally, but haven't given it much thought over the years.

I had it stripped and cleaned ONCE, decades ago and would not begin to think I'm capable of disassembling it. The gunsmith did not mention the buffer back then.

I've probably only got about 100 shells (?) through it since the strip. A mixture of 1 ounce and heavier 1 1/8. I try to hunt dove once a season with it just to honor my dad and think of him using it before I was even born. The memories and meaning attached to that gun are too deep and meaningful to even bore you all with, but many of us have "family gun" stories. They are all meaningful.

In any event, even though it's beat up (by me as a young adult...not my Dad...he took good care of it!), I cherish it. If it needs a buffer, I'll spend the money to have it done, even though it won't get much use.

Somebody else will possibly shoot it after I'm gone. Or part it out. So I might as well make it correct and safe. It's highly, highly, unlikely I will have any heirs that will be hunters or shooters.

Any thoughts on inspecting the buffer and finding a replacement if needed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It must be completely disassembled to access the buffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 am 
Field Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Is the buffer visible without removing the stock, trigger group and or bolt?

The memories and meaning attached to that gun are too deep and meaningful to even bore you all with, but many of us have "family gun" stories. They are all meaningful.

Any thoughts on inspecting the buffer and finding a replacement if needed?

Yes you can shine a light inside and see the buffer piece at the back of the receiver.

I'm sure those memories are some of the same I shared with my Grandpa's shotgun. It's a Remington Sportsman 58. I see all the scratches in the wood now. He used to push fences down so us boys could get through snag free! The bluing is gone on the bottom of the receiver. He carried it cradling it this way. I'm very proud to be it's caretaker!

I would say if it is in there and in tact it is still OK. If parts of it are missing or it is gone then you will need to get it repaired. I saw them for sale on Numrich. It is actually riveted into place so a gunsmith might need to do it for you.

Brad

Noble .410 pump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:44 am 
Field Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
According to the old Remington factory ledger, the receiver with the serial number 416397 was put in work during July 1939. What is the date code on the barrel?

I thought it's manufacturer date was 1936 but you probably know way better than me! There is no date stamping on the barrel but both serial numbers on the barrel and receiver match.

*EDIT* It is stamped DH

Brad

Noble .410 pump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have an old Model 11 service manual with the procedure for replacing the canvas buffer. If anyone wants a copy just drop me a PM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am 
Diamond Grade

I need to look at my 11 buffer. Gun hasn’t been fired in 40+ years and might have had 1 box of shells through it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

BMP wrote:

*EDIT* It is stamped DH

Brad

D = September H = 1939

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I may be wrong on this, but I don’t think that the Browning Auto 5 or the Savage copy had the canvas buffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Never saw a buffer in any Auto 5 I have owned.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm 
Field Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
BMP wrote:

*EDIT* It is stamped DH

Brad

D = September H = 1939

THANK YOU!!!

Brad

Noble .410 pump